next Metroid developer

Platinum Games (Madworld, Vanquish) 18 11.18%

Retro Studios (Metroid prime) 54 33.54%

Vanillaware (Muramasa) 15 9.32%

Grasshopper Manufacture (No more Heroes) 4 2.48%

Internal EAD 48 29.81%

Other (please specify) 22 13.66%

Total:161

Just give it to Retro. The three Metroid Prime games were extremely balanced in the game play department- with a great mix of shooting/adventure/puzzle-solving. I loved the challenge of the series too, and the three Prime games were lengthy adventures as well. And there is no need for lengthy cut scenes and sob stories. I hope Team Ninja (Great developer with the rebirth of the Ninja Gaiden series) will stick to making Ninja Gaiden games and not Metroid 

Human contact, the final frontier.

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Killiana1a said:
darkgemini said:
Killiana1a said:

Retro. Whenever Yosio Sakamoto is given free reign, his vision of Samus means plummeting sales.

Super Metroid was the worst selling Metroid game at 1.42 million sold LTD. The way Other M is selling, if it does not crack the 1 million mark by January 1, 2011, then Other M will be the biggest market flop for a Metroid game ever.

I surmise Other M will make it to the 600 to 800k mark come January 1, 2011. If this is the case, then I will be drinking beers and doing my happy dance because I abhor Sakamoto and his vision of the Metroid franchise that much.

Super Metroid was maybe the worst Metroid Game in Sales, BUT it is the best Metroid Game! And comparing with Hunters, Prime Echoes, etc sales are`t that bad, and only 100.000 less than corruption....

For me, Other M is a very good game, I don´t understand people blaming it that much, because it´s something new.... Hope it will be Another M ;)

I think Team Ninja will make the next Metroid game, maybe another trilogy.... They created a new system and they want to make some profit. Now they know what went wrong and can fix the problems.... And waht people forget, even if Other M wasn´t perfect, it is a very good game (!). Being inferior to the prime series doesn´t mean being bad :o

I agree, Super Metroid was my very first SNES game given to me as a Christmas present by my Dad. It is my favorite in the series.

As for Other M, the way Sakamoto defined Samus as a "subservient, bend to the authority of a male" woman is Japanese-centric and did not play well with many female reviewers outside of Japan. This is the main shit storm regardless of whether it is a fundamentally good game or not.

I prefer a silent Samus who is open to interpretation. Sakamoto chose his vision of Samus that is a slap in the face to how she was presented earlier. This is why I want Other M to fail to meet or exceed 1.42 million which may cause Nintendo to put Sakamoto on a very tight leash away from Metroid.

I have the feeling that being upset with  Samus real - not imagined by the fans in absence of it - character has to do with the frailties of the fans themselves. Lots of men-issues...

The fans determine who Samus is, not Sakamoto. If he would have stayed consistent with the series and portrayed her as a female Duke Nukem minus the sexual references, then it would not have been an issue. Instead, Sakamoto depicted her as a geisha minus the song and dance.

You saw Samus as a female Duke Nukem, and you accuse Sakamoto of being a sexist? Geeh!! There is truly no logic on the internet.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
You saw Samus as a female Duke Nukem, and you accuse Sakamoto of being a sexist? Geeh!! There is truly no logic on the internet. 

You left out the very obvious and relevant MINUS part. Presumably deliberately, since your entire argument with Other M (that it could expand the Metroid fanbase beyond the "hardcore" fans) was proven wrong and you are left with desperate ad hominem.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Killiana1a said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Killiana1a said:
darkgemini said:
Killiana1a said:

Retro. Whenever Yosio Sakamoto is given free reign, his vision of Samus means plummeting sales.

Super Metroid was the worst selling Metroid game at 1.42 million sold LTD. The way Other M is selling, if it does not crack the 1 million mark by January 1, 2011, then Other M will be the biggest market flop for a Metroid game ever.

I surmise Other M will make it to the 600 to 800k mark come January 1, 2011. If this is the case, then I will be drinking beers and doing my happy dance because I abhor Sakamoto and his vision of the Metroid franchise that much.

Super Metroid was maybe the worst Metroid Game in Sales, BUT it is the best Metroid Game! And comparing with Hunters, Prime Echoes, etc sales are`t that bad, and only 100.000 less than corruption....

For me, Other M is a very good game, I don´t understand people blaming it that much, because it´s something new.... Hope it will be Another M ;)

I think Team Ninja will make the next Metroid game, maybe another trilogy.... They created a new system and they want to make some profit. Now they know what went wrong and can fix the problems.... And waht people forget, even if Other M wasn´t perfect, it is a very good game (!). Being inferior to the prime series doesn´t mean being bad :o

I agree, Super Metroid was my very first SNES game given to me as a Christmas present by my Dad. It is my favorite in the series.

As for Other M, the way Sakamoto defined Samus as a "subservient, bend to the authority of a male" woman is Japanese-centric and did not play well with many female reviewers outside of Japan. This is the main shit storm regardless of whether it is a fundamentally good game or not.

I prefer a silent Samus who is open to interpretation. Sakamoto chose his vision of Samus that is a slap in the face to how she was presented earlier. This is why I want Other M to fail to meet or exceed 1.42 million which may cause Nintendo to put Sakamoto on a very tight leash away from Metroid.

I have the feeling that being upset with  Samus real - not imagined by the fans in absence of it - character has to do with the frailties of the fans themselves. Lots of men-issues...

The fans determine who Samus is, not Sakamoto. If he would have stayed consistent with the series and portrayed her as a female Duke Nukem minus the sexual references, then it would not have been an issue. Instead, Sakamoto depicted her as a geisha minus the song and dance.

No kidding, that was probably the single most hubristic thing I have EVER freaking heard in regards to this debate

Retro.

And on FPS form please. And launch title for the nextendo.

Around the Network

I wouldn't mind Team Ninja staying on and developing. I enjoyed most of the mechanics and the controls. I'd like it to be more difficult, and perhaps with a nunchuk and remote control scheme, and with more open environments in addition to the space corridors. Slower paced and slightly longer, too. 

I don't want Sakamoto to have so much creative control over the story and characterisation, though. I wasn't offended or horrified by his story but it added nothing to the experience, really.

Demotruk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

You left out the very obvious and relevant MINUS part. Presumably deliberately, since your entire argument with Other M (that it could expand the Metroid fanbase beyond the "hardcore" fans) was proven wrong and you are left with desperate ad hominem.

I wasn't being selective. The minus thing doesn't matter. The point is that Duke Nukem is a compleet non-character, even without the sex. He's fun, but utterly... utterly brainless. Wasn't Samus supposed to be deep and stuff...? She's supposed to be an intelligent, skilled bountyhunter.  

And second:

What... desperate... me...? Nah! I don't derive my self image from games, nor their sales. Do you?

Anyway, i said that Nintendo wanted to expand the Metroid audience, but... that it clearly wasn't off on a good start. You' re being selective there. And seeing at this point: Other M won't reach the 2 million they projected. A bit of a fail for the expanding part. 

Still miffed about the fact  that Nintendo wanted to shed some of the old purist fans...? They wanted to do it. I meerly pointed out the reasoning for it. But cheer up, they are just - or in the process off - failing their goal. Doesn't that make you happy... or you need a man to tell you to feel happy?

Mr.Metralha said:

Retro.

And on FPS form please. And launch title for the nextendo.

this

Human contact, the final frontier.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Demotruk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I wasn't being selective. The minus thing doesn't matter. The point is that Duke Nukem is a compleet non-character, even without the sex. He's fun, but utterly... utterly brainless. Wasn't Samus supposed to be deep and stuff...? She's supposed to be an intelligent, skilled bountyhunter.  

And second:

What... desperate... me...? Nah! I don't derive my self image from games, nor their sales. Do you?

Anyway, i said that Nintendo wanted to expand the Metroid audience, but... that it clearly wasn't off on a good start. You' re being selective there. And seeing at this point: Other M won't reach the 2 million they projected. A bit of a fail for the expanding part. 

Still miffed about the fact  that Nintendo wanted to shed some of the old purist fans...? They wanted to do it. I meerly pointed out the reasoning for it. But cheer up, they are just - or in the process off - failing their goal. Doesn't that make you happy... or you need a man to tell you to feel happy?

Yes you, ad hominem is a mark of desperation in arguments.

Without the comments, Duke Nukem is just a badass. He has no characterization without them, his brainlessness is only expressed with them. Samus is not supposed to be "deep" or intelligent unless the player views her that way. It is up to the player since the player decides the actions of the character, and actions express more of your personality than words alone. If you play a character running from objective to objective quickly, you are playing with a different personality than someone who messes about with the NPC's or someone who approaches situations slowly and cautiously. The game creator can only decide the player's "character" if the player gives them permission, and they very often don't.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Demotruk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

And second:

Yes you, ad hominem is a mark of desperation in arguments.

Without the comments, Duke Nukem is just a badass. He has no characterization without them, his brainlessness is only expressed with them. Samus is not supposed to be "deep" or intelligent unless the player views her that way. It is up to the player since the player decides the actions of the character, and actions express more of your personality than words alone. If you play a character running from objective to objective quickly, you are playing with a different personality than someone who messes about with the NPC's or someone who approaches situations slowly and cautiously. The game creator can only decide the player's "character" if the player gives them permission, and they very often don't.

Are You sure that 'ad hominem' in your post didn't stand for 'projecting my grieves'? 

Comparitive to the Duke Samus was a deep character, even if she runs around quickly. Even the whole thing with the Baby metroid in SM made her more realistich then him. She had little characterisation before Other M, but it still was far better then the Duke.

Playing styles couldn't be that different. Fighting bosses, going through the big sectors doors and such cap the possible speed to a base level. There is no choice at that point. You are forced to experience a clearly preprogrammed Samus. A base characterisation of Samus in your opinion then. A intelligent, skilled bountyhunter?  

Bold: The gamecreator needs permission from the player? Why would he? The only thing the player could do is not buy the game. Each franchise loses gamers with each installment. That's normal.