Platinum Games (Madworld, Vanquish) 18 11.18%

Retro Studios (Metroid prime) 54 33.54%

Vanillaware (Muramasa) 15 9.32%

Grasshopper Manufacture (No more Heroes) 4 2.48%

Internal EAD 48 29.81%

Other (please specify) 22 13.66%

Total:161
Aiddon said:

The ship was under military jurisdiction, Samus is not part of the military and was not authorized at first. If the military has jurisdiction you WILL follow their orders whether you like it or not. It's like how people can't just walk onto a crime scene being investigated by the police unless having been authorized first and even then they can have that right revoked at the drop of a hat. This is not rocket science, sure the military isn't Jehovah but you can't exactly go willy-nilly on their turf without their permission first.

Source? No making stuff up to support your case please, where does it say in the game that the bottle ship is military jurisdiction. Also, by the time Samus starts obeying orders, she has been given no information or directive from Adam that this is somewhere she cannot be or where Adam has authority. The game simply tells you that "Samus has decided not to use bombs or missiles until Adam has authorized them". ie. it was Samus' personal decision to obey Adam and not due to jurisdiction of any kind.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Aiddon said:

The ship was under military jurisdiction, Samus is not part of the military and was not authorized at first. If the military has jurisdiction you WILL follow their orders whether you like it or not. It's like how people can't just walk onto a crime scene being investigated by the police unless having been authorized first and even then they can have that right revoked at the drop of a hat. This is not rocket science, sure the military isn't Jehovah but you can't exactly go willy-nilly on their turf without their permission first.

Source? No making stuff up to support your case please, where does it say in the game that the bottle ship is military jurisdiction. Also, by the time Samus starts obeying orders, she has been given no information or directive from Adam that this is somewhere she cannot be or where Adam has authority. The game simply tells you that "Samus has decided not to use bombs or missiles until Adam has authorized them". ie. it was Samus' personal decision to obey Adam and not due to jurisdiction of any kind.

It was a military operation and Samus was an outsider to it. Adam ALLOWED her to tag along and could have told her to leave if he had felt like it. Case in point is the end of the game where the Colonel says Samus no longer has any place on the ship due to the people who authorized her involvement having been killed (though of course Anthony rebukes that). There's your "source" now get out of my face

Aiddon said:

It was a military operation and Samus was an outsider to it. Adam ALLOWED her to tag along and could have told her to leave if he had felt like it. Case in point is the end of the game where the Colonel says Samus no longer has any place on the ship due to the people who authorized her involvement having been killed (though of course Anthony rebukes that). There's your "source" now get out of my face

It was a military "operation", but Samus did not have to be a part of said operation to still be on the bottle-ship and investigate for herself. If it really was military jurisdiction Adam should have said it, and until someone does Samus has no reason not to be there.

I'm hoping for retro to make metroid prime 4 for the next nintendo console. Metroid would be sweet with xbox360/pc/ps3 level graphics.

Random picks FTW!

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

Platinum games AKA Clover Studio AKA the guys who made Okami AKA the Only great Zelda clone in the universe (and one of my favorite games).

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Killiana1a said:
darkgemini said:
Killiana1a said:

Retro. Whenever Yosio Sakamoto is given free reign, his vision of Samus means plummeting sales.

Super Metroid was the worst selling Metroid game at 1.42 million sold LTD. The way Other M is selling, if it does not crack the 1 million mark by January 1, 2011, then Other M will be the biggest market flop for a Metroid game ever.

I surmise Other M will make it to the 600 to 800k mark come January 1, 2011. If this is the case, then I will be drinking beers and doing my happy dance because I abhor Sakamoto and his vision of the Metroid franchise that much.

Super Metroid was maybe the worst Metroid Game in Sales, BUT it is the best Metroid Game! And comparing with Hunters, Prime Echoes, etc sales are`t that bad, and only 100.000 less than corruption....

For me, Other M is a very good game, I don´t understand people blaming it that much, because it´s something new.... Hope it will be Another M ;)

I think Team Ninja will make the next Metroid game, maybe another trilogy.... They created a new system and they want to make some profit. Now they know what went wrong and can fix the problems.... And waht people forget, even if Other M wasn´t perfect, it is a very good game (!). Being inferior to the prime series doesn´t mean being bad :o

I agree, Super Metroid was my very first SNES game given to me as a Christmas present by my Dad. It is my favorite in the series.

As for Other M, the way Sakamoto defined Samus as a "subservient, bend to the authority of a male" woman is Japanese-centric and did not play well with many female reviewers outside of Japan. This is the main shit storm regardless of whether it is a fundamentally good game or not.

I prefer a silent Samus who is open to interpretation. Sakamoto chose his vision of Samus that is a slap in the face to how she was presented earlier. This is why I want Other M to fail to meet or exceed 1.42 million which may cause Nintendo to put Sakamoto on a very tight leash away from Metroid.

I have the feeling that being upset with  Samus real - not imagined by the fans in absence of it - character has to do with the frailties of the fans themselves. Lots of men-issues...

The fans determine who Samus is, not Sakamoto. If he would have stayed consistent with the series and portrayed her as a female Duke Nukem minus the sexual references, then it would not have been an issue. Instead, Sakamoto depicted her as a geisha minus the song and dance.

Aiddon said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Killiana1a said:
darkgemini said:
Killiana1a said:

Retro. Whenever Yosio Sakamoto is given free reign, his vision of Samus means plummeting sales.

Super Metroid was the worst selling Metroid game at 1.42 million sold LTD. The way Other M is selling, if it does not crack the 1 million mark by January 1, 2011, then Other M will be the biggest market flop for a Metroid game ever.

I surmise Other M will make it to the 600 to 800k mark come January 1, 2011. If this is the case, then I will be drinking beers and doing my happy dance because I abhor Sakamoto and his vision of the Metroid franchise that much.

Super Metroid was maybe the worst Metroid Game in Sales, BUT it is the best Metroid Game! And comparing with Hunters, Prime Echoes, etc sales are`t that bad, and only 100.000 less than corruption....

For me, Other M is a very good game, I don´t understand people blaming it that much, because it´s something new.... Hope it will be Another M ;)

I think Team Ninja will make the next Metroid game, maybe another trilogy.... They created a new system and they want to make some profit. Now they know what went wrong and can fix the problems.... And waht people forget, even if Other M wasn´t perfect, it is a very good game (!). Being inferior to the prime series doesn´t mean being bad :o

I agree, Super Metroid was my very first SNES game given to me as a Christmas present by my Dad. It is my favorite in the series.

As for Other M, the way Sakamoto defined Samus as a "subservient, bend to the authority of a male" woman is Japanese-centric and did not play well with many female reviewers outside of Japan. This is the main shit storm regardless of whether it is a fundamentally good game or not.

I prefer a silent Samus who is open to interpretation. Sakamoto chose his vision of Samus that is a slap in the face to how she was presented earlier. This is why I want Other M to fail to meet or exceed 1.42 million which may cause Nintendo to put Sakamoto on a very tight leash away from Metroid.

I have the feeling that being upset with  Samus real - not imagined by the fans in absence of it - character has to do with the frailties of the fans themselves. Lots of men-issues...

That and they no longer get to play Space Marine Barbie as she's now her own woman. In a way it was basically Sakamoto telling gamers "YOU WERE WRONG!" right to their faces. And there are few things people hate more than being told/proven that they're wrong.

No, the fans who built the franchise are never wrong. Sakamoto was wrong in conveying Samus as your stereotypical geisha type woman who will not do anything unless a male tells her to. If Sakamoto would have stayed consistent with the series and portrayed her as expected as a female Duke Nukem minus the sexual references, then there would be no controversy.

^Exactly. There is no "real" Samus, she is a character who exists in people's minds. Suddenly turning her into a "character" rather than an empty vessel upon which the player can project his/her ideas was a terrible idea, made worse by the particular characterization chosen.

I think TEAM NINJA will co-develop the next game (if there is one) but I think they'll alter (and hopefully improve) a few things. Fortunately (for someone like me who thought other m was actually pretty good) I don't think they'll need to alter anything that will change the core game, I just think they'll do something different with the cutscenes next time around...Let's be honest, if Samus hadn't spoken (and the game was EXACTLY the same) it would have removed a large amount of narrowminded fanboy hate just like that.!