By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Pre-Orders UP!!!! (Week ending 2nd Oct 2010)

darthdevidem01 said:

GT5 WILL Outsell GT4 at least.......its actually a TREND:

- MGS4 outsold MGS3

- FF13 outsold FF12 (that too within 6 months of launch)

- GOW3 will do it soon (that too within 1 year of launch!!)

- DMC4 did it (outsold DMC3)

Why won't GT5 outsell GT4?

Every new iteration of a franchise this gen is outselling the last iteration of the last gen!

Oh, wow!

I totally agree with this, and it's not because you posted on my wall about it at all!

FU PS2! FU!!

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

GT5 WILL Outsell GT4 at least.......its actually a TREND:

- MGS4 outsold MGS3

- FF13 outsold FF12 (that too within 6 months of launch)

- GOW3 will do it soon (that too within 1 year of launch!!)

- DMC4 did it (outsold DMC3)

Why won't GT5 outsell GT4?

Every new iteration of a franchise this gen is outselling the last iteration of the last gen!

Oh, wow!

I totally agree with this, and it's not because you posted on my wall about it at all!

FU PS2! FU!!

What post on your wall

*Is confused*

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Are all the GT5 fans going to use nos. from a Sony run site or VGC nos.?  I have no idea if the GT franchise nos. from Polyphony, a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment, include digital downloads but it would explain a lot.  No way the nos. here are off by 1.3m on Prologue. 

The biggest drawback I see to my prediction of 10.5 WW, LT, SW sold to consumers on VGC is GT6.  Every week that goes by without a surge in Am. POs means more sales will have to be made up sometime in the future or somewhere else. 

If they push out a sequel in two or three years then the legs the series is so famous for won't have as much time to take effect.  Maybe track packs or driveable dlc will extend this edition but they'll want to give GT6 a year or two to sell before they discontinue PS3.  That is assuming a reasonable level of communication and forethought.

Likewise every unit not sold in Am. has to go elsewhere.  Japan would need to sell 210k more than GT4 did to hit 1.5m.  Conceding that and figuring  on 2.5m in Am., another optimistic estimate from what little I have to go by, then EMEAA will need to buy 6.5m copies.  I doubt they're up to it right now.  Things are tough all over.

viStaR said:
Pyramid12 said:
viStaR said:
Fab_GS said:
viStaR said:

5.5M in europe is way too MUCH! Not even Cod MW2 has that so no other game will have...

in Americas may be at 2M.

I Believe 2.1M in americas , 3.1M EMEAA and 1.5M in Japan for a total of 6.8M WW.

Gran Turismo sales:-

Game Americas Japan EMEAA Worldwide
Gran Turismo (PS) - 1998
Sony Computer Entertainment             
3.99 2.55 4.31 10.85
Gran Turismo 2 (PS) - 1999
3.96 1.71 3.70 9.37
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2) - 2001
7.14 1.89 5.86 14.89
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue (PS2) - 2004
0.00 0.79 0.57 1.36
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) - 2005                         
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3) - 2008
1.12 0.57 2.19 3.88

Ps2 : 150M Consoles

Ps3 : By GT5 Launch : 38.6 -

GT3 at launch = less ps2 console sold than what PS3 has now.

GT3 life time = nearly 15m

you want more?

GOD OF WAR 1-2 = ps2 install base over 100m release

GOD of war 3 = ps3 install base 36m at release

still GOW3 sales > gow 1 and 2.

KEEP TRYING tho.

Racing Sims years ago were much more popular... If FIFA doesnt sell more than 3M in EU it wont be GT.

what are you on about?

I just proved your userbase theory wrong.

here's another example MGS4 > MGS3 with MGS3 launching in a console with over 100m userbase while MGS4 launched at what? ps3 24m userbase.

YOUR USERBASE ARGUMENT IS VOID.

Recon1O1 said:

Are all the GT5 fans going to use nos. from a Sony run site or VGC nos.?  I have no idea if the GT franchise nos. from Polyphony, a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment, include digital downloads but it would explain a lot.  No way the nos. here are off by 1.3m on Prologue.

Underlined and bolded: Precisely.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
huaxiong90 said:
Recon1O1 said:

You have a GEOW avatar yet you support GT5

Hey carl is this the spy you sent to the xbox 360 kingdom? We can't have him giving his identity away!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Recon1O1 said:

Hey carl is this the spy you sent to the xbox 360 kingdom? We can't have him giving his identity away!

But I thought my job was to act discreet only in Microsoft discussion threa-OOPS!

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

darthdevidem01 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Recon1O1 said:

SHHHHHHHHHH!

Jesus darth, do you want to give everything away!? 360 Ninjas are on patrol 24/7, if they realize what's happening were screwed! Do you really want me to die!? Do yo...

bleh

ProdigyBam said:
viStaR said:
Fab_GS said:
viStaR said:

5.5M in europe is way too MUCH! Not even Cod MW2 has that so no other game will have...

in Americas may be at 2M.

I Believe 2.1M in americas , 3.1M EMEAA and 1.5M in Japan for a total of 6.8M WW.

Gran Turismo sales:-

Game Americas Japan EMEAA Worldwide
Gran Turismo (PS) - 1998
3.99 2.55 4.31 10.85
Gran Turismo 2 (PS) - 1999
3.96 1.71 3.70 9.37
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2) - 2001
7.14 1.89 5.86 14.89
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue (PS2) - 2004
0.00 0.79 0.57 1.36
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) - 2005                         
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3) - 2008
1.12 0.57 2.19 3.88

Ps2 : 150M Consoles

Ps3 : By GT5 Launch : 38.6 -

GT3 launched on a 20 Million userbase

GT5 on a 39 Million userbase

Btw, with download sales GT5: Prolouge is already over 5 Million (5 million shipped by june)

Wasn't GT3 bundled a lot? If so, that comparison is rather moot.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

The reasoning that a larger userbase would usually mean larger sales for games of similar quality has exceptions to the basic rule.  Darth makes a strong case for a trend showing that PS3 has broken the rule with consistency.  Perhaps Sony has a bigger advantage this gen in system and brand loyalty.  The people who waited for the PS3 are even more likely to buy the Playstation's IPs.  Losing exclusivity on a couple of franchises has just focused that reaction.  That and this gens games may actually be higher quality.  They certainly look better.

The only logical glitch I see in arguments saying that GTgames sold to a PS2 userbase of 40m or 60m at launch is the legs we hear so much about.  If GT4 for instance sold well over the long-term then many of those sales occurred late in the gen. on a larger base.  We'll see if PS Nation continues to break the rules.