By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Pre-Orders UP!!!! (Week ending 2nd Oct 2010)

johnglen said:

GT5p has sold nowhere near 5 million.

Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” = 4.95m sold this including DOWNLOADS from PSN aswell as physical copy sold.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

OFFICIAL  PD site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Random guy on VGC who loves to downplay anything PS related.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Pyramid12 said:
Michael-5 said:

Compare GT5 Prologue sales in Japan to GT4 Prologue sales in Japan (EMEAA figures should be ignored because Prologue came out a month before the game did in EMEAA). With 2 years to sell GT5P, instead of 1 year GT4P had, GT5P still undersold GT4P by 220k. GT4P outsold GT5P by 38.6% in half the time.

GT3 also was bundled heavily in Americas, all other GT's did not sell that well in Americas. GT5 Pre-orders indicate the same trend all past GT games have had. So if GT5 manages to somehow do as well as all past GT's, it will only get 10 million at best, but with weak attention in Japan, and weak Pre-orders in Americas, I doubt it will do that well.

So I think GT5 will sell 8.5 million, which is stll damn good for a PS3 exclusive, and very reasonable.

OK.......?

Compare GT5P to GT4p?

GT5P = 5m sold ON A CONSOLE WITH 37m userbase

GT4P = 1.3m ON A CONSOLE WITH OVER 100m userbase.

thx for further proving my point.

GT games never sold well in NA? is that why GT4 sold nearly 3m in NA while FIRST WEEK sales is LOWER than GOD OF WAR 3 in NA?

And 10m at best? that fine with me since that will make 90% of the ppl in this forum EAT CROW.

Thanks for ignoring my point entirely. GT4 Prologue was not released on the PS2 in Americas, and was only released in EMEAA a month before GT4. The only viable market you can compare GT5P and GT4P is in Japan, and GT4P outsold GT5P by roughly 38%, even though it was released only a year before GT4, opposed to GT5P being released 2 years before GT5.

I am not making any userbase arguement, strictly sales. Baised off GT5P sales, GT5 will not be as strong in Japan as prior GT games. With the poor Pre-orders GT5's is getting in Americas, GT5 sales at best will mimic GT 1, 2, or 4 sales, and even then I doubt that. The evidence I have presented shows that in Japan and Americas, GT5 will not be as strong as prior GT games. It will still be a strong game, my predicted 8.5 million sales is nothing to laugh about. Forza games generally only get about 4 million.

3 million in Americas is strong, but if you expect the game to sell 10 million, your putting a lot of pressure on the EMEAA regions.

BTW eat crow??

And thats where GT5 shines my boy EMEAA.

ever notice how halo reach sold 3m in NA while EMEAA and JAPAN ain't that strong? yeh? well same with GT5 but this time EMEAA is the HIGHEST out of 3 region.

and yeh if GT5 lands a 10m lots of crow serving is gonna happen around here heck just 9m is enough to have massive crow serving, If you made silly claims about GT5 before(I dunno like 5m LTD or sumthing?) EDIT IT QUICKLY LOL!

Pyramid12 said:
Michael-5 said:
Pyramid12 said:
Michael-5 said:

Compare GT5 Prologue sales in Japan to GT4 Prologue sales in Japan (EMEAA figures should be ignored because Prologue came out a month before the game did in EMEAA). With 2 years to sell GT5P, instead of 1 year GT4P had, GT5P still undersold GT4P by 220k. GT4P outsold GT5P by 38.6% in half the time.

GT3 also was bundled heavily in Americas, all other GT's did not sell that well in Americas. GT5 Pre-orders indicate the same trend all past GT games have had. So if GT5 manages to somehow do as well as all past GT's, it will only get 10 million at best, but with weak attention in Japan, and weak Pre-orders in Americas, I doubt it will do that well.

So I think GT5 will sell 8.5 million, which is stll damn good for a PS3 exclusive, and very reasonable.

OK.......?

Compare GT5P to GT4p?

GT5P = 5m sold ON A CONSOLE WITH 37m userbase

GT4P = 1.3m ON A CONSOLE WITH OVER 100m userbase.

thx for further proving my point.

GT games never sold well in NA? is that why GT4 sold nearly 3m in NA while FIRST WEEK sales is LOWER than GOD OF WAR 3 in NA?

And 10m at best? that fine with me since that will make 90% of the ppl in this forum EAT CROW.

Thanks for ignoring my point entirely. GT4 Prologue was not released on the PS2 in Americas, and was only released in EMEAA a month before GT4. The only viable market you can compare GT5P and GT4P is in Japan, and GT4P outsold GT5P by roughly 38%, even though it was released only a year before GT4, opposed to GT5P being released 2 years before GT5.

I am not making any userbase arguement, strictly sales. Baised off GT5P sales, GT5 will not be as strong in Japan as prior GT games. With the poor Pre-orders GT5's is getting in Americas, GT5 sales at best will mimic GT 1, 2, or 4 sales, and even then I doubt that. The evidence I have presented shows that in Japan and Americas, GT5 will not be as strong as prior GT games. It will still be a strong game, my predicted 8.5 million sales is nothing to laugh about. Forza games generally only get about 4 million.

3 million in Americas is strong, but if you expect the game to sell 10 million, your putting a lot of pressure on the EMEAA regions.

BTW eat crow??

And thats where GT5 shines my boy EMEAA.

ever notice how halo reach sold 3m in NA while EMEAA and JAPAN ain't that strong? yeh? well same with GT5 but this time EMEAA is the HIGHEST out of 3 region.

and yeh if GT5 lands a 10m lots of crow serving is gonna happen around here heck just 9m is enough to have massive crow serving, If you made silly claims about GT5 before(I dunno like 5m LTD or sumthing?) EDIT IT QUICKLY LOL!

Oh I know GT shines in the EMEAA region, and if GT5 sells 3 million in Americas, there is a reasonable chance that it will sell 10 million WW. I just think 3 million Americas and 10 million WW are best case scenarios. Possible, just unlikely.

Just looking at trends, GT games have been loosing popularity in Japan over time, GT5P only sold about 1.5 million in Americas, and well, I've made my point.

I'm thinking 8.5 million, which is still good.

P.S. of course GT5 will sell better in EMEAA, it's PS3's largest market, and also the most car crazed market of the three.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Pyramid12 said:
johnglen said:

Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” = 4.95m sold this including DOWNLOADS from PSN aswell as physical copy sold.

OFFICIAL  PD site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Random guy on VGC who loves to downplay anything PS related.

To be fair, Polyphony includes shipped copies of the game. GT4 only sold 10.56 million units, not 11.06 million.

Still GT5P sales are above 4 million including digital downloads. It's probably closer to 4.5-4.7 million, but it will get to 5 million by the end (unless they stop shipping the game).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Pyramid12 said:
johnglen said:

To be fair, Polyphony includes shipped copies of the game. GT4 only sold 10.56 million units, not 11.06 million.

Still GT5P sales are above 4 million including digital downloads. It's probably closer to 4.5-4.7 million, but it will get to 5 million by the end (unless they stop shipping the game).

Yup 4.5-4.7m is about right, which still proves the guy is wrong for saying GT5p isn't close to 5m LOL! =)

Around the Network

Epic Yarn isn't doing too bad

sorry to ask

where is the BlackOPs vs MW2 vs Reach chartz in this thread ? i didnt see it !

plz ;)

Time to Work !

GT5 will easily sell 10 million Worldwide and in Europe 5-6 million alone.

darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:

Even though GT5 is definitly going to outsell Forza based on the pre-orders alone, its important to remember that GT5 is also competing with every GT that has come before it, and those are some very big shoes to fill...

Edit: oh and Godofwar3ever, it looks like GOW3 is about to sell 3mil, maybe this or next week, do you think it can reach 5mil. i'm really impressed with GOW3 so far, i think it can get to 4.5mil, perhaps being the best selling action game of the gen!

GT5 will outsell the last GT release on PS2  which was GT4.......why you ask?

- MGS4 did it (outsold MGS3)

- FF13 did it (outsold FF12, that too within 6 months of launch)

- GOW3 did it (outsold GOW2 that too within 6 months of launch)

- DMC4 did it (outsold DMC3)

Why won't GT5 do it?

EDIT: GOW3 hasn't done it....but it will by the end of the holidays!

This is actully a very logical argument, however none of those games had to sell 10mil copies, which even MW2 couldnt do, and Forza and other racers may have eaten some of GT's market in that time. either way i hope your right, and it far exceeds the previous installments. oh and i'm not sure if your a GOW3 fan, but i'm very impressed with the sales of that game, looks like it could be a 5mil seller.

A203D said:
darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:

Even though GT5 is definitly going to outsell Forza based on the pre-orders alone, its important to remember that GT5 is also competing with every GT that has come before it, and those are some very big shoes to fill...

Edit: oh and Godofwar3ever, it looks like GOW3 is about to sell 3mil, maybe this or next week, do you think it can reach 5mil. i'm really impressed with GOW3 so far, i think it can get to 4.5mil, perhaps being the best selling action game of the gen!

GT5 will outsell the last GT release on PS2  which was GT4.......why you ask?

- MGS4 did it (outsold MGS3)Heavily bundled with the last backward compatible PS3, and still half a million behind MGS1 and MGS2.

- FF13 did it (outsold FF12, that too within 6 months of launch) Did not outsell FFXII, even combined sales only just matched FFXII sales recently. On a single platform, FFXIII did not outsell FFXII.

- GOW3 did it (outsold GOW2 that too within 6 months of launch) God of War 2: 3.13 million, God of War 3: 2.98 million. Did not do it yet, but it will. Still I blaime this one on GoW2 being released on an obsolete console (was released on PS2 after PS3 was released). God of War 1 sold 3.74 million.

- DMC4 did it (outsold DMC3) DMC4 did not outsell DMC3 on a snigle platform. Just because combined 360 and PS3 sales did it, doesn't mean on the PS3 alone it would have. Only sold about 65% as well as DMC3 on a single platform.

Why won't GT5 do it?

EDIT: GOW3 hasn't done it....but it will by the end of the holidays!

This is actully a very logical argument, however none of those games had to sell 10mil copies, which even MW2 couldnt do, and Forza and other racers may have eaten some of GT's market in that time. either way i hope your right, and it far exceeds the previous installments. oh and i'm not sure if your a GOW3 fan, but i'm very impressed with the sales of that game, looks like it could be a 5mil seller.

As you see, most of those examples are invalid. Even then, best case GT5 can sell as well as the worst GT game before it (GT2), which only sold 9.37 million units. I predict 8.5 million sales, which is reasonable.