By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handhelds are not Consoles..

Handhelds are not Consoles..

Yes they are. 130 53.72%

The newer ones are. 8 3.31%

Dunno. 3 1.24%

No they arent. 80 33.06%

I Dont care. 21 8.68%

Total:242
kowenicki said:

NOUN

console (plural consoles)

• A cabinet designed to stand on the floor.
  • A cabinet that controls, instruments, and displays are mounted upon.
  • The keyboard and screen of a computer.
  • A storage tray or container mounted between the seats of an automobile.
  • (video games) A video game console, especially as opposed to a handheld.
  • (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight
  •  

I like 5.

Oh I love #5 now

Noun

1. A cabinet designed to stand on the floor.
    2. A cabinet that controls, instruments, and displays are mounted upon.
    3. The keyboard and screen of a computer.
    4. A storage tray or container mounted between the seats of an automobile.
    5. (video games) A device dedicated to playing video games, set apart from arcade cabinets by its ability to change games.
    6. (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight.

Especially now that it uses the CORRECT definition.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

ON TOPIC - to me they are both consoles, just portable gaming console vs. static gaming console (same as cellphone vs. phone, they are both phones, portable air conditioner vs. static air conditioner, they are both air conditioners, etc). Though I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

NOT ON TOPIC - I just have to ask - why has everyone and his sister changed their Avatar to this Samus Aran "Obey Me" Avatar?

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

yes they are

bmmb1 said:

ON TOPIC - to me they are both consoles, just portable gaming console vs. static gaming console (same as cellphone vs. phone, they are both phones, portable air conditioner vs. static air conditioner, they are both air conditioners, etc). Though I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

NOT ON TOPIC - I just have to ask - why has everyone and his sister changed their Avatar to this Samus Aran "Obey Me" Avatar?

On Topic: Totally agree. They are subsets, but both technically consoles. No one should fret, except maybe the PS2 vs DS, which is still dumb.

Off topic: Rol thread about Metroid: Other M

bmmb1 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=117163------that should answer your off topic question. lol

Around the Network
    c0rd said:

You do realize, he pulled that out of wiki?

I personally don't think of handhelds when I hear "console," though mainly because I've barely dealt with handhelds (other than Pokemon, and the recent DS). Sadly, it seems this thread is mainly filled with people with an agenda - the whole PS2 vs DS being the top selling console deal...

I can say, honestly and without duplicity, that this never crossed my mind.

bmmb1 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=117163

kowenicki said:

NOUN

• (architecture) An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight
  •  

I like 5.

"Handheld" is not a noun, it's an adjective placed in front of a noun. Like a handheld radio, or a handheld remote control or a handheld video games console.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Oh really? So I guess a portable tv, is not a tv, a portable DVD is not a DVD, a laptop, is not a computer... and a handheld is not a console, going by that logic >_>

Demotruk said:
    kowenicki said:

NOUN

•  

I like 5.

"Handheld" is not a noun, it's an adjective placed in front of a noun. Like a handheld radio, or a handheld remote control or a handheld video games console.

Pssssst I've already fixed that

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000