By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handhelds are not Consoles..

Handhelds are not Consoles..

Yes they are. 130 53.72%

The newer ones are. 8 3.31%

Dunno. 3 1.24%

No they arent. 80 33.06%

I Dont care. 21 8.68%

Total:242

IMO.

When i think of Consoles i think of something that is static and stays in one place, not something that you can use portably.
I also see handhelds as a form of lesser (probably not the right word) gaming, because its strange going from, lets say a PS3 to  DS, and noticing the difference in the game. Handheld games are usually not very impressive in a graphical way.
However this does not mean they dont have good games, in fact i think they have great games. 

So whats everyones opinion about this?

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming

Around the Network

'Handheld video games console' is a subclass of 'video game console'. Simple as that. Similarly, 'home video game console' is also a subclass.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Handhelds are consoles. That's a fact and not an opinion.

Demotruk said:

'Handheld video games console' is a subclass of 'video game console'. Simple as that. Similarly, 'home video game console' is also a subclass.

Yea i know that.
But what im trying to say is do you see them as a console, not by definition, but by limitations.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming

ConnorJCP said:
Demotruk said:

Yea i know that.
But what im trying to say is do you see them as a console, not by definition, but by limitations.

They are consoles, they do what a console does. I see no valid reason to not consider them consoles. The idea that their lesser graphical capabilities means they aren't consoles implies that the NES, SNES etc. are not consoles.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

I consider them portable gaming devices and not home consoles.

But what if I connect my PSP to my TV?  Would you consider it a console, then?  What if I had a 5 inch LCD monitor for my Gamecube (which I really did) and I took it everywhere.  Would it be a portable, then?  Just some food for thought.

An mp3 player is still a music player

A laptop is still a computer

Takeaway coffee is still coffee

Sex in an aeroplane bathroom is still sex

I can go on?

their consoles, just portable consoles

ConnorJCP said:

I also see handhelds as a form of lesser (probably not the right word) gaming, because its strange going from, lets say a PS3 to  DS, and noticing the difference in the game. Handheld games are usually not very impressive in a graphical way.
However this does not mean they dont have good games, in fact i think they have great games. 

So whats everyones opinion about this?

My opinion is that you have a view of games that's way, way, waaaaaaaaay too narrow. if you hinge your idea of legitimacy for a platform based on its technical power then you've effectively annihilated 5 generations of gaming from the canon, which is ludicrous.