By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handhelds are not Consoles..

Handhelds are not Consoles..

Yes they are. 130 53.72%

The newer ones are. 8 3.31%

Dunno. 3 1.24%

No they arent. 80 33.06%

I Dont care. 21 8.68%

Total:242
KylieDog said:

A MP3 player is different to a walkman as is different to a discman.  They are all music players as you put it but different devices.  They are not all walkmans.

Same as a video game handheld is to a games console is to an arcade cabinet (and even a PC).  They all play games but are different devices.  They are not all consoles.

They (portables and home consoles) are all consoles - the problem is that we've allowed the nomenclature to degrade to the point that we no longer add a qualifier to home consoles. Consoles are defined by their specialization and their free availability for the average consumer. Home consoles and portable consoles are both consoles.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Khuutra said:

They (portables and home consoles) are all consoles - the problem is that we've allowed the nomenclature to degrade to the point that we no longer add a qualifier to home consoles. Consoles are defined by their specialization and their free availability for the average consumer. Home consoles and portable consoles are both consoles.

This is a trend that emerges from fanboy sales wars, I don't give a monkeys and nobody called handhelds a console for most of my gaming life which is more than 2 decades now, thus I never will.

If you refuse to adapt to changing language because you've been using it a certain way, you're going to have trouble adjusting to English as you grow older.

They're different types of devices, but are both consoles.

I suppose I classify them as home consoles and portable gaming devices.

Similiar to a house phone and a mobile. They're both phones, but there is a clear distinction.

Living in Sweden there's no choice but to call handhelds consoles. We call them "bärbara/portabla konsoller/spelmaskiner" or portable consoles. You can't just call them portables or handhelds in Swedish cause that would make zero sense in our language.

Saying a portable console isn't a console is like saying a mobile phone isn't a phone.

KylieDog said:
scottie said:

An mp3 player is still a music player

A laptop is still a computer

Takeaway coffee is still coffee

Sex in an aeroplane bathroom is still sex

I can go on?

A MP3 player is different to a walkman as is different to a discman.  They are all music players as you put it but different devices.  They are not all walkmans.

Same as a video game handheld is to a games console is to an arcade cabinet (and even a PC).  They all play games but are different devices.  They are not all consoles.

A PC's primary function isn't playing games, though.  It's just one of a PC's several options.  An arcade cabinet tends to only play the game originally built inside of it.  A walkman is a type of music player.  A discman is a type of music player.  An ipod is a type of music player but, like it was stated, they're all music players.  Music player is the big category that gets divided into smaller categories--not Walkman!

Console is the big category that gets divided, in this case.  Portable consoles, Nintendo consoles, etc.  A portable can play different games from a library.  It can often play the same games as the home consoles.  A portable console is a console. 

Around the Network

Yes they are, they're just smaller, have a built in screen and controller, and cheaper (excluding the PSP Go and 3DS...).

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

Example:  Genesis plays cartridges.  Console.  Take those exact same cartridges and put them inside of a Sega Nomad?  Take Turbografx-16 cards and put them into the portable Turbo Express.  Where's the dispute, here?  This is like saying a portable TV isn't a TV.

I find this debate pretty weird because back in the day the Gameboy was never considered a console. Handhelds and consoles were two different sides of the same coin. They key differences were that it was portable and had its own screen whereas a console was stationary and plugged into a TV. The definition has clearly changed, but I am not sure when.

Its not rocket science although judging by the numbers who said yes I do wonder.

They are Handheld consoles. A console is the static type under your TV.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Even then, they considered themselves compact/portable systems (AKA consoles).