By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe PS3 Will Be #1 Selling Console In 2011 What Do You Believe In?

Fumanchu said:
Euphoria14 said:

Didn't the Wii cut price last year to $199.99 after the PS3 dropped to $299.99? Not to mention, didn't Wii introduce a $149.99 Legacy edition or something this year?

I think the Wii is in the worst position overall when it comes to price cuts.

Whoops yeah you're right.  It's just Microsoft that hasn't dropped their lowest SKU price since September 2008.

You would have to think that 5 years in now, that profits would be a bigger priority than appeasing fans and their ego's chasing the competition and fighting over the last remaining scraps.  I haven't seen their books but I'm pretty sure the PS3 is still currently the least profitable console, maybe Sony's just happy with smaller profit margins than the others?

I think if they cut the price this holiday season to meet their projections they'll handily outsell the competition and continue to do very well next year...don't know about their ledger though.

Where does this 5 year number come from? PS3 release in US and Japan in November 2006 and in EU in March 2007.

PS3 hasn't even been out a full 4 years yet in US and JPN and only 3 1/2 years in EU.

PS3 is still very young.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Fumanchu said:
Euphoria14 said:

Didn't the Wii cut price last year to $199.99 after the PS3 dropped to $299.99? Not to mention, didn't Wii introduce a $149.99 Legacy edition or something this year?

Whoops yeah you're right.  It's just Microsoft that hasn't dropped their lowest SKU price since September 2008.

You would have to think that 5 years in now, that profits would be a bigger priority than appeasing fans and their ego's chasing the competition and fighting over the last remaining scraps.  I haven't seen their books but I'm pretty sure the PS3 is still currently the least profitable console, maybe Sony's just happy with smaller profit margins than the others?

I think if they cut the price this holiday season to meet their projections they'll handily outsell the competition and continue to do very well next year...don't know about their ledger though.

Where does this 5 year number come from? PS3 release in US and Japan in November 2006 and in EU in March 2007.

PS3 hasn't even been out a full 4 years yet in US and JPN and only 3 1/2 years in EU.

PS3 is still very young.

Well its fifth holiday in US and Japan. 

Euphoria14 said:
reidlosdog said:
Euphoria14 said:
reidlosdog said:

Becuase it cost 599 originally.

Can you explain a price cut, that will not hurt Sony, when they have a larger HDD, Blue-Ray player (which is easily costing them $80 alone to produce and ship out), wireless internet (cheap, only G capability, I actually think this is the reason they were able to do a price cut), a Move controller, Eye Toy, PS3 controller, and a free online service?

I don't see a price cut in the near future for Sony, but I do see a price cut for both the 360 and Kinect, with the good old Pachter backing me up on the latter.

You do know that PS3 is profitable right? Has been for a while now. I am sure they can cut price without worry right now, especially since they now have extra money coming in from PSPlus.

PS3 will be $199.99 by next holiday season.

Oh I am holding you to that.

And I do realize the past 2 years Sony has finally made profit on the PS3.  I don't think my previous answer questioned that, but it questions your last statement of the PS3 being 199.99.  That would be cheaper than most Blu-Ray players.

Where do you shop at? You can easily grab a Bluray player for $120 these days. It is very unlikely that you find a BD player these days over the $200 mark. Then think of what those prices will be in 12 months from now.

Please, do hold me to it.

Sony is making extra money off of PSPlus. Do I pay for it? No, but many do and that helps their bottom line, as well as increased software sales year over year. Those software sales just might increase next year and PS3 production costs will undoubtedly come down.

It would be stupid for Sony to hold onto a $299.99 entry price when PS3 at that time would be 4 1/2 years old in EU and 5 years old in US and JPN.

"Blue-Ray player (which is easily costing them $80 alone to produce and ship out)"

if you wanna forget what I just said, go for it.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Blu-ray-DVD-Players/Blu-ray-Players/abcat0102003.c?id=abcat0102003

A good portion of those are over $200.  Thank God for the internet.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Euphoria14 said:
Fumanchu said:

LOL!

You're joking, right?

The Wii hardware is obv the cheapest in production costs. Ninty could cut the price to ~80$ and would still be profitable.

Wii is in the best postition when it comes to price cuts, FACT.

04/07/2009  Wii production costs ~88$

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20090407124321_Nintendo_Wii_Costs_Roughly_88_to_Manufacture__Analysts.html#

hey we some doubted sony last year, and i sure wont let it happen again so i am going with sony's shipment figures of around 15m i think they can do it as ps3 is up yoy overall.

i truly believe that 2011 will be the year of the ps3 and ps3 will overcome wii as in japan, even in emeaa we have seen ps3>>wii sales wise at points in time, which are signs of where things are going.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

You do realize that "believe in" implies a belief or faith of some sort? For your purposes, simply "what do you believe?" would be more accurate. Also, "believe in" would require something like "being the #1 selling console" not "will be".

Anyway, I really hope you're kidding about this. PS3 has used up more of its "arsenal" than both the Wii and 360 combined, xD.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Wii will come out on top

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

ninty_shareholder64 said:

LOL!

You're joking, right?

The Wii hardware is obv the cheapest in production costs. Ninty could cut the price to ~80$ and would still be profitable.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20090407124321_Nintendo_Wii_Costs_Roughly_88_to_Manufacture__Analysts.html#

Oh my! Just 90 bucks? And that was one and a half years ago! By now, they probably make them for like 50-60$. By say, 2012, Nintendo could easily afford to make Wiis go for 50 bucks with the current bundles. If they make a Players' Choice Line with software going for 20-25$, in this recession...

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
ninty_shareholder64 said:

LOL!

You're joking, right?

Oh my! Just 90 bucks? And that was one and a half years ago! By now, they probably make them for like 50-60$. By say, 2012, Nintendo could easily afford to make Wiis go for 50 bucks with the current bundles. If they make a Players' Choice Line with software going for 20-25$, in this recession...

Nintendo isn't stupid...they could drop the Wii Bundle price to $100 right now, still make a profit, and sell a ton! This also supports my reason of Wii>PS2 in lifetime sales. They never seem to go with current graphics technology but instead goes for something new and unique to sell systems(as well as amazing games)...next Gen should see a Nintendo system with PS3/360 like graphics and something cool and different that games haven't seen before with a starting price of $300 or less. 3DS seems to be an exception to Nintendo systems...with a rumor of a $300 starting price...for a H.H thats a lot which is why I predicted a few months ago that 3DS would fail to be as successful as the DS. I personally don't expect 3DS to even break the 100 Million mark.

I've been thinking about this myself. Next year is the only year it has a shot at this but it depends largely on the Wii's decline and the 360's software year and Kinect and price cuts.

Its certainly possible but not very likely imo.