By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe PS3 Will Be #1 Selling Console In 2011 What Do You Believe In?

reidlosdog said:

Becuase it cost 599 originally.

Can you explain a price cut, that will not hurt Sony, when they have a larger HDD, Blue-Ray player (which is easily costing them $80 alone to produce and ship out), wireless internet (cheap, only G capability, I actually think this is the reason they were able to do a price cut), a Move controller, Eye Toy, PS3 controller, and a free online service?

I don't see a price cut in the near future for Sony, but I do see a price cut for both the 360 and Kinect, with the good old Pachter backing me up on the latter.

You do know that PS3 is profitable right? Has been for a while now. I am sure they can cut price without worry right now, especially since they now have extra money coming in from PSPlus.

PS3 will be $199.99 by next holiday season.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
reidlosdog said:

Can you explain a price cut, that will not hurt Sony, when they have a larger HDD, Blue-Ray player (which is easily costing them $80 alone to produce and ship out), wireless internet (cheap, only G capability, I actually think this is the reason they were able to do a price cut), a Move controller, Eye Toy, PS3 controller, and a free online service?

I don't see a price cut in the near future for Sony, but I do see a price cut for both the 360 and Kinect, with the good old Pachter backing me up on the latter.

You do know that PS3 is profitable right? Has been for a while now. I am sure they can cut price without worry right now, especially since they now have extra money coming in from PSPlus.

I think that's a big call.  I haven't seen up to date manufacturing costs estimates, but I would be hesitant to assume that they can cut costs a further $100 ($200 in 3 years) and still expect to profit, and more importantly help subsidise losses incurred by their next system's launch (assuming they have a cross-over transition and another loss-leader).

BHR-3 said:

I've been reading alot of comments lately here on VGChartz things like "Wii is in trouble" and "360 is a sales beast" ect. ect., but what i have not been seeing in my reading is anything really about the PS3 except maybe that GT5 is in big trouble. This has got me sad , not the part about GT5 but part that no one is really seeing that mass potential for Sonys PS3 next year .

Why would people be talking about next year's sales with xmas coming up?

I believe that next year Sonys PS3 will have multiple sales explosions causing it to sell the most of any console.  Why do i believe this you ask?

I don't need to ask .. I know why.

well if you look at current Wii vs PS3 sales Wii is only above it by 2M for this year, this time last year it was over 4M, i believe that around this time or earlier in Aug-Sep the PS3 Wii gap will be closer to only 1M for 2011, i believe that Sony will slash the price of the PS3 this time next year and the PS3 will erase that 1M gap to take the lead before the year ends.

I believe PS360 will both be ahead of Wii in 2011 numbers by June, HA, my prediction is more wilder than yours

As for PS3 vs 360 there really hasnt been much of a threat with the 360

Kinect says hello.

PS3 gots Japan on lock by alot

16k weekly, and when it comes to xmas, the ceiling for PS3 sales is 200k, that's WITH a high profile game.

this will continue in 2011, and the same can be said in EMEAA, as you can see by the latest numbers only 2 weeks after 360s mammoth Reach launch the gap between the two in EMEAA is only 10k this weekly gap will be gone and in PS3s favor very shortly with new PS3 skus releasing and GT5.

Quite frankly, it's pathetic PS3 didn't take the lead sooner. No price cut for 360 in Sony's home land, just a revision, yet it's beat it there solidly for nearly 3 months. You're, again, acting as if Kinect poses no threat, I guess that's your god given opinion though.

Just look at Dead Rising 2s sales for EMEAA only 10k apart didnt 360 have exclusive DLC and has even more exclusive DLC coming? doesnt 360 have a over 2M lead in UK? doesnt 360s version run and look better? 

Why would UK lead matter? I'd say the overall EMMEA lead matters more. So a 360 multiplat outselling a PS3 multiplat in a region where PS3 sales are higher? your point was? This is just filler BHR, come up with something original.

Also look at the growth in yearly sales above, PS3 already hit way passed 12M in a year and will do the same again this year while 360s sales have been relatively flat year after year only barely breaking 11M once,

It's 1.8 mill ahead of it's peak year (11 mill) and could very well top 13 mill this year alone if Kinect is even a mild hit. Breaking any previous PS3 year. The current year gap is within 300k, which could be erased if Kinect is a hit.

also look at COD pre orders in NA same case again 360s are relatively flat while PS3 have grown significantly.  This trend will continue in 2011

As for some other reasons why i believe in this just look at PS3s SW line up its pretty much game after game month after month of PS3 exclusives.

360 had that too, "an AAA exclusive every month for Q1/Q2" MS said, but they got delayed, or didn't turn out quite amazing. Don't be surprised to see some of those pushed back. Not to mention a lot of those (bolded) will do jack for HW sales.

LBP2, MotorStorm3D, Killzone3D, Socom4, Twisted Metal, Yakuza 4 Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, ICO Shadow of Colossus Collection, The Last Guardian, Dynasty Warriors 7, Virtual Tennis 4, Star Drone and other possibilities The Agent, Star Hawk, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Sly Cooper 4, Uncharted 3 and those FF games. 

And of course, all the 360 has is Gears 3.... right wrong.

I also believe that there will be a PS3 sku revision that adds extra features along with a price cut.

X360 is gonna double whammy that price cut, Kinect has massive room for price cut, as does the 360 itself (last baseline cut was 2008)

Now you can say the same for 360Wii but there already priced at $199 and had deals of $149 and even $99 already also i dont think Wii will get a revision and the 360 already got one.

PS3 already had one too? So PS3 can have two revisions but 360 can't? Not that I think 360 needs it. If history tells us anything it's that Sony takes away PS3 features with new revisions, so you better hope they don't bring out another aye.

I also believe sony is like myself they like to hide and stay behind cover when battling they didnt rush to go to $299

lmao

or rush to get certain games out, there waiting for the right time when there opponent is at there weakest,

So that's why Sony didn't drop to $199 in 2008

i believe the 360 and Wii have used up pretty much everything in there arsenal for this console war,

Wii? Quite possibly. X360. Not even close. Microsoft has shown strength this gen, and more so than Sony and Nintendo, they relish a fight.

i believe they have run out of breath now, in 2011 PS3 will come out of cover blind firing and then charging out with its SW lineup and pricing strategy

PS3 could well be the market leader, Kinect could fail. Or. Kinect could be a success, and then a cheaper Kinect HW sku completely wrecks any chance of this

Now post what you believe in

As always, lot of filler and no substance.

Fumanchu said:
Euphoria14 said:
reidlosdog said:

I think that's a big call.  I haven't seen up to date manufacturing costs estimates, but I would be hesitant to assume that they can cut costs a further $100 ($200 in 3 years) and still expect to profit, and more importantly help subsidise losses incurred by their next system's launch (assuming they have a cross-over transition and another loss-leader).

Yeah it is a big call, but one I am willing to bet on.

I wouldn't make sense for SONY to hold price for 2 straight years for the 2nd time this generation. Unless of course their software onslaught nextyear provides a huge boost.

Remember, they still expect to hit 15M this fiscal year. Something must be happening between now and March 2011. 

Come to think of it PS3 didn't really have the luxury of those Walmart deal for the last year or two, so maybe this year will sport the Walmart $100 gift card? Not sure, but something must be up. Sony must have something up their sleeves that we are unaware of, or else they would have informed investors that sale expectations dropped.

If Sony then keeps the 15M projection for 2011 fiscal year or even raises it, you know for certain a cut is in the works, not to mention I think we still might have another redesign coming, although not next year, maybe in 2012 if the Wii 2 launched then.

Yeah it seems crazy, but for some reason I think the PS3 has plenty of life left in it. I certainly know I am not expecting anything new anytime soon.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
reidlosdog said:

Oh I am holding you to that.

And I do realize the past 2 years Sony has finally made profit on the PS3.  I don't think my previous answer questioned that, but it questions your last statement of the PS3 being 199.99.  That would be cheaper than most Blu-Ray players.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Around the Network
reidlosdog said:
Euphoria14 said:
reidlosdog said:

Oh I am holding you to that.

And I do realize the past 2 years Sony has finally made profit on the PS3.  I don't think my previous answer questioned that, but it questions your last statement of the PS3 being 199.99.  That would be cheaper than most Blu-Ray players.

Where do you shop at? You can easily grab a Bluray player for $120 these days. It is very unlikely that you find a BD player these days over the $200 mark. Then think of what those prices will be in 12 months from now.

Please, do hold me to it.

Sony is making extra money off of PSPlus. Do I pay for it? No, but many do and that helps their bottom line, as well as increased software sales year over year. Those software sales just might increase next year and PS3 production costs will undoubtedly come down.

It would be stupid for Sony to hold onto a $299.99 entry price when PS3 at that time would be 4 1/2 years old in EU and 5 years old in US and JPN.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Fumanchu said:

I wouldn't make sense for SONY to hold price for 2 straight years for the 2nd time this generation. Unless of course their software onslaught nextyear provides a huge boost.

Remember, they still expect to hit 15M this fiscal year. Something must be happening between now and March 2011. 

Come to think of it PS3 didn't really have the luxury of those Walmart deal for the last year or two, so maybe this year will sport the Walmart $100 gift card? Not sure, but something must be up. Sony must have something up their sleeves that we are unaware of, or else they would have informed investors that sale expectations dropped.

If Sony then keeps the 15M projection for 2011 fiscal year or even raises it, you know for certain a cut is in the works, not to mention I think we still might have another redesign coming, although not next year, maybe in 2012 if the Wii 2 launched then.

Yeah it seems crazy, but for some reason I think the PS3 has plenty of life left in it. I certainly know I am not expecting anything new anytime soon.

I also think that a price cut has to happen for the 15m projection to eventuate.  It just seems like it would be too soon from a $100 reduction last September for them to be able to afford it comfortably.  Out of the 3 consoles its had the most recent price cut, so I would assume that the other's would be in a better position for any such price cut.  

Yeah I think the PS3 has plenty of life in it, though I don't think they want to let the competition to get a full year's jump on them again, to me that would be crazy.   

Fumanchu said:
Euphoria14 said:
Fumanchu said:

I also think that a price cut has to happen for the 15m projection to eventuate.  It just seems like it would be too soon from a $100 reduction last September for them to be able to afford it comfortably.  Out of the 3 consoles its had the most recent price cut, so I would assume that the other's would be in a better position for any such price cut.  

Yeah I think the PS3 has plenty of life in it, though I don't think they want to let the competition to get a full year's jump on them again, to me that would be crazy.   

Didn't the Wii cut price last year to $199.99 after the PS3 dropped to $299.99? Not to mention, didn't Wii introduce a $149.99 Legacy edition or something this year?

I think the Wii is in the worst position overall when it comes to price cuts.

Currently playing:

If you would've asked in June 2010 I wouldve said yeah I think PS3 will outsell Xbox 360 .. but The Xbox 360 Slim has really picked up sales in just the last 4 months, much like the PS3 slim did for quite awhile.. So much in fact that the Xbox 360 has greatly reduced what WAS then ( In June ) a fairly hefty lead ( for yearly sales ) .. Right now the 360 is still selling better because of Slim, because of Reach, and I hate to say it, but I think Kinect will definately help M$ sales of 360 during the holidays ( which is typically their best two months of the year )..Even if Kinect doesnt help alot, it'll help enough - even Move sales aren't great ( of course GREAT depends on who you ask.  Some folks on here are actually working for firms hired by Sony, MS, Nintendo to help that particular console with very one sided post in forums )   The truth is, in there own way all the consoles are fun.. some of us are real fans, some even complete fanboys.  I'm always suspect of some post which seem to be corporately inspired.  I think end of year you're going to see the 360 and PS3 YEARLY SALES neck and neck ( CLOSER then any other year ) , but both will fair out pretty good.  Consoles sales aren't all that matter, game sales matter alot, 360 has Xbox Live pumping in fistfuls of cash..

Euphoria14 said:

Didn't the Wii cut price last year to $199.99 after the PS3 dropped to $299.99? Not to mention, didn't Wii introduce a $149.99 Legacy edition or something this year?

I think the Wii is in the worst position overall when it comes to price cuts.

Whoops yeah you're right.  It's just Microsoft that hasn't dropped their lowest SKU price since September 2008.

You would have to think that 5 years in now, that profits would be a bigger priority than appeasing fans and their ego's chasing the competition and fighting over the last remaining scraps.  I haven't seen their books but I'm pretty sure the PS3 is still currently the least profitable console, maybe Sony's just happy with smaller profit margins than the others?

I think if they cut the price this holiday season to meet their projections they'll handily outsell the competition and continue to do very well next year...don't know about their ledger though.