By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Semi Official VGChartz Minecraft Thread

wick said:

I'm positive I read somewhere that pistons are going to be added into the game by Mojang.

It does seem very probable IMO.  It only adds one block to the game, with simple mechanics, and yet it can do so much that you can't in Minecraft right now.  Secret passages, for a third example. 

Unless Mojang feels that pistons aren't in keeping with the "feel" of the game, I really don't see why it wouldn't get added. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Notch said it in his blog that they're going to add pistons. They MAY even be included in this week's 1.5 update, but if it doesn't happen this update, it'll be in 1.6 most likely.

The "rec center" is a fancy modern "yuppie" house. The button is the garage door handle. It's my house in the city.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:

Notch said it in his blog that they're going to add pistons. They MAY even be included in this week's 1.5 update, but if it doesn't happen this update, it'll be in 1.6 most likely.

The "rec center" is a fancy modern "yuppie" house. The button is the garage door handle. It's my house in the city.

1.5 is going to be massive if true .....

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

1.5 is out:  I made a ton of boosters out of my gold supply in single player and put a couple down.  It's a much nicer way to have the endpoint boosters, just one line of track and a button.  But for my stops, you still need to drop down because of the buttons/signage in front of you, so it won't really make much of a difference. 

Booster track / "Powered Rail":  When powered, they boost; when unpowered, they stop you. 
Detector track / "Detector Rail":  Will work like a wooden pressure plate, giving brief power to redstone when any minecart runs over it, despite the fact that it is crafted with a stone pressure plate. 

According to the wiki,
1.  A single track booster will give you a slight boost from a dead stop, but if you're moving at a decent speed already it'll give you max speed for 32 blocks and let you travel for 128 blocks.  2 boosters from a dead stop will do the same. 
2.  The track boosters CANNOT add to your momentum beyond the above description.  If you put ten track boosters in a row, you'll only go 8 blocks farther than if you put 2 in a row.
3.  The detector rail WILL CRASH THE GAME if you [edit:  place it on a line of track adjacent to another line of track.] try to use it to power the booster rail.  Otherwise they are both apparently fully functional
[edit:  4.  The boosters will only work at the end of the track to launch you if you have a block at the terminating end.  I have experimantally confirmed this, yet forgot to mention it!]

(I tried to get on the server but it game me an "end of stream" error.  Does this mean the server isn't updated, or just standard weirdness?) 

Based on these facts, I am going to upgrade my terminal stops ASAP, and upgrade my pressure-plate resets immediately, and recommend others do the same, unless they send you great distances.  However, I am in much less of a hurry to convert my exits, as there does not seem to be much advantage to the new system for them beyond whatever improvement in reliability it has over the glitch-boosters. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

The new booster track is very weak vs. inclines.  Be sure to test your track. 

Around the Network

server is updated to 1.5

edit would have been sooner, but for the whole pesky sleep thing

edit one other note, the server seems to idle at lower processor usage, and the first player seems to take less too.

Nice.  Also, I forgot to mention:  I experienced my first weather!  A rainstorm that was pretty cool and seemed to last quite a while ... a lot longer than I was expecting, anyway.  I didn't notice lightning, but I wasn't really keeping an eye out for it. 

OH SHIT I CRASHED THE GAME SORRY GODDOG

I misread the warning that booster tracks being placed next to regular tracks will crash the game.  I thought it said if you placed boost tracks and detector tracks consecutively. 

Final-Fan said:

OH SHIT I CRASHED THE GAME SORRY GODDOG

I misread the warning that booster tracks being placed next to regular tracks will crash the game.  I thought it said if you placed boost tracks and detector tracks consecutively. 

hah no worry it was back up with in 10 0f the email i got from you should have posted here too, did not think about it till now, hardly the first person to crash it.  we had a bug awhile back where new signs would crash it..... now i can restart it remotly all is good

Hey guys, type "cel-" into Google and look at the suggestions.

COMIN' UP IN THE WORLD. B)

Also, there's some major cellulose-related product on the market that's also called "cel-pak" that, recently, my texture pack overtook as the #1 option on Google. :)

Oh, btw. That means my texture pack is updated.

SW-5120-1900-6153