By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unbelievable Best Buy Sells Free PS3 Upgrades

Best Buy Sells Free PS3 Upgrades

In what can only be described as a new low, Best Buy has decided to take advantage of uneducated PS3 consumers. They are now in the business of selling firmware upgrades to their clients, which unless something changed, are free for anyone with a wifi connection and take little to no effort.

Here is a shot of what the Best Buy in Staten Island NYC is promoting:

In case it is unclear I will break it down for you. Best Buy has the audacity to charge $329.98 for a 120 gb PS3 Slim, which normally will cost you $299.99. So what are you paying an extra $30 for? A firmware upgrade! A free one that is as simple to do as turning your PS3 on.

Best Buy actually advertises it as “Eliminates Bugs and Glitches” and “Play All Blu-Ray Movies and Games.” This is beyond misleading to anyone who does not realize that is totally an unnecessary service.

What do you think? I can’t believe they are getting away with this, I guess the old saying is true… there is a sucker born every second and Best Buy is inspecting their wallets.

Source: dualshockers.com

Around the Network

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Well they can do that... It is sad though..

I wonder what they say though if someone complains.

Are they saying that the PS3 is a bugged and a slow system at it's orginal state? How dare they!! Wouldn't this scare potential buyers from buying a PS3? Some xbot fanboy that works at Best Buy must have printed that out and put it there..

On the other hand, if they sell PS3 consoles with Custom Software that would allow me to play backups of my legally owned games and PSPs with CS also.. I'm on it!!!

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Maybe some people don't have internetz?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

It's probably just like their service for installing drivers, etc. on your computer for a "fee", of course. Not everybody is technology literate, as you might think.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

NiKKoM said:

Even then, I think games have firmware updates that are required to run them.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

You know, when I read the title I thought Best Buy was selling PS3 Slims in exchange for PS3 Phats.  This......damn.  This IS unbelieveable.  I was only charging $15.

Electronics retailers are always looking for stuff the consumer can do to do for them (and charge for).  They'll charge to sit a TV on a stand, update your windows drivers, etc. etc.

So I'm not really surprised, although I always find this stuff missleading for the consumer who is led to believe something that's actually easy - connect PS3 to WiFi, select update and then install - as something they should pay an 'expert' to do.

Best Buy tend to do this more than most in my experience but no doubt others will too.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

huaxiong90 said:
NiKKoM said:

Even then, I think games have firmware updates that are required to run them.

Yep, for example RDR.