By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unbelievable Best Buy Sells Free PS3 Upgrades

LOL, I can honestly say I have never sold one of these.  It looks like this Best Buy actually tried to pre-install it like they do on computers, hate it when they do that.  Little heads up, I work at Best Buy, don't ever buy geek squad service on your gaming systems.  Definitely buy the replacement plans, but don't fall for the firmware update or the in home installation crap.  Total rip offs.  

Around the Network

This is the console equivalent of Best Buy installing software on your computer for you. They aren't charging for the update, this is a convenience charge for those who don't want to be bothered updating themselves. Admittedly that sign isn't as clear as it should be, but it's definitely not a new low. Pretty typical Best Buy.

Just speculating, but that sign looks more amateur than most Best Buy merchandizing signs. This ps3 firmware update may have been the idea of a particular store rather than corporate.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Yeah a few months back they were opening every system. So if you bought a system at Best Buy you had to buy that crap. I'm sure they lost business that way so now they have sealed ones and Geek squad ones. I know not everyone has internet but still this seems wrong.

They should add another bullet that says...

• Removes features and support for some USB 3rd party devices.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wow what a bunch of jerks.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Sony should do something about this as it is their firmware update. Best Buy is stealing from Sony's consumers and Sony shouldn't tollerate that. Are we sure this ad is legit and not a fake? Because I just can't believe Best Buy would have the audacity to try and sell a firmware update, its just unbelievable!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

They do shit like this all of the time. A buddy of mine asked me how hard it was to install an antivirus program, because Best Buy was going to charge him $30 to do it. After he found out how easy it was, he was pissed. It is ridiculous all of the extra cash they make off of ignorant people.

ripoff, 30$ for a free upgrade.

gergroy said:

I work at Best Buy,...Definitely buy the replacement plans...

Best Buys "warranties" are a rip off.

My friend purchased the $80 plan for his PS3.

The controller broke, he called and they said bring everything in. We did. In the store they told us since the Playstation itself was fine he needed to call a 1-800 number to get a repalcement controller. They would not replace it in the store. He called and got the replacement on "order". While he was waiting for his controller his PS3 harddrive went bad. He called again. They said bring it all down. He did. They took his PS3 and said they'd mail him a refurbished one. 3-4 days later he gets his refurbished PS3. Then he gets his controller. To our surprise it was an aftermarket controller that ran on AA or AAA batteries. He would have been better off sending the PS3 and controller directly to Sony. It happened within the first year. The Bestbuy warranty is such a rip off. They don't even give new new equipment, or your repaired equipment. They don't do anything in the store. It's worthless. DONT BUY ANY IN-STORE WARRANTIES. They're one of the biggest scams going.... and not just from Best Buy.

west-phoenix-az said:
gergroy said:

I work at Best Buy,...Definitely buy the replacement plans...

Best Buys "warranties" are a rip off.

My friend purchased the $80 plan for his PS3.

The controller broke, he called and they said bring everything in. We did. In the store they told us since the Playstation itself was fine he needed to call a 1-800 number to get a repalcement controller. They would not replace it in the store. He called and got the replacement on "order". While he was waiting for his controller his PS3 harddrive went bad. He called again. They said bring it all down. He did. They took his PS3 and said they'd mail him a refurbished one. 3-4 days later he gets his refurbished PS3. Then he gets his controller. To our surprise it was an aftermarket controller that ran on AA or AAA batteries. He would have been better off sending the PS3 and controller directly to Sony. It happened within the first year. The Bestbuy warranty is such a rip off. They don't even give new new equipment, or your repaired equipment. They don't do anything in the store. It's worthless. DONT BUY ANY IN-STORE WARRANTIES. They're one of the biggest scams going.... and not just from Best Buy.

you sure that was from Best Buy?  I work there and I've never herd of anything like that, especially since they don't do quick exchange with ps3's, they are in store replacement.  Can't say it isn't true, as I'm sure every Best Buy is a little different, and they might operate differently state to state, but if you walked into my Best Buy with a replacement plan and a broken controller or ps3, they'd give you a new one on the spot.