By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - First earth-like habitable planet found

GuiltySpartan77 said:

yeah but his family would be old while he is still 30 lol 70 year old wife to come back to 

The idea is you take the family with you and REPRODUCE in the spaceship, give birth to children who are old enough to explore by the time you reach the planet!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Get working on a 0.5C speed craft and we can have a direct visit, with images returned to Earth about 60 years from now. And a return journey for the craft in about 80 years.

I wonder how old this planet is? If red Dwarf stars are very long lived stars then this star system could be billions of years older than ours, and life may have been present on that planet for billions of years longer than on Earth. Maybe they've been observing us. We're pretty damn close after all.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

hallowedbeeddie said:

it´s very unlikely we can ever reach it. not at least any time soon, so I doubt it, but it would be great to know there´s life out there

I think we better start with the moon of Jupiter, Europa. I think primitive life is there. got all the main signs. If you haven't watched anything on it, you should. It's a ice moon with liquid water under the surface, which thats what the data points to.

Considering the gravity on the planet is probably much more than pull of the earth, and the temperatures are about 160 degrees in the daytime. I doubt that humans could ever live there; even if it were physically possible to leave the solar system (which it isn't).

As for the idea of other life on the planet. It wouldn't be intelligent. If any life exists on it, it would be the equivalent to archeabacteria, because that is all the climate could support.

While I find discoveries like this interesting; it always brings out the slackjaws who think "Awesome! so I don't need to worry about the environment anymore, because when we wreck this planet, we'll all go on spaceships and go to a new planet". 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

'Earthlike' is a bit of an exaggeration

at least 3 times the earth's mass, and almost certainly has a side facing the sun permanently. I would also hesitate to call a planet earthlike unless it actually has water and an atmosphere, neither of which can be confirmed from Earth

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

We must colonize the planet right way now!

{prays scientists make some breakthrough to be able to travel faster than the speed of light}

Faster than the speed of light? Half of it would be enough.

I'm so into Mass Effect 2 and Metroid: Other M that I just wish somebody picked me up to be one of the few settlers which travel to this planet to create our first colony.

Jumpin said:

Considering the gravity on the planet is probably much more than pull of the earth, and the temperatures are about 160 degrees in the daytime. I doubt that humans could ever live there; even if it were physically possible to leave the solar system (which it isn't).

As for the idea of other life on the planet. It wouldn't be intelligent. If any life exists on it, it would be the equivalent to archeabacteria, because that is all the climate could support.

While I find discoveries like this interesting; it always brings out the slackjaws who think "Awesome! so I don't need to worry about the environment anymore, because when we wreck this planet, we'll all go on spaceships and go to a new planet". 

You got that right.

Wow, this is awesome news.

this isnt something new. i saw a documentary on national geography two years ago where they showed a planet which looks like earth. and they said that scientists sent a message in that direction or something like that but it will arrive their in 25k years.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

If the planet is tidally locked then life would most likely be located near the terminator right?