By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - First earth-like habitable planet found

This is pretty interesting...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
hallowedbeeddie said:

does anyone have any idea how long it would even take to get there at light speed?

20 light years = 20 years traveling at speed of light.

wfz said:

Wait, time slows down as you approach the speed of light?

Does someone have a wiki or article I can read on this? That's fascinating! You could essentially time-travel into the future! It'd be a one-way trip though.

From http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=206598

If you could accelerate (in a reasonable time) to near the speed of light with respect our planet, let's say to 0.999999999999999999999999995 c, then you would reach the present (visible) limit of the universe and back to earth, in one day of your clock, but 28 billions of years on earth (non considering the universe expansion), if it will still exist!

If you want to figure it out yourself you can start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity#Time_dilation_and_length_contraction

WAY ABOVE MY HEAD

ManusJustus said:
wfz said:

Wait, time slows down as you approach the speed of light?

Does someone have a wiki or article I can read on this? That's fascinating! You could essentially time-travel into the future! It'd be a one-way trip though.

From http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=206598

If you could accelerate (in a reasonable time) to near the speed of light with respect our planet, let's say to 0.999999999999999999999999995 c, then you would reach the present (visible) limit of the universe and back to earth, in one day of your clock, but 28 billions of years on earth (non considering the universe expansion), if it will still exist!

If you want to figure it out yourself you can start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity#Time_dilation_and_length_contraction

WAY ABOVE MY HEAD

My mind has been absolutely blown into smitherines. This is why I love Physics so much. I was *this close* to majoring in it too, dammit. :(

You don't want to live on that planet either. At 3-4 times earth's mass (and roughly the same diameter), gravitational force would press you onto the ground.. and a tidally locked planet has other living problems, too. Let's not forget a red dwarf is a star in its final life cycle. If you wanted to emigrate to another star system, choose a star that has roughly the same age as our star...

I know I'm a bit late on this, but...I just wanted to point out that a red dwarf is not near the end of it's life.  It's actually bery likely that the star will be around for many billions of years after ours is long gone.  Red dwarfs start out small and burn slowly, lasting for a loooooong time.

And I also want to say that we do not know that this a habitable planet, or if life can even exist on it.  So don't get too excited just yet.  I'm as intrigued by the Gliese 581 system as anyone, but until we know for sure, I'll keep being skeptical of every "Earth-like" planet we find.  Besides, we'll need better technology before we can actually find true Earth-likes. It's not that I don't think earth-like planets are out there, I just don't count my chickens before they hatch, as they say.

Around the Network

How soon can I buy a house there?

raptors11 said:

How soon can I buy a house there?

I'll sell you a contract for one right now.

this article is rubbish because it doesn't answer the most basic questions!

does the planet have:

wildlife we can hunt ?

mineral resources we can mine?

forests we can cut down?

inhabitant we can enslave?

before not any of these question is poistively answered it's completely useless

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

this article is rubbish because it doesn't answer the most basic questions!

does the planet have:

wildlife we can hunt ?

mineral resources we can mine?

forests we can cut down?

inhabitant we can enslave?

before not any of these question is poistively answered it's completely useless

No info on that yet, but there is confirmed to be a colony of human women who live there and through selective breeding, have created the most beautiful women the universe has ever seen. Millions of them.

Scientists are currently looking into how they procreate.

yeah but his family would be old while he is still 30 lol 70 year old wife to come back to