By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - First earth-like habitable planet found

twesterm said:
drkohler said:
wfz said:

I would love to see pictures of this planet when they become available.

And now we have a new planet to potentially live on. =P

The camera that can "take pictures" of such a planet has not been invented yet.

You don't want to live on that planet either. At 3-4 times earth's mass (and roughly the same diameter), gravitational force would press you onto the ground.. and a tidally locked planet has other living problems, too. Let's not forget a red dwarf is a star in its final life cycle. If you wanted to emigrate to another star system, choose a star that has roughly the same age as our star...

I could have swore red dwarfves live for a stupid long time and will be the last stars left when all the others have died out.

They're much smaller and have less fuel than stars like our sun, but they barely burn any feul so in order to actually receive warmth from it you have to be really close.

As red dwarfs are fully convective, helium does not accumulate at the core and, compared to larger stars such as the Sun, they can burn a larger proportion of their hydrogen before leaving the main sequence. As a result, red dwarfs have estimated lifespans longer than the estimated age of the universe, and stars with less than 0.8 solar masses have not had time to leave the main sequence. The lower the mass of a red dwarf, the longer the lifespan. It is believed that the lifespan of these stars exceeds the expected 10 billion year lifespan of the sun by the third or fourth power of the ratio of their masses to the solar mass; thus a red dwarf with 0.1 solar mass may continue burning for 10 trillion years.

source: wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dwarf

Around the Network

It is now my dream to pee on  one of their space trees before I die.  This replaces my old lifelong dream of wearing two weiner dogs on my feet like roller skates and letting them carry me wherever I want to go.