By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: Only 6% of US console users have downloaded DLC

NPD: Only 6% Of U.S. Consumers Have Downloaded Content Through Game Consoles

NPD Group said Tuesday that there is still a "large and untapped" market for connected devices and digital content, with only 6 percent of U.S. consumers have downloaded content through game consoles.

"What we learned in our research is that while some people already experience the world in a connected way, most do not," said NPD VP and senior entertainment analyst Russ Crupnick. He said that most people that access digital content aren't looking for the "flashiest apps," but are still performing basic online tasks like email and web browsing.

NPD added that 75 percent of U.S. consumers aged 13 and older did not connect or download content in the prior three months.

Aside from the 6 percent of U.S. consumers that downloaded content through a video game console, only 15 percent connected and downloaded content via PC or Mac, 4 percent through a smartphone and 2 percent through a connected Blu-ray player or digital player like Apple TV or Roku.

That doesn't mean that there isn't growing demand for more entertainment-focused digital content like gaming -- the low adoption rate of "flashier" applications means there's plenty of market opportunities for even more connected devices and digital content, NPD said.

"The promise of the connected experience is coming, as prospective Blu-ray owners want their players to come with connectivity, and half of game consoles are already connected. The doors are also opening wider for music, video, gaming and other forms of entertainment," said Crupnick.

Blu-ray players are continuing to come down in price, and are a "prime avenue" to deliver broadband content to living rooms, NPD said. Connected TVs are also seeing growing adoption among U.S. residents.

Gaming is one of the main components of the burgeoning digital age, driving adoption rates of services like Xbox Live, PlayStation Network and Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection, where gamers and non-gamers can view movies and TV shows, listen to music and download games.

Social gaming is also a growing, connected entertainment experience that's moving beyond the desktop onto mobile devices, and games are the most popular category on Apple's iTunes App Store.

"Today’s gamer might be a hard-core teen-ager playing games online with his friends, a 40-something female playing Farmville on Facebook, or everything on either side of that spectrum,” said NPD analyst Anita Frazier. "We would not have seen this type of audience diversification and expansion if it weren’t for connected internet, smartphone, and online gaming options."

Source: Gamasutra

Around the Network

Wow that's interesting.

Myself, I've bought 2 pieces of DLC in my life. The map pack for Call of Duty 4 and also one of the Fallout 3 add ons, I believe it was Broken Steel. Its the one that let you keep playing after you beat the game and raised the level cap to 30.

I'm happy to buy DLC for a game I really like, I would have been more than happy to buy several COD4 map packs if there had been more.

The only one I bought was the Mass Effect 1 DLC, which was really terrible. So I haven't bought anything since.

ph4nt said:

The only one I bought was the Mass Effect 1 DLC, which was really terrible. So I haven't bought anything since.

Fail!

You've missed out on so much!

Thought the number would be way higher than it is.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

I've bought a ton of DLC!

Yeah I never have and most likely never will. Any DLC that releases within a month or two of release could have been added to the game at launch.

I like DLC so long as it is additional content and not content that was obviously left off the disc in order to make me pay more.

What exactly are they alking about? I cant tell if they mean games DLC, downloading movies? Or a combination of both. Someone care to elaborate, the main article did not link to the NPDs numbers. It seems off for DLC, especially if mappacks are included, but it does seem right for what movies people may download. Maybe i'm just having reading comprehension problems today.

But...but...Disgital distribuition is future!!....?

Above: still the best game of the year.