By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - are you a fanboy ?

Okay. My first console I've gamed on is an MSX2-Arabic PC, and with all sorts of quality titles on it from Konami like Penguin Adventure, Metal Gear, Vampire Killer (Castlevania spin-off), and their NES titles like Contra, TMNT, amongst others and much later on through emulation Contra, Metal Gear 2, Snatcher and SD Snatcher on the MSX, my fanboyism of Konami was pretty much sealed.

My PC gaming days also goes quite back, but overall, like Ssenkahdavic, I'm a huge Sierra fan for all their Quest titles.

I've also owned all Nintendo platforms, and NEVER have I been disappointed with them or their first party titles, and especially with the third party efforts on the NES and SNES. I could go on and on, but I think most people here would understand what I mean.

Now as for Sega...I've played some of their games at a friend's way back, but never really saw what their titles were worth until much later on when I started to dig deep through shops and online stores for a Dreamcast and Saturn (And a Genesis, obviously through emulation). They still make solid titles to this day (most notably Valkyria Chronicles, my third favorite PS3 game).

As for PlayStation titles, really I could go with the obvious in that both the PS1 and 2 had really excellent third party support (it had my beloved Metal Gear, that's more than enough!). But also with games like Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Ape Escape, and later on Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter, and Ico, I started becoming a Sony fan. This gen they continue to publish games that interest me/are close to my heart.

Now regarding Microsoft, really I give them credit for bringing online gaming similar to what we see in PC gaming to consoles (Xbox Live, basically). But as for games...really, the only titles they developed or published that I actually like are Halo, Gears of War, Age of Empires, Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Fable. PGR is all right, but everything else...I don't know, I never really got into them. If Microsoft would expand their studios and start pumping out more quality titles my opinion of them can change. I can say this though, the Xbox has one of my favorite games ever and also the most underrated game of last gen, BreakDown.

So overall? Like I've stated many times before, I do lean towards Sony and Nintendo, but really I like all my consoles and I always try to be a reasonable person.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

I've slowly been drifting away from video games for a number of years, and I can see it clearer every month that passes.

I am "meh"ly excited about the new Zelda game. I used to be batshit crazy in love with the Zelda franchise. I still really enjoy playing them but it's not like it used to be. I do love the Earthbound series.

If I'm a fanboy over anything, it's Sonic. I have bought every goddamn Sonic platforming game.

The part that makes me a fanboy? I will continue to most likely buy every single one until the day I die. Sonic has been a precious part of me ever since my infancy. Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I picked up, and I stopped watching TV after The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog went off air (yup, I haven't watched TV in over 13 years). I used to love chilidogs when I was a little kid. I always used to daydream about being as fast and as cool and awesome as Sonic when I was a little guy. I still remember those thoughts clearly.

'Till death do us part.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I tend to like Nintendo and Sony more than Xbox.  Reason I say Xbox is because I like MS when they had more support for the PC gaming industry.

When it comes to judging the games themselves, I don't let my console bias get in the way (I do own the Xbox 360).  I admit that Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia (exclusive in English language), Alan Wake, and Forza are great games.  However, MS these days seems to care mostly about Halo, Gears, Fable, and Kinect - all of which I have near 0 interest in. 

So probably next gen, I will stick with Sony and Nintendo.  I was losing faith in Nintendo at the beginning - middle of the generation when they seemed to just stick "Wii" in titles to sell millions, but they seem to have gotten their act back together.

Right now, I think Sony is doing the best to cater to my tastes as a gamer.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

sony for the win

grew up with PS1 then PS2 now PS3 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network
sly777 said:
OPPWNENT said:

The way things have been going, I am becoming an Xbox 360 fanboy, and that's hard for me to say because I really don't like MS all that much. The PS3 has just been lagging behind in a lot of things.

"The PS3 has just been lagging behind in a lot of things." What do you mean ?

Sorry for being really late. What I mean with the PS3 lagging behind, is with things such as cross-game chat, and the XMB. These aren't many things, and I hope you weren't expecting a laundry list of complaints. But essentially these are two big essentials that are missing with the PS3, for me.

There being no cross-game chat is really pathetic, people have been complaining about getting this for a while with the PS3 firmware update and nothing has come, except for very minimal updates for the system. This is further exacerbated by the fact that the PS3 doesn't even have a standard headset, which again, IMO, is pathetic. These two things alone, is the most significant reason as to why the PS3 online sucks. There is no sense of community; it doesn't even feel like your online. Which leads me to the issue of the XMB.

Now, the XMB is one of the coolest concepts around for a UI (user interface). I think Sony is failing in that department. They haven't done any significant update to the XMB, it's been almost exactly the same since 2006. I've been on the PS3 forums and the XMB concepts that some people posted were absolutely insane! I don't know how Sony doesn't even think about incorporating some of the ideas that the community has suggested. If they put in some of the XMB ideas that I saw on the forums, that alone would make people want to buy a PS3.

I just realized how much I wrote so I am going to end it here, but there are many things more I wanted to add but don't want to write and no one reads what I wrote.

Peace

"One of the greatest struggles in life is to speak the truth in front of an unjust crowd."

Absolutely, to the Halo franchise.

@wfz  if your not reading the Sonic comics or have read at least 50 issues your not that big of a fan. just jking   but on topic I think fanboyism is just when a guy or gal loves a company so much they cant see any flaws in it and have problems with the others.  Every console has at least one or two good games. I mean every single one. Even Virtua Boy.  My fanboy died when I saw the crap storm that was Sega Saturn, at least in the states

only in what I play,  I only play and buy Nintendo stuff but Im objective about all companies

HALOOOOOOOO said:

Absolutely, to the Halo franchise.

aaaaahhhhh... I like this franchise too