By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Quick Reference HW Charts, Sep - Dec 08/09/10

great work creating the tables, but I have to laugh at the HD table. A totals table would be much more useful as it would reflect the entire market, not just half of it.

Also, a minor request, can you add YoY To Date in total units. So, for example, the X360 would be 215k units ahead YoY up till Sep 18th.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Great idea @Seece.

And crazy PS3 september numbers last year (slim/price cut effect).

nordlead said:

great work creating the tables, but I have to laugh at the HD table. A totals table would be much more useful as it would reflect the entire market, not just half of it.

Also, a minor request, can you add YoY To Date in total units. So, for example, the X360 would be 215k units ahead YoY up till Sep 18th.

Yeah I'll try and fit that in if I can, don't want all charts below each other as that's too much scrolling.

I'll do a totals table as well.

Seece said:
saicho said:

Start of September is high since generally it's a down trend throughout September. Once it gets into October, it turns into an up trend based on the data in the last two years. If you average the last 3 weeks of September and first 4 weeks of October for each console in the last two years, only PS3 last year has a higher September numbers since it has the second week of the price cut redesign.

You are arguing that the down trend continues until the end of October which the numbers don't support.

Actually, my main point was sales don't start picking up until late October for a console with no price cut/big game, and I stand by that, I don't call sales fluctuating within a 15k range "picking up", it's quite clear what picking up means, it's the jump in the last week of October for those consoles.

You actually made more than one point in your posts. This is what you said.

"if I'm right and it doesn't start rising by last week of October, it has 5 weeks to drop to that level. Possible it could go below 115k."

I agree that sales would significantly "pick up" at the end of October. However, it doesn't mean it would continue dropping during October. Based on your theory, October numbers should be lower than September numbers since it will drop for the next 5 weeks. The numbers show otherwise.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Seece said:
nordlead said:

Yeah I'll try and fit that in if I can, don't want all charts below each other as that's too much scrolling.

I was thinking just adding a row to the bottom of each table and only having the YoY to Date up to the last date we have sales. I don't think it is needed for each individual week, but it would be nice just to see a running total.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Seece said:
nordlead said:

I was thinking just adding a row to the bottom of each table and only having the YoY to Date up to the last date we have sales. I don't think it is needed for each individual week, but it would be nice just to see a running total.

Updated with a running total.

The YoY math is wrong on second and third week.

So looking at the charts, 360 decently up (as expected), PS3 massvely down (as expected) and Wii basically flat (as expected?).  Think these trends will continue through Q4?

Dand said:

The YoY math is wrong on second and third week.

I think not. He's using cumulative numbers, so you don't need to calculate how much any system needs to exceed or fall below the YOY numbers.

jarrod said:

So looking at the charts, 360 decently up (as expected), PS3 massvely down (as expected) and Wii basically flat (as expected?).  Think these trends will continue through Q4?

Nope starting October Wii will start dropping massively.  Expect Wii to be about 800K down in October.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.