By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's gaming unit lost $443 mil 3Q

roadkillers said:
FishyJoe said:
roadkillers said:

Was God of War 2 included in this because im pretty sure it will make about 200,000,000 million for Sony. Plus God of War sales went up big time too.

Is the PSP making money for Sony? How much are they losing per-sold?

Its weird because for each PS2 sold Sony makes money insted of losing but they still are losing a lot of money. I dunno im confused.

God of War 2 is going to make $200 million in profit???

I dunno I just said a number but if the game is 50 bucks and a lot of sites says its selling like crazy (im not sure if thats true) and lets just say it sells 4 million in its lifetime around the world (I would guess it selling around that maybe a little more) then that would equal 200,000,000 million in profit but then they would have to pay there employ's and how much the game took to make so then I would say them making around 160,000,000 on this game. I dunno its my guess but if Gears of War can sell over 4 million on a console that has less then 10 million user base then why cant GoW2. Plus GoW2 had over 1,500,000 pre-orders before launch.

There is no doubt that God of War 2 will make Sony a lot of money. Unfortunitly they make no royalty fees and have to spend on development, marketing, localization, employees and so forth so their margin of profit is as high as you would think it should be hence the hefty price tag on most games. 

Around the Network
DRJ said:

...And if Blu Ray machines become cheaper than a PS3 it will really hurt.

Actually, it wouldn't.  By the time that happens, the PS3 will be at a reasonable (relatively, at least) price and have a decent library.  It'll be able to stand on its gaming legs before BR players become cheaper and, let's be honest, when the PS2 launched DVD players were already cheaper.

Also, if BR players are cheaper than the PS3, that means they are winning (already won) the war with HD-DVD and they are selling an absolute ton of proprietary media.  That's really, really good for Sony.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

KohlyKohl said:
Hus said:
DRJ said:
The loss was less because they sold 3 million less PS3s than expected. Had they actually sold that many the loss would have been double or worse.

genius!

since when is production free.

costs them $800 to make a PS3, if they sell one thats $600 back.

I wish they would ban you on these forums as you are nothing but a cocky no it all that puts in his opinion where it is not needed on a constant basis. You make Kwaad look like a saint and quite frankly are starting to not only become annoying but show your low IQ to others.

Except that, sorry to tell you that, but Hus is right for once.

Producing consoles is not free. If it cost them $800 to produce a PS3, that's as much loss for them as long as it's not sold (to retailers). Everything they produce is a loss as long as it's not sold.

Selling the console is money back for Sony. Well right, they don't sell them $600 to retailers (or at least I hope so for retailers' sake), but close to that. 

So, it's slightly inaccurate to say that the loss is less because they sold less.

It would be more accurate to say the loss is less because they made less consoles (thanks to Blu-Ray cells shortage ?). 

ookaze said:
KohlyKohl said:
Hus said:
DRJ said:
The loss was less because they sold 3 million less PS3s than expected. Had they actually sold that many the loss would have been double or worse.

genius!

since when is production free.

costs them $800 to make a PS3, if they sell one thats $600 back.

I wish they would ban you on these forums as you are nothing but a cocky no it all that puts in his opinion where it is not needed on a constant basis. You make Kwaad look like a saint and quite frankly are starting to not only become annoying but show your low IQ to others.

Except that, sorry to tell you that, but Hus is right for once.

Producing consoles is not free. If it cost them $800 to produce a PS3, that's as much loss for them as long as it's not sold (to retailers). Everything they produce is a loss as long as it's not sold.

Selling the console is money back for Sony. Well right, they don't sell them $600 to retailers (or at least I hope so for retailers' sake), but close to that. 

So, it's slightly inaccurate to say that the loss is less because they sold less.

It would be more accurate to say the loss is less because they made less consoles (thanks to Blu-Ray cells shortage ?). 

i think people know production is not free. the whole point people want to make is that to rake in profits, you have to optimize your production by looking at forcast, how much to produce, how much raw material to buy and reorder points of raw material.  because sony made an error in forecast as to how much to make and the price to set for their consoles, it's actually causing them to lose more money than they expected.  not just on the ps3, but they are mentioning about the price cut of the psp too.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

robjoh said:
FishyJoe said:
You have a LOT to learn how much profit is made from a retail game sale. Do some research before you spout numbers or it makes you sound stupid.
That was unnecessery, especially against a mod if you disagre, start with explaining if they don't listen ignore.
@roadkiller
If you sell 4 million games for 50 USD you got 200 million in total revenue. You have to remove mayby 10-20 USD for retail and so on. Then you have cost for marketing and so on. If it is sonys report that indicates that they are taking a loss, GoW2 should be a part of the equation simple put that they own that game.

It took me two minutes to do this research.

Why Gears of War cost $60

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3-xbox360-costs-tech-cx_rr_game06_1219expensivegames.html

Art/Design: 25% (about $15)
Programming And Engineering: 20% (about $12)
Retail: 20% ($12)
Console Owner Fee: 11.5% (about $7)
Marketing: 7% (about $4)
Market Development Fund: 5% (about $3)
Manufacturing Costs, Packaging: 5% (about $3)
Licensing: 5% (about $3)
Publisher profit: 1.5% (about $1)
Distributor: 1.5% (about $1)
Corporate Costs (quantitative analysis, management overhead): 0.3% (about 20 cents)
Hardware development costs: 0.05% (less than 3 cents)

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
robjoh said:
FishyJoe said:
You have a LOT to learn how much profit is made from a retail game sale. Do some research before you spout numbers or it makes you sound stupid.
That was unnecessery, especially against a mod if you disagre, start with explaining if they don't listen ignore.
@roadkiller
If you sell 4 million games for 50 USD you got 200 million in total revenue. You have to remove mayby 10-20 USD for retail and so on. Then you have cost for marketing and so on. If it is sonys report that indicates that they are taking a loss, GoW2 should be a part of the equation simple put that they own that game.

It took me two minutes to do this research.

Why Gears of War cost $60

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3-xbox360-costs-tech-cx_rr_game06_1219expensivegames.html

Art/Design: 25% (about $15)
Programming And Engineering: 20% (about $12)
Retail: 20% ($12)
Console Owner Fee: 11.5% (about $7)
Marketing: 7% (about $4)
Market Development Fund: 5% (about $3)
Manufacturing Costs, Packaging: 5% (about $3)
Licensing: 5% (about $3)
Publisher profit: 1.5% (about $1)
Distributor: 1.5% (about $1)
Corporate Costs (quantitative analysis, management overhead): 0.3% (about 20 cents)
Hardware development costs: 0.05% (less than 3 cents)

Does that include Tax in 'Retailer' as the UK has to pay V.A.T of 17.5%?

Good to see this site is still going 

Probably not, but vat most likely gets added onto the price. So instead of costing $60 US at the retailer, the price would be revised to $60 + vat or thereabouts. I wouldn't take any of these numbers as gospel, but it does give you a rough idea of the breakdown of costs.

Erik Aston said:

Hmm. I don't know. If they were really serious about this, I think they'd plan to lose a billion a year for 5 years, like Microsoft. Honestly, a company should be willing to lose 15 or 20 billion dollars over three complete console generations if they're really serious about this.

You are joking, right? No company in the world other than Microsoft could even afford that. Nintendo and Sony never had to take a billion $ loss when they broke into this business (80s and 90s respectively). They captured market leadership through the strength of their products. So this is what you should advise (aspiring or existing) competitors to work on foremost.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

If I am not mistaken the PS2 launch provided similar losses. Sony made profits two years in.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said:
If I am not mistaken the PS2 launch provided similar losses. Sony made profits two years in.

Do you have any data on what the initial losses for the PS2 were? I know they took losses, but I don't know what the amounts were.