By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's gaming unit lost $443 mil 3Q

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,in two quarters they have passed from 443 million in losses to 113 in benefit so they have improved a lot .

Besides ,werent Nintendo shares falling a lot recently ?

Is shares falling a couple of dollars supposed to be attention grabbing when Nintendo just made 2.5 billion in the last 9 months in pure profit? Now THAT puts the 115m sony made into perspective....

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
DMeisterJ said:
FishyJoe said:
DMeisterJ said:
It's so funny to look back at these threads, now that Sony Gaming division just made 113 million bucks.

Yet at the same time, Sony as an investment was a losing proposition. Sony is down since the time of my post over 20%. Contrast to Nintendo being up over 50%. Who's laughing now?

Cherry picking is used metaphorically to indicate the act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

And you are doing a fine job at it.

LOL.  I'm not the one forgetting that a few short quarters later, they have made money, while being able to lower the price of their system.  And the sales are only increasing, as January's NPD has shown, and with better and bigger software on the horizon, sales can only go up, especially with another impending Price drop.  But I'm the one cherry picking?  That's funny.

ouch that has to hurt

I have the feeling that FishyJoe and DMeisterJ are talking about two different things...

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

"I'm not the one forgetting that a few short quarters later, they have made money, while being able to lower the price of their system. And the sales are only increasing, as January's NPD has shown, and with better and bigger software on the horizon, sales can only go up, especially with another impending Price drop. "

2003 GameCube fans called. They want their internet arguments back.

Oh what the hell am I saying. Nintendo never lost money in the range of $2 billion for the year, even on the GameCube.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
FishyJoe said:
DMeisterJ said:
It's so funny to look back at these threads, now that Sony Gaming division just made 113 million bucks.

Yet at the same time, Sony as an investment was a losing proposition. Sony is down since the time of my post over 20%. Contrast to Nintendo being up over 50%. Who's laughing now?

Cherry picking is used metaphorically to indicate the act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

That's pretty lame responce DMJ, since the stock price is the basic indicator of how well the company is doing.

It would be like a doctor saying his patient heart beat is dropping and the nurse telling him no he's fine and to stop cherry picking.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Stever89 said:
PS3WiiXbox360 said:
Stop with the fanboy crap. Don't you realize that three competitors in this industry is far better than two. Consumers win with lower prices and higher innovation. Lets hope that everyone does well.

I really hate to point this out, but even with 3 consoles, the prices were really high... except for the Wii... which was the only one with what I'd call major innovation unless you count higher graphics and some multimedia stuff a big step up. Also, Wii games are cheaper than 360/PS3 games... so, the lower prices doesn't seem to be happening.

My dad thinks real innovation will occur when a game console will walk around on legs and follow you around... but I keep asking him how that matters to the individual game itself, and he just says "because".

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:
FishyJoe said:
DMeisterJ said:

That's pretty lame responce DMJ, since the stock price is the basic indicator of how well the company is doing.

It would be like a doctor saying his patient heart beat is dropping and the nurse telling him no he's fine and to stop cherry picking.

The chosen time frame for comparing stock prices could be considered cherry picking. For example, lets take a look at the returns over the last 3 months:

SNE = -1.35%

NTDOY = -10.53%

You can show any kind of result just by picking any arbitrary time frame.

Except the time frame isn't arbitrary as the original comments were made at a specific time.

And yet, stocks don't mean a whole lot in terms of success of a console - just look at how well Nintendo makes profit, but stocks can still drop. Microsoft makes billions upon billions every year, but their stock doesn't skyrocket every day - it still bombs like everyone else's stock.

I do believe all 3, companies as a whole, made profit last quarter. And yet all of them are tanking, along with the rest of the stock markets. (tanking is too harsh, it's a slow decline.)

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.