By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's gaming unit lost $443 mil 3Q

DRJ said:

The losses w/o great sales are a disaster. Sony is losing money and market share and I am not sure how they can turn it around. 2B is a lot to lose for any company, and Sony already has a lot of debt so they can't affort to lose too much...

At least they are making money from their movies. I willbe giving them $7 to see spiderman, so that should help pay the interest on their loans for about .0001 seconds...

They aren't going to loss around 2,000,000,000 $'s. These numbers are actually better then expected. The ps2, and psp are selling better then expected. The numbers expected was around 2 billion $'s by many analysists, but it appears that sales were better then expected (not for the ps3 but, for the psp and ps2).

Around the Network

"Sony, which also lowered the price of its higher-end PSP Entertainment Pack 20% to $200, will launch a print and online advertising campaign targeted at teenagers."

Still targeting teenagers? You would have thought they might learn something from Nintendo's marketing of the DS!

Talk about narrowing your appeal *slaps own forehead*.

The PS2 is definitely helping them in some way, tho it is one less PS3 customer (at least for a while).

I am not sure if they can become profitable on each system any time soon. Just about the time they start to reduce costs, they may have to drop the price to keep selling. And if Blu Ray machines become cheaper than a PS3 it will really hurt.

It wasn't analysts providing the estimates, it was Sony itself. And it was in Jan 07, after they could estimate holiday sales. The estimate was somewhere below 250 billion, so probably somewhere in the 240-250 range.

Was God of War 2 included in this because im pretty sure it will make about 200,000,000 million for Sony. Plus God of War sales went up big time too.

Is the PSP making money for Sony? How much are they losing per-sold?

Its weird because for each PS2 sold Sony makes money insted of losing but they still are losing a lot of money. I dunno im confused.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network
roadkillers said:

Was God of War 2 included in this because im pretty sure it will make about 200,000,000 million for Sony. Plus God of War sales went up big time too.

Its weird because for each PS2 sold Sony makes money insted of losing but they still are losing a lot of money. I dunno im confused.

God of War 2 is going to make $200 million in profit???

FishyJoe said:
roadkillers said:

Was God of War 2 included in this because im pretty sure it will make about 200,000,000 million for Sony. Plus God of War sales went up big time too.

God of War 2 is going to make $200 million in profit???

I dunno I just said a number but if the game is 50 bucks and a lot of sites says its selling like crazy (im not sure if thats true) and lets just say it sells 4 million in its lifetime around the world (I would guess it selling around that maybe a little more) then that would equal 200,000,000 million in profit but then they would have to pay there employ's and how much the game took to make so then I would say them making around 160,000,000 on this game. I dunno its my guess but if Gears of War can sell over 4 million on a console that has less then 10 million user base then why cant GoW2. Plus GoW2 had over 1,500,000 pre-orders before launch.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

You have a LOT to learn how much profit is made from a retail game sale. Do some research before you spout numbers or it makes you sound stupid.

FishyJoe said:
You have a LOT to learn how much profit is made from a retail game sale. Do some research before you spout numbers or it makes you sound stupid.
That was unnecessery, especially against a mod if you disagre, start with explaining if they don't listen ignore.
@roadkiller
If you sell 4 million games for 50 USD you got 200 million in total revenue. You have to remove mayby 10-20 USD for retail and so on. Then you have cost for marketing and so on. If it is sonys report that indicates that they are taking a loss, GoW2 should be a part of the equation simple put that they own that game.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Hus said:
DRJ said:
The loss was less because they sold 3 million less PS3s than expected. Had they actually sold that many the loss would have been double or worse.

genius!

since when is production free.

costs them $800 to make a PS3, if they sell one thats $600 back.

I wish they would ban you on these forums as you are nothing but a cocky no it all that puts in his opinion where it is not needed on a constant basis. You make Kwaad look like a saint and quite frankly are starting to not only become annoying but show your low IQ to others.