By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I the only one liking the Voice acting in Metroid Other M?

Khuutra said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

The backlash against it has nothing to do with the quality of voice acting. It always fine - sometimes great. Some can't deal with a talking Samus, let alone a more realistic Samus.  

Some of the backlash does have to do with the quality of voice acting, which frequently isn't up to par (but then I've been playing a lot of BioWare recently)

I would certainly put Bioware's audio at great, if not excellent. You're talking a high standard here.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
jarrod said:

The voice work is passable to decent, the real problem is the script.  WTF Treehouse?!  It's like I'm playing a Resident Evil game or something? :/

Yeah, it's odd that they jumped on this one to have a more literal translation, especially when Treehouse has done phenomanal work on stuff like the Paper Mario games

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
jarrod said:

The voice work is passable to decent, the real problem is the script.  WTF Treehouse?!  It's like I'm playing a Resident Evil game or something? :/

Yeah, it's odd that they jumped on this one to have a more literal translation, especially when Treehouse has done phenomanal work on stuff like the Paper Mario games

Maybe their instructions were to that effect? To preserve the characterization.

I thought the voice acting was great.

I think a lot of the voice acting is dry and stilted in a "very anime" manner.  On occasion, it's not terrible, but it's generally not good.

The writing is atrocious, predictable, cliche, and just plain wrong as it took a formerly strong, independant bounty hunter, and turned her into a whiny little girl almost totally dependant on luck and help from others, rather than the carefully honed skills that should be expected of her.  Samus is overly emotional, and it doesn't fit the character at all.

Same thing they did with King Kong in the 2005 remake--they made him unrealistically, and illogically emotional.

Around the Network
Resident_Hazard said:

I think a lot of the voice acting is dry and stilted in a "very anime" manner.  On occasion, it's not terrible, but it's generally not good.

The writing is atrocious, predictable, cliche, and just plain wrong as it took a formerly strong, independant bounty hunter, and turned her into a whiny little girl almost totally dependant on luck and help from others, rather than the carefully honed skills that should be expected of her.  Samus is overly emotional, and it doesn't fit the character at all.

Same thing they did with King Kong in the 2005 remake--they made him unrealistically, and illogically emotional.

That monkey acted exactly like an ape in love is supposed to act.

I think that the voice acting is too good.

I prefer voice acting in video games to be more like the stuff in House of the Dead 2.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I for one have to recant everything I've said about the story and voicing so far.

I really really enjoy the game, but here are my real complaints: (slightly off topic)

Samus' suit never upgrades, all it does is unlock new equipment. Am I the only one who loved the SNES style of gaming like megaman x, and super metroid where your suit would get cool new parts and hues?

Save points are sometimes very sparse and at other times it's like every other room is a save point. Not a lot of planning went into them IMO. Additionally, the savepoints are VERY sterile. Every savepoint is the exact same room (with the exception of one), and the map adaptation that results from every save visit is cumbersomely long and drawn out. 

The map is very isolated in their seperate levels. I have to keep returning to the central elevator room to access every area. Sector naming (1,2,3,0) are very sterile as well. How am I expected to remember which areas are which, when they have as much personality as a number does?

There have been a couple parts where the existence of a barren room was simply to run through it to hit a switch that opened a door in the previous room. That's the hallmark of an amateur development team IMO.

Too many bosses, not enough normal creeps. 

The wave beam is almost singularly to introduce some puzzling into the gameplay. It's pretty lame and serves no real purpose. For instance, that creature that hangs from the ceiling is shielded from damage when you encounter it. Then you get the wave beam and you can suddenly kill it, except...it doesn't accomplish ANYTHING. There's another room like this where there is two spinning clear cylinders, and hangy creature at the top of the room and a platform that you have to raise. I say "have to raise" with a bit of chagrin because it turns out, you never once have to use it. You can simply go to the other side and unlock the door without even using the platform. 

LOCKED DOORS. They won't let me explore...wtf seriously.

Other than that, I actually really like the story, except that the characters are really ham-fisted. Their suits are retarded, samus being there (and in the army as well) just doesn't fit being in her suit and everything. Like seriously. She was in the army in her suit while everyone was wearing that other garbage? That's like a group of youth conscripts fighting alongside a T-1000 terminator. Samus annihilated an ENTIRE RACE. groans..

Pretty much yes.

Above: still the best game of the year.

theprof00 said:

I for one have to recant everything I've said about the story and voicing so far.

I really really enjoy the game, but here are my real complaints: (slightly off topic)

Samus' suit never upgrades, all it does is unlock new equipment. Am I the only one who loved the SNES style of gaming like megaman x, and super metroid where your suit would get cool new parts and hues?

Save points are sometimes very sparse and at other times it's like every other room is a save point. Not a lot of planning went into them IMO. Additionally, the savepoints are VERY sterile. Every savepoint is the exact same room (with the exception of one), and the map adaptation that results from every save visit is cumbersomely long and drawn out. 

The map is very isolated in their seperate levels. I have to keep returning to the central elevator room to access every area. Sector naming (1,2,3,0) are very sterile as well. How am I expected to remember which areas are which, when they have as much personality as a number does?

There have been a couple parts where the existence of a barren room was simply to run through it to hit a switch that opened a door in the previous room. That's the hallmark of an amateur development team IMO.

Too many bosses, not enough normal creeps. 

The wave beam is almost singularly to introduce some puzzling into the gameplay. It's pretty lame and serves no real purpose. For instance, that creature that hangs from the ceiling is shielded from damage when you encounter it. Then you get the wave beam and you can suddenly kill it, except...it doesn't accomplish ANYTHING. There's another room like this where there is two spinning clear cylinders, and hangy creature at the top of the room and a platform that you have to raise. I say "have to raise" with a bit of chagrin because it turns out, you never once have to use it. You can simply go to the other side and unlock the door without even using the platform. 

LOCKED DOORS. They won't let me explore...wtf seriously.

Other than that, I actually really like the story, except that the characters are really ham-fisted. Their suits are retarded, samus being there (and in the army as well) just doesn't fit being in her suit and everything. Like seriously. She was in the army in her suit while everyone was wearing that other garbage? That's like a group of youth conscripts fighting alongside a T-1000 terminator. Samus annihilated an ENTIRE RACE. groans..

Didn't read your post just FYI just caught the last bit about the suit, she was given that suit by the chozo, it's not like it's Military regulation and its better than the technology humans have, so yeah their suits are human technology hers is far more advanced Chozo suit that is scarce cause the Chozo have been destroyed lol 

Honestly the above ideas are very far fetched to begin with and for all the people nit picking about the story in Other M they're not calling out the premise of the series itself that is in all the games... The Chozo who were a far more advanced race... completely died out... its hard to believe a group of pirates killed EVERY chozo within Samus' lifetime, it's also far fetched that if humans are that advanced and actually has good relations with the Chozo before they died out that they didn't share/reverse engineer chozo technology... really though people are forgetting its just fiction and it's supposed to be entertaining and in the case of Other M they're trying to convey that through emotions.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000