By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - COD BO Will Be The1st In The Franchise To Have Two Player Splitscreen MP

Have you ever had a friend over and wanted to play some Call of Duty online but found it to be a hassle tossing over the controller every round? Well, we got some great news for you, all you need is a second controller! That’s right,   as well aCall of Duty: Black Ops will be the first in the franchise to feature a two player splitscreen multiplayers a offline combat training mode. But, a sacrifice seems to have been made, the co-op campaign known from Call of Duty: World at War will not be returning. Hit the jump for more info, pictures and sources. 

One of the biggest gaming franchises has added a feature to their incoming game Call of Duty: Black Ops that is sure to grab the attention of those who might not of bought the game otherwise: two player splitscreen. Suspicions of local co-op online started coming about when videos featuring the create a class sections briefly went to the player match menu and below the player’s name was the option to “add controller for splitscreen”. Here’s a picture for reference (click to enlarge) (source):

But, that’s not all. To go on and say that the single image presented here is a surefire confirmation would be quite naive. To confirm things and add a bit of information, but also confirm a non-returning feature, is the Executive Producer working on Black Ops, Daniel Suarez. In an interview from several press, Dan Suarez spoke about a plethora of things, but, the one that stood out was the question if Black Ops would have splitscreen co-op.

http://www.callofdutyfaq.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-splitscreen-online-multiplayer-confirmed-no-co-op-campaign/

Play Me

Around the Network

So, what exactly does this mean? Co-op online/offline with bots only or can it be with a full map of people playing (online, of course.)?

The BuShA owns all!

Hopefully that counts for offline splitscreen against bots! That would so much fun with friends like back on James Bond Nightfire and Killzone 1

That is the best news I heard about the game so far! I'm buying it day one for sure now!

It's the main feature lacking this gen so Black Ops is not to be skipped.

This news is so exciting for me!

I can play Split screen Online with my brother or any other friend.

The last game that had this was Resistance 2 and that was way back in 2008.

So Glad to hear that Black Ops has Online Split Screen.

Around the Network

I'm assuming like Halo 3 and the Left 4 Dead games ?

Not bad.

Amazing..simply amazing that something like this should be considered a new brilliant feature. It's about ****ing time these developers finally caught up. Now give me splitscreen multiplayer with bots and a crapload of fun multiplayer games like flame tag and virus and maybe I'll consider buying.

Until then, *plays TS2 with friends*

A sad first for the franchise. How many years does splitscreen exist? One, two? 

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

GREAT news. This sealed the deal for me.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords