By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN puts down Lost Odyssey, but Kotaku points out...

Squall_Leonhart said:
unyieldinghierophant said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not? Looks like having a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is seeming to be more and more of a good idea!

So more DVD's = worse gameplay ?

Did i say that in my post... NO!

Damn some people are defensive lol

He's not being defensive, he's asking a question. Just like how you asked "The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not?"

Your both being passive aggresive and trying to stay polite, so let me translate for you both.

Squall - "Blu Ray Roxxor"
Unyield - "Get Lost Troll"
Squall - "I'm not a troll!"

Anyways, back on topic - I was hoping for a AAA JRPG to hit the 360 so its a little dissappointing.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
naznatips said:

Here are IGN's full impressions:

FYI naznatips: Sites like that don't like it when you copy and paste entire articles, even if for the purpose of bashing a 360 game. That's usually the type of thing that could eventually lead to IGN lawyers harassing ioi.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Squall_Leonhart said:
The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not? Looks like having a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is seeming to be more and more of a good idea!

It would be an issue if the majority of the games were coming on multilpe disks; but considering I can count the multi-disk games on one hand (that I know of at least), it's not a problem. Granted, in a few years, it will become a bigger issue, but we'll be hearing about (or maybe playing on) the new consoles for the next generation (probably with some new disk format that no one wants...(only joking of course)). I believe this is why MS made the choice to go with DVD. They knew they could keep the costs down by going with it, and they also knew that the size of game data wouldn't expand beyond the confines of DVD very much (if at all).

In fact, the only real reason these JRPGs are coming out on so many discs is because the developers, for some reason, are in love with FMV and must include hours of it. They could just do their cutscenes in engine, but I guess that would be too efficient (I guess you can tell, I personally don't like FMV...takes me out of the game enviroment/experience...I think at least). At any rate, Blu-ray is nice (especially for movie watching) but it's not needed in any serious way right now for gaming (unless you love pre-rendered cut scenes).

mrstickball said:
ClaudeLv250 - How much of Blue Dragon did you play?

I played the Blue Dragon demo and thought it was crap.  Now, I'm totally biased against JRPGs almost as a rule because I find the whole turn thing to be silly...  BUT, I also played the Eternal Sonata demo and even though I would never buy that either, it was superior on every level (again, based on the demo).  As soon as I had to fight my fifth pink "poo snake" I was done with Blue Dragon.

And Lost Odyssey was the game where one long-haired clean-shaven character was wearing pink sunglasses and another long-haired clean-shaven character was wearing a scarf, correct?  If the shooters with a bald space marine protagonist are getting old (and they are), what about turn-based RPGs with feminized/androgynous male protagonists? 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Lost tears of Kain said:

though seriously my faith in Review sites has been lost. IGN has even lost my respect by placing many games to low or too high.

Ill wait for game informer and gametrailers.

Eerily reminiscent of statements made by leo-j after Lair reviews started to come out...

(I'm not comparing LO to Lair) 

Around the Network
Hockeymac18 said:

In fact, the only real reason these JRPGs are coming out on so many discs is because the developers, for some reason, are in love with FMV and must include hours of it. They could just do their cutscenes in engine, but I guess that would be too efficient (I guess you can tell, I personally don't like FMV...takes me out of the game enviroment/experience...I think at least).

Agreed.

sinha said:
naznatips said:

FYI naznatips: Sites like that don't like it when you copy and paste entire articles, even if for the purpose of bashing a 360 game. That's usually the type of thing that could eventually lead to IGN lawyers harassing ioi.

If you read through IGN's guidelines for re-posting you'd know it's fine as long as they're credited. ;)

Sales are appear to be holding in Japan for Lost Odyssey so it has to be keeping traction somehow. I think after the next few weeks the sales will tell the story on how good the game really is... It is still too early to tell.

Good games keep traction. Average games dissappear from the top 50 charts quickly.

DKII said:
sinha said:
naznatips said:

If you read through IGN's guidelines for re-posting you'd know it's fine as long as they're credited. ;)

Ah I wasn't aware of their specific guidelines, but from my experience on other sites and my experience as a law student, I know this is generally frowned upon.

sinha said:
DKII said:
sinha said:
naznatips said:

Ah I wasn't aware of their specific guidelines, but from my experience on other sites and my experience as a law student, I know this is generally frowned upon.

Not by IGN.  They allow their articles to be freely used as long as you credit them for it.  Also, my purpose was hardly to bash the 360 game, but to show more of the preview than the op which frankly gave no information at all.  I would have assumed a topic about IGN's Lost Odyssey preview would actually give information on what their problems were, but there was no information in the topic at all, so I added the information to the topic to allow discussion to continue.  You have been on the site a while Sinha, and you should know by now Sinha that I certainly have nothing but respect for the 360.