By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN puts down Lost Odyssey, but Kotaku points out...

sinha said:
mrstickball said:
ClaudeLv250 - How much of Blue Dragon did you play?

I played the Blue Dragon demo and thought it was crap.  Now, I'm totally biased against JRPGs almost as a rule because I find the whole turn thing to be silly...  BUT, I also played the Eternal Sonata demo and even though I would never buy that either, it was superior on every level (again, based on the demo).  As soon as I had to fight my fifth pink "poo snake" I was done with Blue Dragon.

And Lost Odyssey was the game where one long-haired clean-shaven character was wearing pink sunglasses and another long-haired clean-shaven character was wearing a scarf, correct?  If the shooters with a bald space marine protagonist are getting old (and they are), what about turn-based RPGs with feminized/androgynous male protagonists? 

The demo for Blue Dragon never should have existed. It is, hands down, the demo that is least representative of the actual game out of the hundreds of demos I have played over time. I absolutely despised the demo for BD yet after playing through the game, I ended up giving it an 8.5 score. It went from rental to purchase in about 6 hours of play.

I have issues with IGN posting a mini-review of LO after six hours because of the 40 hour marathon nature of JRPGs. You usually don't hit full stride in those games until hour 10... But those technical issues are certainly unsettling.

I'll probably end up GameFlying it until I can get a few hours in and see exactly how bad these issues are on my system. It seems to me that lately IGN has been using over the top impressions to try to drive up site hits.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Whats with 360 fanboys, always having to go to the negative place and bash everyone else for their views...

Some people are trying to discuss the merits of this game, and you wish to discuss the number of discs. What are you doing in this thread? Start a thread titled "All games with more than one disc suck!" and have your fun there. For those of us with more than one game, changing discs really is not a problem. Judging by PS3 software sales, most PS3 owners never have to change discs. Discuss amongst your selves.

Zyzomys said:
Whats with 360 fanboys, always having to go to the negative place and bash everyone else for their views...

Some people are trying to discuss the merits of this game, and you wish to discuss the number of discs. What are you doing in this thread? Start a thread titled "All games with more than one disc suck!" and have your fun there. For those of us with more than one game, changing discs really is not a problem. Judging by PS3 software sales, most PS3 owners never have to change discs. Discuss amongst your selves.

At what point did i say that the game sucked?? I was just surprised that it was so many disks, i mean aren't you?

Squall_Leonhart said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not? Looks like having a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is seeming to be more and more of a good idea!

Like the game starring the very person you named yourself after? And don't tell me that has changed because the formats have. Games don't flop because they are on more than one discs. That doesn't mean there are not multi-disc flops. It just means that being multi-disc, just by itself, is not one of the causes.

In other words, no, blu-ray on the PS3 is not a good idea soley because of no multi-disc games. There can be other benefits, but running one disc games is not it.

The problem with that being at the time there was no other format available to be used for games,

Um, carts. Sure it hurt the N64, but those also cost a lot more, so that cannot be a problem for the 360, since DVDs cost less than blu-ray.

but there most certainly is now!

So? HDDs can fit even more, so you HAVE TO attack the PS3 for using a limited disc for its games, since there are options greater than blu-ray.

I am not bashing the fact that the game comes in multiple DVD's, thats just paranoia if thats what your thinking, all i was meaning is that i'm surprised that it is on 4 DVD's...

No. You said the blu-ray is looking like a good idea. That is still a way to attack the 360, but implying it was a bad idea to stick with DVD. Yet sales show this has not hurt the 360.

You must be new here. I don't even have a 360, or even and Xbox. I just attack people for twisting the truth.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Squall_Leonhart said:
Zyzomys said:

At what point did i say that the game sucked?? I was just surprised that it was so many disks, i mean aren't you?

No. Why? First of all, are you aware of how little DVD drives cost now? That's why Microsoft went with them, capacity or not.

Second, do you know what's actually in the game? Lot's of FMVs, and a multi-language voice track, which PS3 games have. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
ITBobby said:
Well. I couldnt care less about IGN, im not visit that site so i dont know nothing about the people there. What i know is, that many people havent the same problems when playing Lost Odyssey as IGN.
FF have lost the special feeling and i start to think its overrated. I will always remember the time when Squaresoft was at top with the old FF games, but since FF X-2, im lost the entuasm about the series. FXIII? Not much info, but what ive seen, trailers, it feel to much sci fiction, and the atmosphere isnt that magic feeling anymore. Im sure it will be a great game, but i feel no hype about it. I wish i could, but Lost Odyssey got everything i dream to see in a jrpg.
Its time for a new franchise to take place and Lost Odyssey will make it good, but it will not sell nearly Final Fantasy XIII sales. Thats just my opinion, and i respect others, but bashing a game without even playing it, make no sense.

This thread is full of win

if FF has the same feel as FF 12 im done with that series. As long as LO contains a story (and much of it has shown it does) then it>FF 13 in my mind.

However if FF 13 can contain even half as good as story as FF 10 then it may redeem itself. However the combat in FF 13 looks incredible so i think combat FF >LO

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Lost tears of Kain said:
ITBobby said:
Well. I couldnt care less about IGN, im not visit that site so i dont know nothing about the people there. What i know is, that many people havent the same problems when playing Lost Odyssey as IGN.
FF have lost the special feeling and i start to think its overrated. I will always remember the time when Squaresoft was at top with the old FF games, but since FF X-2, im lost the entuasm about the series. FXIII? Not much info, but what ive seen, trailers, it feel to much sci fiction, and the atmosphere isnt that magic feeling anymore. Im sure it will be a great game, but i feel no hype about it. I wish i could, but Lost Odyssey got everything i dream to see in a jrpg.
Its time for a new franchise to take place and Lost Odyssey will make it good, but it will not sell nearly Final Fantasy XIII sales. Thats just my opinion, and i respect others, but bashing a game without even playing it, make no sense.

if FF has the same feel as FF 12 im done with that series. As long as LO contains a story (and much of it has shown it does) then it>FF 13 in my mind.

However if FF 13 can contain even half as good as story as FF 10 then it may redeem itself. However the combat in FF 13 looks incredible so i think combat FF >LO

What really matters is will FFXIII only sell 40k on the first day? I wonder

jhlennon1 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
ITBobby said:

What really matters is will FFXIII only sell 40k on the first day? I wonder

what happens with well known franchises

if at least 1 game in the series is kick ass and becomes well known the rest can slack and it sucks.

I hope SE releases some info, i dont understand their methods for not releasing it

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Squall_Leonhart said:
gebx said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not? Looks like having a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is seeming to be more and more of a good idea!

Like the game starring the very person you named yourself after? And don't tell me that has changed because the formats have. Games don't flop because they are on more than one discs. That doesn't mean there are not multi-disc flops. It just means that being multi-disc, just by itself, is not one of the causes.

In other words, no, blu-ray on the PS3 is not a good idea soley because of no multi-disc games. There can be other benefits, but running one disc games is not it. 

The problem with that being at the time there was no other format available to be used for games, but there most certainly is now! I am not bashing the fact that the game comes in multiple DVD's, thats just paranoia if thats what your thinking, all i was meaning is that i'm surprised that it is on 4 DVD's...

Because you suck at stealth trolling and your still pretending that your original post wasnt meant to be a troll post.

Yeah sure! Whatever you delusional fanboys want to think... What was i thinking coming to a multi-format forums, i thought that there would be less biased idiots but it seems like there are much, much more *sigh*

"WARNING, WARNING . STEALTH TROLLING SUIT FAILING ....  DIVERTING POWER FROM ALTERNATE SOURCES .... AUXILLIARY POWER BEING DRAINED .... ATTEMPTING TO DRAW POWER FROM BLU-RAY PLAYER .... FAILING, FAILING .... STEALTH TROLLING SUIT DEACTIVATING"

You should get out of here quick before you are completely exposed, your 'Stealth Trolling Suit' (STS) is almost out of power

unyieldinghierophant said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
gebx said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

The problem with that being at the time there was no other format available to be used for games, but there most certainly is now! I am not bashing the fact that the game comes in multiple DVD's, thats just paranoia if thats what your thinking, all i was meaning is that i'm surprised that it is on 4 DVD's...

Because you suck at stealth trolling and your still pretending that your original post wasnt meant to be a troll post.

Yeah sure! Whatever you delusional fanboys want to think... What was i thinking coming to a multi-format forums, i thought that there would be less biased idiots but it seems like there are much, much more *sigh*

"WARNING, WARNING . STEALTH TROLLING SUIT FAILING ....  DIVERTING POWER FROM ALTERNATE SOURCES .... AUXILLIARY POWER BEING DRAINED .... ATTEMPTING TO DRAW POWER FROM BLU-RAY PLAYER .... FAILING, FAILING .... STEALTH TROLLING SUIT DEACTIVATING"

You should get out of here quick before you are completely exposed, your 'Stealth Trolling Suit' (STS) is almost out of power

How insanely pathetic... What age are you? 6? lol