By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN puts down Lost Odyssey, but Kotaku points out...

Harvey Birdman said:
I think we are in a age where it should not take four discs to fit a game. I'm not saying that it being four discs makes the game bad, but it can be an inconvenience.

Then you'd be in an age where the laws of math don't apply. The only other way we would NEVER need four discs on a game is content never growing.

If you think we should stop having multi-disc games, you've been sold. It's a matter of content exceeding capacity. That does not change. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
boilermaker11 said:
When will everyone stop tossing a "J" on RPGs? When games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Legend of Dragoon, etc came out, nobody said "This is the best JAYrpg ever", they simply called it an RPG. It should be undertsood that RPGs are Japanese, however, calling a game a WRPG (Western) is different as Westerners try and make RPGs of their own. But still, when it comes to Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests.....leave the "J" out, because those same games weren't called "JRPGs" 10 years earlier.

Oh how I miss the days of yore........

/silly rant over

Because Japanese Rpg's have a distinctive style to them, plus it's just easy to type, that's why I slap on the J.

I'm sure glad I don't listen to reviewers, especially when it comes to RPGs. I still want this game and I have a feeling it's going to turn out great.

I hope this game turns out to be good enough to make me want to buy. I haven't enjoyed games since the old Final Fantasy, Lunar days on the Super Nintendo, and Sega Saturn.

boilermaker11 said:
When will everyone stop tossing a "J" on RPGs? When games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Legend of Dragoon, etc came out, nobody said "This is the best JAYrpg ever", they simply called it an RPG. It should be undertsood that RPGs are Japanese, however, calling a game a WRPG (Western) is different as Westerners try and make RPGs of their own. But still, when it comes to Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests.....leave the "J" out, because those same games weren't called "JRPGs" 10 years earlier.

Oh how I miss the days of yore........

/silly rant over

You think genre distinctions don't change in ten years? Ten years ago, Bioshock would be technically a Doom clone, since the term first-person shooter had not become distinct term by then.

Also, western RPGs were big on the PC, but a niche product on consoles. Therefore, JRPGs had little to contrast them with. Now we have western RPGs, action RPGs, MMORPGs, Strategy RPGs, JRPGs, etc.

So we are calling those games JRPGs now because we are AWARE of other sub-genres of RPGs. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Looks like it takes MUCH MORE than Skaguchi & uematsu to ake a FINAL FANTASY

roll on FFXIII

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

LordTheNightKnight said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not? Looks like having a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is seeming to be more and more of a good idea!

Like the game starring the very person you named yourself after? And don't tell me that has changed because the formats have. Games don't flop because they are on more than one discs. That doesn't mean there are not multi-disc flops. It just means that being multi-disc, just by itself, is not one of the causes.

In other words, no, blu-ray on the PS3 is not a good idea soley because of no multi-disc games. There can be other benefits, but running one disc games is not it. 

The problem with that being at the time there was no other format available to be used for games, but there most certainly is now! I am not bashing the fact that the game comes in multiple DVD's, thats just paranoia if thats what your thinking, all i was meaning is that i'm surprised that it is on 4 DVD's...

Whats with 360 fanboys, always having to go to the negative place and bash everyone else for their views... 

Well. I couldnt care less about IGN, im not visit that site so i dont know nothing about the people there. What i know is, that many people havent the same problems when playing Lost Odyssey as IGN.
FF have lost the special feeling and i start to think its overrated. I will always remember the time when Squaresoft was at top with the old FF games, but since FF X-2, im lost the entuasm about the series. FXIII? Not much info, but what ive seen, trailers, it feel to much sci fiction, and the atmosphere isnt that magic feeling anymore. Im sure it will be a great game, but i feel no hype about it. I wish i could, but Lost Odyssey got everything i dream to see in a jrpg.
Its time for a new franchise to take place and Lost Odyssey will make it good, but it will not sell nearly Final Fantasy XIII sales. Thats just my opinion, and i respect others, but bashing a game without even playing it, make no sense.

Carpe Diem!

Squall_Leonhart said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
The game is on 4 DVD's... Thats a bit much is it not? Looks like having a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is seeming to be more and more of a good idea!

Like the game starring the very person you named yourself after? And don't tell me that has changed because the formats have. Games don't flop because they are on more than one discs. That doesn't mean there are not multi-disc flops. It just means that being multi-disc, just by itself, is not one of the causes.

In other words, no, blu-ray on the PS3 is not a good idea soley because of no multi-disc games. There can be other benefits, but running one disc games is not it. 

The problem with that being at the time there was no other format available to be used for games, but there most certainly is now! I am not bashing the fact that the game comes in multiple DVD's, thats just paranoia if thats what your thinking, all i was meaning is that i'm surprised that it is on 4 DVD's...

Whats with 360 fanboys, always having to go to the negative place and bash everyone else for their views... 

Because you suck at stealth trolling and your still pretending that your original post wasnt meant to be a troll post.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

Because you suck at stealth trolling and your still pretending that your original post wasnt meant to be a troll post.

Yeah sure! Whatever you delusional fanboys want to think... What was i thinking coming to a multi-format forums, i thought that there would be less biased idiots but it seems like there are much, much more *sigh*