By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo pulls Wii ads due to demand

azzer100 said:
Wow. Whats it coming to when you have to stop advertising because your selling to much?!?

So let me get this staight...Nintendo thought they'd sell 14m by march 2008, then that went up to 17.5m but now its more like 20m and with the possiblity that it could even reach 21-22m? Crazy stuff
what they mean is that they expect to sell 14 million inbetween March 2007 and March 2008. That doesnt include the wiis sold from launch to March 2007. I cant remember the figure for march, but say that 6 million wiis had been sold by march 2007; they expect that by march 2008 another 17.5 million will be sold, so using very simple math:
6+17.5= 23.5 million wiis.
So basically, they expect that by march 2008, the Wii will have a total sales of 23.5 million wiis (if the figures i used are correct, they were just a guideline :P).

Around the Network
tk1989 said:
azzer100 said:
Wow. Whats it coming to when you have to stop advertising because your selling to much?!?

So let me get this staight...Nintendo thought they'd sell 14m by march 2008, then that went up to 17.5m but now its more like 20m and with the possiblity that it could even reach 21-22m? Crazy stuff
what they mean is that they expect to sell 14 million inbetween March 2007 and March 2008. That doesnt include the wiis sold from launch to March 2007. I cant remember the figure for march, but say that 6 million wiis had been sold by march 2007; they expect that by march 2008 another 17.5 million will be sold, so using very simple math:
6+17.5= 23.5 million wiis.
So basically, they expect that by march 2008, the Wii will have a total sales of 23.5 million wiis (if the figures i used are correct, they were just a guideline :P).

It should also be said that Nintendo tends to underestimate their sales :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

masschamber said:
Hmm, it makes sense not to advertise a product that people will inherently buy anyway, I guess giant lines in the morning and big notices about the wii being sold out will due more than any television campaign.
I wish sony would pull the psp ads on the grounds their really annoying,
"Hey, buy our handheld and be accosted by this really annoying guy!" I swear sony is trying to do everything they can not to sell the psp, sony seriously needs to rewatch some of their old ps1 advertisements and see how you try to sell a product, annoying people and bizarre imagery don't

I kind of agree, I don;t want to buy a system and be annoyed by some dude, I don't want to buy anything and have people be like "you get that new ***** Sweeeettt!"and after doing that I don't want them coming to my house or trying to anyway. I see what they're doing but they could go about it a little better, they're saying "Hey look it's our PSP it's cool it makes you cool" there's better ways to advertise that then have a leech of a man latching onto people with the PSP though...

Nintendo spend a LOT of money advertising - and much of this is on the Wii.

I was wondering what would happen if they cut 50% of their Wii advertising budget - and pocketing the money. Be an extra $50m-100m + for the year...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

That's bad. They should have taken a little more risk. Now some people are going to buy a product of of a competitor instead.

Why don't they put up ads for Wii software instead? Metroid 3 could really use it.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Around the Network

interesting. Maybe Wii stockpiles are not as large as I first thought.

But I agree with ElRhodeo here, They should put that money towards advertising software.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

That's ridiculous. Sales are sales, period. But indeed, they should use better software ads instead. Not showing Mario Galaxy as if its a 2 person game only, and showing the good old family having fun with the WII, is really starting to make me sick.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

yeah ads would have been better--but then again its for teh DS and thats a monster in its own right

*~Onna76~* said:
That's ridiculous. Sales are sales, period. But indeed, they should use better software ads instead. Not showing Mario Galaxy as if its a 2 person game only, and showing the good old family having fun with the WII, is really starting to make me sick.

Yes, they do aim awfully "casual", don't they? I'm sure some gamers like it too, but they don't want that to happen!

The Wii doesn't need ads in USA right now, viral marketing is doing all the necessary work. Software could use some ads, though.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957