By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo pulls Wii ads due to demand

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/item/58871/258/262/3

Nintendo, the gaming giant, has been forced to pull ads for its Wii console in the run up to Christmas as demand is already too high.

The campaign for Wii, created by Karmarama, will be replaced by ads for its handheld console, Nintendo DS.

The company says that it has been forced to pull the ads because retailers have been running out of consoles and it would be irresponsible to continue with the campaign.

A Nintendo spokesman says: "We have been running the campaign all year round, but we want to take a responsible stance this Christmas and not fuel demand."

Nintendo adds that, as the campaign is not seasonally themed, it can be put back to the New Year when the Christmas rush is over. The media planning and buying is handled by Mediaedge:cia.

One ad industry insider says: "You can tell what has been happening. They have a lot of spots on TV, but I am seeing more ads for the DS than I am for the Wii, so you can draw your own conclusions."

Although production has been stepped up to 1.8 million units a month, Nintendo says that it has not been able to meet the demand.

The game company has increased its forecast of the number of units it expects to sell in the year to March 2008 from 14 million to 17.5 million.

Around the Network

The game company has increased its forecast of the number of units it expects to sell in the year to March 2008 from 14 million to 17.5 million.

I don't get this? They already passed 14 million?

Very responsible.
And they mean for the fiscal year of 2007, march 2007 to 2008

wow.

konnichiwa said:

Sell 17.5M from March 2007 to March 2008. Before, they were expecting to sell 14M during that one year period.

Add to that November 2006-March 2007, and Nintendo now expects to have sold 20M+ Wii's by March 2008. 

Around the Network
DonWii said:
konnichiwa said:

Sell 17.5M from March 2007 to March 2008. Before, they were expecting to sell 14M during that one year period.

Add to that November 2006-March 2007, and Nintendo now expects to have sold 20M+ Wii's by March 2008.

more than 20 mil actually, more like 21-22 mil

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Wow. Whats it coming to when you have to stop advertising because your selling to much?!?

So let me get this staight...Nintendo thought they'd sell 14m by march 2008, then that went up to 17.5m but now its more like 20m and with the possiblity that it could even reach 21-22m? Crazy stuff

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

azzer100 said:
Wow. Whats it coming to when you have to stop advertising because your selling to much?!?

So let me get this staight...Nintendo thought they'd sell 14m by march 2008, then that went up to 17.5m but now its more like 20m and with the possiblity that it could even reach 21-22m? Crazy stuff

well your twisting things a little, but yea:P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Wii domination ends.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Hmm, it makes sense not to advertise a product that people will inherently buy anyway, I guess giant lines in the morning and big notices about the wii being sold out will due more than any television campaign.
I wish sony would pull the psp ads on the grounds their really annoying,
"Hey, buy our handheld and be accosted by this really annoying guy!" I swear sony is trying to do everything they can not to sell the psp, sony seriously needs to rewatch some of their old ps1 advertisements and see how you try to sell a product, annoying people and bizarre imagery don't

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!