By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect Sports is gonna be the great motion party game ever!!!

On topic...this is about Kinect Sports. And I agree, this game looks like good fun with the fam. And good fun with the fam over Xbox Live.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Around the Network

I doubt it's going to be the greatest motion party game ever when it only supports 2 players. 2 players isn't much of a party.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

I doubt it's going to be the greatest motion party game ever when it only supports 2 players. 2 players isn't much of a party.

There we have it.  The biggest piece of the puzzle that nobody wants to talk about.   And Microsoft certainly won't advertise.  This is by far the biggest problem with Kinect.   I think it will have it's own niche in the fitness / dance department but I still don't believe it can appeal to a massive amount of casuals because of this lack of serious multi-player.    The move actually will suffer from this a bit as well butnot as severely.    As I feel like the only true games that will come for Kinect are these casual / fitness / dance type of games. 

kowhoho said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're a horrible liar.

You even said this, "This would be an example of someone who doesn't look like they're having much fun at all. He flicks his wrist at the screen the whole time."

You clearly posted that video specifically because the game looks boring. You could of found a game that made better use of Kinect's technology or was more interactive, but no. You for some reason had to post that specifically.

I haven't ever found a game that does use it well. For this reason I came to you but you had to blow everything out of proportion.

Well I have definitely seen games that make better use of the technology than that pile of crap. So have you, which is why you specifically chose it.

This wouldn't have gotten blown out of proportion if your obvious bias against the Kinect didn't come out.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Rpruett said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

There we have it.  The biggest piece of the puzzle that nobody wants to talk about.   And Microsoft certainly won't advertise.  This is by far the biggest problem with Kinect.   I think it will have it's own niche in the fitness / dance department but I still don't believe it can appeal to a massive amount of casuals because of this lack of serious multi-player.    The move actually will suffer from this a bit as well butnot as severely.    As I feel like the only true games that will come for Kinect are these casual / fitness / dance type of games. 

Well its a trade off. Full body support for 2 players vs 4 player games that only follow your hands. And let me tell ya, it ain't no party when you don't have enough Move/Wiimotes for 4 players or your batties die.

Pick your poison.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Rpruett said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Well its a trade off. Full body support for 2 players vs 4 player games that only follow your hands.

Pick your poison.

I agree but it's a pretty large trade-off in my opinion.  It's actually one of the biggest mis-steps I believe Sony has made in regards to the direction of the PS3 as it pertains to sales in North America.  I think Sony would be wise to invest in more 4 player games.  4 player off-line, 4 player co-op, 2 player co-op, etc.   

Their current landscape has produced the most technically advanced games on the market but the lack of games they have without a valuable multi-player is what holds them back (Or held them back initially as they are actually drastically improving).   Kinect is walking down this same path as far as I'm concerned. 

It's already a device that seems like it will most likely be limited without hearing about the player limit / sitting-standing issue/ etc.   I don't know about you but a two player track and field event just doesn't sound like that much fun to me? Now 4 players?  Now you have a serious race filled with fun and crazyness.  

The other issue that I see with it is TV size / space requirements.  It's naturally going to require a large TV even for two players.  I can't imagine playing many full throttle Kinect games two player on a TV any smaller than 40 - 46 inches. 

Rpruett said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Rpruett said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Well its a trade off. Full body support for 2 players vs 4 player games that only follow your hands.

Pick your poison.

It's already a device that seems like it will most likely be limited without hearing about the player limit / sitting-standing issue/ etc.   I don't know about you but a two player track and field event just doesn't sound like that much fun to me? Now 4 players?  Now you have a serious race filled with fun. 

When I was a kid we used to play the NES power pad with only two racers and it was a fucking blast I tells ya!!!

The player limit isn't a big deal for me. Most living rooms don't even have the space for 4 people to jump around and dance. It doesn't have x-ray vision, people need to be side by side. Maybe down the road we'll be able to connect two Kinect units to a single console!

The device seems to work while sitting and crouching. There have been articles about it working while sitting down. It even appears to recognize people laying on the ground. so I'm not sure what that talk is about.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
kowhoho said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're a horrible liar.

You even said this, "This would be an example of someone who doesn't look like they're having much fun at all. He flicks his wrist at the screen the whole time."

You clearly posted that video specifically because the game looks boring. You could of found a game that made better use of Kinect's technology or was more interactive, but no. You for some reason had to post that specifically.

I haven't ever found a game that does use it well. For this reason I came to you but you had to blow everything out of proportion.

Well I have definitely seen games that make better use of the technology than that pile of crap. So have you, which is why you specifically chose it.

This wouldn't have gotten blown out of proportion if your obvious bias against the Kinect didn't come out.

All of the games I've seen for it suck (imo) as far as a technological and "fun" level go.

Bias implies prejudice and I am not prejudiced against anything here. I really haven't seen anything good for it. If you have seen something that people like me would actually want to spend time and money on, I'm open to education.

I watched the Forza demo which honestly felt like half a game because you can't even accelerate.What's the point.

I saw that Harry Potter hogwash.

I stomached the video for Kinect Adventures, which had people move uncomfortably to dodge obstacles while standing still on a platform.

I've seen actual gameplay for the sports compilation, where football is just a choice of kicking left, right or forward and the race is all about running in place like a baffoon and jumping 10 feet before the hurdle because the camera needs a second to pick it up.

I've seen plenty and none of it has been anything more than mediocre.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Very few games are designed to work well as 4 player games, but those that were really work best as party games.

But saying that a 2 player cap for Kinect is somehow an advantage so you don't have to buy/own a bigger HDTV that 3 or 4 people can see at once or buy more than 2 controllers is just ridiculous. It's a limitation when designing multiplayer games and it's a limitation if players want a 4 player party game and there is absolutely no positive way to spin that.

That commercial was awful and will not attract casuals. Or anyone else for that matter. The presentation of gameplay was awkward, the music sucked and those avatars look hideous.