By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation platform claims 377 million units sold to date!

Azelover said:

We're not gonna know how much the PS has really sold, particularly the PS2 because of these confusions. What Sony has paints a bigger number and we won't know the difference until a serious research method is applied. There's been serious talk that the PS2 was sold to less than 100 million consumer households actually.

By who?  The PS2 has sold over 65 million to consumers in just the United States and Japan.  Are you really suggesting that either NPD/Media Create/etc are wrong or that the PS2 sold less than 35 million in the rest of the Americas, Asia, and Europe?

Obviously the same household can buy more than one console, but that doesn't really factor into your assertion that 100 million haven't actually been sold.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
TWRoO said:

Errr Sony's own website has had the PS1 at 102.49 million for years... where have these additional consoles come from.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html

And as someone else said, 2 billion SW figure is too low.

Sony are really terrible at getting their figures right.

By this table...

PS1 = 102.49M
PSOne = 28.15M

TOTAL PS =  130.64M

And software maybe count just from Sony Producer.

by the table, wouldn't it mean 28.15 PSOne is out of the 102.49 total PS sold instead of additional units?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Do you guys know how to read?

The 28m is a subset of the 102.49m. That is why it is in parenthesis. If PS1 and PSONE were counted as seperate devices Sony would list a subtotal of 130m first, and then the PS1 and PSONE total.

Gamasutra just made a terrible typo.

Game Spot doesnt know a damn thing. There just haven't been 377m Playstations shipped yet.

These are the figures through June 2010:

Its 102.5m for PS1 (Figures are through March 2007 - PS1 didnt ship 30m over the last three years - even PS2 barely did and its a far younger platform. Sony specifically says it 28m of the 102.5m PS1s were PSones and shipments didnt increase in 2006-2007)

Its 146.1m for PS2 (136 shipped as of Dec 2008 according to this and this, about 10m shipped since. You get the same figure using a similar press release citing March 2009 figures)

Its 62.7m for PSP (51.6m shipped as of March 2009, 11.1m shipped since)

Its 38.1m for PS3

The only issue in the numbers is that Gamasutra doesn't know how to read, and so the number is being spread like a virus by Game Spot.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Can't believe he bold faced said "we put SEGA out of the hardware business". I don't think that's an accomplishment. If that's your road to success, then you believe in monopolizing the market. And that shit just don't fly

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30313/On_PlayStations_15th_Birthday_Platform_Claims_349_Million_Consoles_Sold.php

Today, September 9, is the 15th anniversary of the PlayStation; including the original console and its two subsequent editions, the platform has sold 349 million hardware units and over 2 billion software units to date, the company announced today.

In today's Gamasutra feature, Sony Computer Entertainment senior VP of marketing Peter Dille reflects on the system's unusual, disruptive launch: "We sold more than [102 million] PS1s, went on to sell more than 146 million PS2s, put Sega out of the hardware business, established us as a household brand, [and] created a huge profit center for Sony Corporation," he says.

It all started with a bold move: Going maverick with an idea that was originally intended simply as a Nintendo peripheral, and implementing the optical disc technology in which Sony was one of the market leaders at the time.

It started, according to Dille, "several years in advance" of the PlayStation's 1994 Japan launch (it would see a U.S. release in 1995), and he remembers being called into then-Sony CEO Mickey Schulhof's office to learn the plan.

"He called me into his office -- and I never had got a call to Mickey Schulhof's office -- and he asked for my help to develop a press release announcing this thing called the PlayStation, which was going to be a peripheral to the Nintendo," Dille tells us.

That information has since come publicly to light, but as Dille highlights: "What Mickey was doing was in effect, negotiating with Nintendo in the press by saying, 'We're prepared to launch this thing on our own if you don't honor the agreement that we had with you,'" he says. "And I thought it was just fascinating to sort of watch this all go down and see how this high stakes game of poker was being played."

"And when Nintendo made their decision, they put out an announcement with Philips," Dille continues. "This was on the eve of CES, you might remember. At that very moment in time, Mickey and a number of senior executives at Sony, said, 'We're going to launch our own product, and we're going to compete to win.'"

Since then, the PlayStation platform has generated over $63 billion in revenue, according to Sony's announcement today. The company claims the equivalent of 40 percent of the overall video game marketshare in the U.S. to date.

The company will be offering fans several new initiatives in celebration of the brand's anniversary: It'll offer free downloadable static themes on the PlayStation Store, weekly discounts on titles in a "15th anniversary collection" in SCEA territories, and a commemorative PSone ornament in its PlayStation Home virtual environment on PS3.

The full Gamasutra feature interview with Dille provides a fascinating look back on the launch of an iconic brand as it turns 15 years old today.

[UPDATE: A previous version of this story cited a Sony press release that said the PlayStation family of hardware sold 377 million to date. But the company corrected that figure in a statement to Gamasutra, as 349 million units have actually been sold to date.

The discrepancy came from figures for the original PlayStation -- Dille originally stated in the Gamasutra feature interview that the console sold 130 million, but it has actually sold 102 million units. A SCEA rep that apologized for the company's error said that in any case, the 349 million-unit landmark "is clearly still an amazing accomplishment that we are incredibly proud of."]

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

EDIT: Dup post again.

So Sony PR error.

/thread.

CGI-Quality said:
BMaker11 said:

Can't believe he bold faced said "we put SEGA out of the hardware business". I don't think that's an accomplishment. If that's your road to success, then you believe in monopolizing the market. And that shit just don't fly

I was actually pretty disappointed and shocked by that too. I'm wondering if the author himself added that, along with screwing up the figures. To me, that seems rather bold to come out and say, especially given how much exclusive support Sega has provided Sony this gen.

It was a press release note. "the author" is Sony PR Team.

CGI-Quality said:
BMaker11 said:

I was actually pretty disappointed and shocked by that too. I'm wondering if the author himself added that, along with screwing up the figures. To me, that seems rather bold to come out and say, especially given how much exclusive support Sega has provided Sony this gen.

SCEA has already admitted they made a mistake, according to a quote in one of the latest posts. So it was not the author's mistake, and it's probably not the author's stupidity either in the Sega part...

Someone needs to straighten up this SCEA PR team.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

You think they would be mentioning how it's close to 3 billion in software now.  almost 1 billion ps1 1.5billion ps2 so around 2.5 just from the first 2.  So with the 425million from the PS3 and PSP they should be gettin pretty close to it.