By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar could split from Take Two - Possible MS/Sony alliance?

what if nintendo bought them? completely destroys that kiddie image, doesn't it?

Around the Network

This again?

Well lets just say this, anyone who believes it is going to happen can go ahead and hold their breath until it does =)

Aside from how expensive it would be for these companies to buy the brand and ignoring the fact that both companies are looking to become profitable in this market sooner rather than MUCH later,  it doesn't make any sense for the reasons stated by Fishyjoe.

Plain and simple, R* likely couldn't produce enough games this generation to allow a company to recoup its cost, because keep in mind that while R* may produce a lot of revenue the only thing that will truly offset the cost paid to purchase the studio is profits. So not only will Sony/MS be trying to get rid of the usual production overhead but they would also have a gigantic hole dug that they would have to get out of before it would ever become truly worthwhile.

To Each Man, Responsibility

madskillz said:

Had MS and R* made the series exclusive, it would have propelled the Xbox past the PS2.

Not a chance.

The PS2 dominated because it had a strong brand name, huge third party support, and dozens of quality franchises. It also had a years lead on the market. It would be foolish to assume the PS2 was only a success because of one game series.

Dallinor said:

madskillz said:

Had MS and R* made the series exclusive, it would have propelled the Xbox past the PS2.

Not a chance.

The PS2 dominated because it had a strong brand name, huge third party support, and dozens of quality franchises. It also had a years lead on the market. It would be foolish to assume the PS2 was only a success because of one game series.

kind of like how it is foolish to assume the ps3 will be a hit because of one or two franchises? I kid, I kid.

libellule said:
"""I will find the reference, but Rockstar had originally approached MS back in the day with an offer to make GTA III and on Xbox exclusive. MS didn't want the image, so they passed. And R* was going to do it for free! So, they went to Sony, they said yes and paid to keep it exclusive for years. That's killed the Xbox right there."""

==> hum, R* wanted to make games for free ?
are they crazy ?
and If microsoft rejected them, now R* should hate MS or something like this ?

""""Had MS and R* made the series exclusive, it would have propelled the Xbox past the PS2.""""

==> lol
you make me lol when you bring everything about GTA3 and the Xbox
The Xbox console was dead the day 1 : no Japan support, no PAL support.
The PS2 killed everything since the day1 :
1/ brand name
2/ DVD
3/ marketing : "emotion engine"
4/ good exclusive like FF or GT
Sure GTA3 exclusive to Xbox would have helped, sure, but Xbox would not have passed the PS2 sales.

""""I'll find the reference. """"

==> THX.

No, R* was going to give exclusive rights to MS for free before they got rebuffed. I'm at work, so I can't find it right now.

As far as propelling the Xbox, Japan would have been nice, but the U.S. hardware numbers would be a lot better for the Xbox. The PS2 would have had to wait for GTA and overseas, GTA would have helped Xbox sales.

You don't have to believe me - I doubt you do - but just wait until GTA is released. You will be amazed at the sales. 

Around the Network
jhlennon1 said:
Sony don't want a company like Rockstar. Rockstar and Sony as companies would see eye to eye on nothing and Sony head management would get really pissed off with the constant lawsuits.

I disagree. I think Sony and Rockstar would see eye to eye. They're already quite freindly with each other, (Sony securing exclsuives from them) and have been in the past. Sony really made Rockstar what they are today.

Also Sony never shirks away from pushing boundaries, and causing controversy, (God of War Party, Jesus PS2 ads etc.).

I'd think they'd feel quite at home together :)

However I don't think Sony would purchase Rockstar. They already have exclusive contracts from them, and wouldn't stand to gain enough for the asking price. 

I don`t believe neither MS or Sony will buy Rockstar. In my point of view, it`s throwing away money.
A good purchase, to me, would be buying a company like Rare (back in the N64 days) where they had million sellers.

That`s a worth purchase.

Délio said:
I don`t believe neither MS or Sony will buy Rockstar. In my point of view, it`s throwing away money.
A good purchase, to me, would be buying a company like Rare (back in the N64 days) where they had million sellers.

That`s a worth purchase.

microsoft own rare already

"""
As far as propelling the Xbox, Japan would have been nice, but the U.S. hardware numbers would be a lot better for the Xbox. The PS2 would have had to wait for GTA and overseas, GTA would have helped Xbox sales.

You don't have to believe me - I doubt you do - but just wait until GTA is released. You will be amazed at the sales.
"""

==> hum, if you are talking about the US
then yes, the Xbox would have done better with GTA3 exclusivity.

And I agree the sales of GTA4 will be huge.
I remember having stated that the delay of GTA4 for 2008 was the news of the years for the gaming industry.

But, about the past gen, the Xbox succeed to get pretty good sales in US
The problem was more about PAL and Japan that didn't buy a lot of Xbox.
At the opposite, the PAL bought A LOT OF PS2.

Time to Work !

i love xbox 360 said:
Délio said:

That`s a worth purchase.

microsoft own rare already

I know.

I was just using Rare as an example of a good purchase.