By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar could split from Take Two - Possible MS/Sony alliance?

Well SURFER GIRL has now a rumor up that says acoording to a CONTRACT between R* & SONY

GTA V is EXCLUSIVE to PS3

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
Well SURFER GIRL has now a rumor up that says acoording to a CONTRACT between R* & SONY

well lets wait and this is this 'rumor' is true or not, personaly i dont think r* would sign a agreement with sony about gta v untill the ps3 starts to sell better in the usa, because if the 360 has sold 20 million in the usa and ps3 only 10 mil there not gonna give it to ps3

darthdevidem said:

I say she is full of shit. GTA exclusives are very expensive. That would cost more then MGS4 and FFXIII combined.

@jhlennon, I love 360

yesh even I think she's a foolish attention seeker

but ye know, just saying to add some more info on this topic....

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

libellule said:
"""
As far as propelling the Xbox, Japan would have been nice, but the U.S. hardware numbers would be a lot better for the Xbox. The PS2 would have had to wait for GTA and overseas, GTA would have helped Xbox sales.

You don't have to believe me - I doubt you do - but just wait until GTA is released. You will be amazed at the sales.
"""

==> hum, if you are talking about the US
then yes, the Xbox would have done better with GTA3 exclusivity.

And I agree the sales of GTA4 will be huge.
I remember having stated that the delay of GTA4 for 2008 was the news of the years for the gaming industry.

But, about the past gen, the Xbox succeed to get pretty good sales in US
The problem was more about PAL and Japan that didn't buy a lot of Xbox.
At the opposite, the PAL bought A LOT OF PS2.

Found it ... here's the link: http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=54089

According to Dean Takahashi's new book The Xbox 360 Uncloaked, Microsoft once had a chance to make Grand Theft Auto an exclusive Xbox series...except for the fact that they turned Rockstar down.

Ever wonder why Sony was able to get such broad, sweeping exclusivity for the Grand Theft Auto titles? The answer is because Rockstar Games offered Microsoft an Xbox exclusivity deal first, and Microsoft turned them down.

Not such a smart move, it turns out, as Grand Theft Auto 3 went on to become a PlayStation 2 exclusive and make Sony hundreds of millions of dollars.

These and other top-secret revelations help make San Jose Mercury reporter Dean Takahashi's new book, The Xbox 360 Uncloaked, an excellent read for gaming fans.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:

madskillz said:

Had MS and R* made the series exclusive, it would have propelled the Xbox past the PS2.

Not a chance.

The PS2 dominated because it had a strong brand name, huge third party support, and dozens of quality franchises. It also had a years lead on the market. It would be foolish to assume the PS2 was only a success because of one game series.

Beg to differ? Check out these numbers for just the PS2 version - released much, much earlier:

3.06 million - Liberty City Stories

11.60 million - GTAIII

14.20 million - Vice City

14.88 million - San Andreas

The series has sold nearly 44 million copies on the PS2 alone. On the Xbox? Barely 4 million.

When the PS2 locked in GTA exclusivity, that killed the Xbox. It was playing catch up after that. The only way to play GTA was on the PS2 for a long time. That is what moved systems. And, of course, folks bought games because they had the system already. GTA made the PS2 - without it, it's would have been a very, very close race, brand name and all.

If you remove the GTA numbers, you have GT3 and GT4, a Final Fantasy episode and Need for Speed holding the top 5 spots.

That is why MS paid $50M for the exclusive content - the series sells, whether folks hate it or not. It's money - the bottom line. 

Madskillz, I assume you are talking US only?

Because FFX and DQVIII killed MS/Nintendo in Japan and GT3 killed them both in Europe.

@MrPickles: I was under the impression that Rockstar only had GTA as a million-seller. I didn`t know abou Midnight Club.

Still, Rare had more titles capable of reaching the million units, than Rockstar has. And i think that says a lot about a company.

I seriously doubt that either company will buy R*.

1. It will cost way too much and will not recoup that amount of money ever. Rare was bought by Microsoft for an insane amount of money, and did little after. I guarantee this would be the biggest buyout in gaming history (and one of the biggest in recent times)

2. NO one wants to deal with the baggage that R* brings. Remember the Hot Coffee scandal and how it almost bankrupted Take Two? Remember all the slack Take Two ALWAYS gets from R* franchises? I wouldnt want this associated with my company. Sony and R* have good relations because they dont have to deal with the scandals that are created from R*. This alone would cost Sony PR. For all the soccer mom's that will associate Sony with Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt will not buy PS3's. The "hardcores" might be impressed but they are a minority.

There is no guarantee that it would all be worth it anyway. Rare has done almost nothing since being acquired, and all their talent left. Would the same thing happen to R*? You never know. Would you risk it? Cause if it backfires it could be the end of your gaming division as you know it.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

nice find madskillz ...

Time to Work !