By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar could split from Take Two - Possible MS/Sony alliance?

Rockstar would be the WORST thing for any corporate entity to absorb. These people actually think they are rockstars and behave as such. I would laugh so hard if Sony or MS acquired Rockstar because you would see the ultimate clash of cultures.

Around the Network

I don't know it only makes sense if one of them expects to crush the competition. Single-platform games simply make no sense economically when 360 and PS3 are so evenly powered and both have comparable marketshare.
The buyer would in the end have to compensate the company for the lost userbase.

I think Activision should pick up Rockstar. It would hurt EA big time and they could still put their games on all three consoles without losing a fanbase.

I'll take the case!!!

u crazy ?

activision it simply to big NOW

R* have to stay independant ...

Time to Work !

if sony tries too pull that of, i don't think shareholder are gonna like that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
libellule said:
""" And when MS ignored R*'s request to make GTA exclusive on the original Xbox"""

==> seriously ?

but why did R* want to make their game exclusive to Xbox ?
the sales were good in NA, but were nothing in PAL.
The multiplateform PS2/Xbox was great for R* ...

I will find the reference, but Rockstar had originally approached MS back in the day with an offer to make GTA III and on Xbox exclusive. MS didn't want the image, so they passed. And R* was going to do it for free! So, they went to Sony, they said yes and paid to keep it exclusive for years. That's killed the Xbox right there.

Had MS and R* made the series exclusive, it would have propelled the Xbox past the PS2.

I'll find the reference. 

"""I will find the reference, but Rockstar had originally approached MS back in the day with an offer to make GTA III and on Xbox exclusive. MS didn't want the image, so they passed. And R* was going to do it for free! So, they went to Sony, they said yes and paid to keep it exclusive for years. That's killed the Xbox right there."""

==> hum, R* wanted to make games for free ?
are they crazy ?
and If microsoft rejected them, now R* should hate MS or something like this ?

""""Had MS and R* made the series exclusive, it would have propelled the Xbox past the PS2.""""

==> lol
you make me lol when you bring everything about GTA3 and the Xbox
The Xbox console was dead the day 1 : no Japan support, no PAL support.
The PS2 killed everything since the day1 :
1/ brand name
2/ DVD
3/ marketing : "emotion engine"
4/ good exclusive like FF or GT
Sure GTA3 exclusive to Xbox would have helped, sure, but Xbox would not have passed the PS2 sales.

""""I'll find the reference. """"

==> THX.

Time to Work !

Sony is already the Yankees of the developer world, their overhead for all their studios is huge, and lately they haven't really paid off, MS had just let developers off, so they are more ripe for purchasing another developer, yet, canceling titles for one system will definitely overall mean less sales, so in a way they'd be more valuable to a 3rd party, so it's possible that EA or Activision/Blizzard could swipe them.

Can you imagine if Nintendo swept in? Obviously I don't see that happening as they really wouldn't benefit them as much as the others.

Ok let's put reality out in front of everyone for a second.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft will ever buy Rockstar!

Why?!?

Neither of them will want the controversy that goes with the brand. They will gladly allow the games on their system but they will never support Rockstar in the way you all want due to the fact that it would effect their other business's. Rockstar would literally have to have it's balls removed before a big player could buy it. It's not gonna happen! EA may roll the dice but given their recent losses they'll probably realize it's not worth the trouble.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Sony don't want a company like Rockstar. Rockstar and Sony as companies would see eye to eye on nothing and Sony head management would get really pissed off with the constant lawsuits. They have enough lawsuits (different reasons, but lawsuit is a lawsuit) of their own without incurring Rockstars as well.

And if EA/Activision bought out Rockstar, say goodbye to GTA as we know it because neither company would go through the controversy that always surrounds Rockstar and the talent within Rockstar would quit when the they were put on a leash to prevent lawsuits.

You see, Rockstar within Take-Two have a lot of freedom and they won't get anywhere near that freedom from MS, Sony, EA, Activision or any other big company.