By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar could split from Take Two - Possible MS/Sony alliance?

I just can't see MS outright purchasing R*. They rarely buy developers, instead buying exclusivity contracts, like publishing NG2, PGR, and paying R* $50 mil. for exclusive content.

Around the Network
Délio said:
I don`t believe neither MS or Sony will buy Rockstar. In my point of view, it`s throwing away money.
A good purchase, to me, would be buying a company like Rare (back in the N64 days) where they had million sellers.

That`s a worth purchase.

So, what you are saying is that Rockstar does not make million-sellers?  Ok...

Anyway, it's definitely true that if any of the big 3 bought MS, it would be a gigantic gain for them.  However, each would also have their own reasons NOT to do it:

-Sony, while they would love to keep GTA from appearing on a competitor's console, would put themselves even farther into the hole with the asking price.

-MS could easily afford Rockstar if they can pay 50 million for exclusive content, and it would be great for their image in gamers' minds (see my definition of 'casual 1-gamer' in my Console Sales in General thread), but they would have to come up with some kind of solution for DVD's size-issues if they want bigger games.

-Nintendo would instantly destroy their 'reputation' as the kiddy company.  Their respect rating with the hardcore would go up 1000000000 points.  However, it works both ways--it would be heavily publicized that the one game company generally deemed to be 'safe' for the kids just snapped up the 'responsible-for-every-bad-thing-that-happens-in-the-world' company.  They'd have 650 Jack Thompson cases within 6 months, guaranteed.

IF they did end up splitting from Take-Two, I think they would stay independent, unless they were approached by Acti-Blizz-ion (a way better name btw XD )

am i the only who thinks Rockstar is overrated?

Ari_Gold said:

Yes, R* are by far the best devs around.

I don't think R* would go to just MS,  Dan Houser the VP of R* already has problems with the DVD9 and the lack of an HDD in each 360.  He said this about 4-6 months ago.

Square enix is the best devs ever.

Rockstar comes 3rd behing nintendo.

Then comes sony.

mM
Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:

No, you're not.  They have very little diversity in their game portfolio IMO and strike me as a One-Trick-Pony developer.

yes, I dont care of GTA too

but Core gamer (between casual and hardcore) just LOVE GTA

(for me : typically the male guy 15-30 years old that like to play MATURE games and racing/soccer/footbal game with his friend but dont follow the gaming news and dont play on PC)

And leo-j, where is KONAMI ???

Time to Work !

i think is sony tryed to buy R* then microsoft will step in and offer a massive take over offer just to stop sony having R*

@I love xbox

I agree. But you cant just buy a company, also there is something called a contract(*roumered* to have been made between sony and rockstar ) microsoft cant break it even if they have a billion dollars to waste.

mM
leo-j said:
@I love xbox

I agree. But you cant just buy a company, also there is something called a contract(*roumered* to have been made between sony and rockstar ) microsoft cant break it even if they have a billion dollars to waste.

these contracts can be broken just as easily as they are made so this 'rumored' contract can be easily broke