By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite platformer?

This gen. goes to Shadow Complex, I had a blast completing it 100%.

All time goes to Super Mario World.  Me and my brother used to see who could beat the game 100% the fastest.

Around the Network

I've got to give it to Mario, Super Mario 64 was one of my favorite games to play growing up.

I grew up on Genesis so the Sonic series, but Mario 3 is the best Mario game period. Unless we're counting Yoshi's Island as a main part of the series.  R&C has to be the best 3D platformers i've played. Sunshine sullied Marios name a little. and just for the hell of it im going throw in Gex enter the gecko cause that crap was out there

Any of the Mario platformers.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

2D: Sonic 3 & Knuckles tied with Sonic CD. 2:nd place: Super Mario World tied with JazzJackRabbit 2

3D: Super Mario 64

Current gen: New Super Mario Bros Wii

Honorary mentions: Gex, Sonic 1, 2, X-treme (WHYYYY????? IT WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THE ADVENTURE FIASCOS FROM EVER HAPPENING!!!!!!! T_T), NES Marios.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
oniyide said:

I grew up on Genesis so the Sonic series, but Mario 3 is the best Mario game period. Unless we're counting Yoshi's Island as a main part of the series.  R&C has to be the best 3D platformers i've played. Sunshine sullied Marios name a little. and just for the hell of it im going throw in Gex enter the gecko cause that crap was out there

Finally someone else remembers Gex ^_^

I LOVE ICELAND!

Jak 3... sadly I've only played 2 and 3. Have yet to play 1. Hoping for a collection.

I don't like platformers, but I'll pick Sonic 2.

any mario platformer

Crash - all three games are great especially the third and their amazing cart spin off

Jak and Daxter-  I enjoyed the 2 and 3rd entries more than the first because the shooting and racing added even more variety to an experience that already had plenty.

LBP - Awesome  game.  I thought even the singleplayer was awesome but having 3 or 4 friends in the room to play with made it even more awesome. I still pop it in occasionally to see what strange things people have made.  Playing user levels with friends is amazing.

Locco Rocco-  It's gorgeous and it's tunes put an instant smile on my face. I love whimsically bouncing around and trying to find all the secrets.  

Tomba - Some of the best and most overlooked platforming on the original playstation.  Anyone who calls themselves a platform fan owe it to themselves to track it down and give it a try.  

Megaman/X -  If pure awesome were to have a child it would be this series of games.  Tough  platforming and twitch action.  

Castlevania - only the newer styled SOTN Metroidvania ones but they are so awesome. Mazelike gameplay with rich art direction abounds.   Music especially in SoTN.

Metroid-  Great music great exploration and sense of lonliness

Uncharted -  I play through the shooting sections to climb around and explore the next tombs.  I wish they would focus on that part of the gameplay only or at least more.

Ico/Shadow of the colossus -  I can't cite games more different from anything else I've ever played.  Unique and wonderful.  I feel almost ashamed to simply call them platformers.

Quick Shout outs

Mario
Super Mario
Banjo Kazooie 
Gex
Ninja Gaiden
Sonic