By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does Sony fail at making another mega franchise?

VXIII said:
Michael-5 said:

On the PS3, Metal Gear Solid, and God of War are borderline mega-franchises. On the PS2 and PS1 MGS sold over 5.5 million copies, thats a lot, just a touch below Gears of War, which is definatly a mega franchise. After actually looking up God of War sales, I'll take back them being a mega franchise, 3.73 for God of War 1 is not enough to be mega in my opinion.

It definatly is not the lack of innovation, but a lot of the bigger PS3 eclusives don't really seem to offer much. I mean what does Killzone do that Halo or Call of Duty don't do better? What make the Chimera more interesting over the Covanent or Locust? Killzone, and Resistance are interesting games, but offer no real solid reason to switch from a bigger franchise.

Uncharted 2 is exempt from this, but it's sales are moderatly strong, especially considering since Uncharted 1 wasn't that special (BTW, I own and beat it).

I'll tell you, one of the big reasons I still play Halo 3 is to see a Grunts head explode with colouful paper, and hear Horray!

However, I'll agree with you about sony not focusing on any key franchises, thats why none of their big games (except Gran Turismo) ever see huge marketing.

I could say that I agree especially with Uncharted1 wasn't really special XD

And about FPSs you mentioned , I can't really answer because I've never played any fps game before.

Not even Goldeneye? To be honest, I only really like FPS because of co-op, and because there are quite a few good ones this gen. I mean for RPG's, this generation there is only a handful, which sucks.. (RPG's are my favorite genre)

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Ping_ii said:
Michael-5 said:
VXIII said:

I agree with RolStoppable. In the past Sony has really made some genre defining, or redefining games, but this generation not so much.

VXIII I agree with you on God of War, that game redefined the genre, but not mainly with it's gameplay, with it terific plot, gory battles (I mean ripping a head off!?!), and topless sex depicting cut scenes. Then again, this is one of PS3's best selling games, already selling 3 million units. Thats more then any Action game I know.

Metal Gear Solid is also genre defining, but thats the best selling PS3 exclusive, and has been among the best selling exclusives on a Sony console since the franchise started.

Twisted Metal also used to be big on the PS1 era, I'm a big fan of the franchise, but Sony butchered the series when they released "Small Brawl", and as a PS2 game, Twisted Metal Black didn't offer much (outside of the amazing cinematics). The PS3 version looks very cheap as well, why does an entire building fall when you shoot the corner? The physics and gameplay engine are simply too dated, and Sony hasn't really put enough $$$ into Twisted Metal since the PS1 titles.

As for ICO, Shadow of the Colosus, and Heavy Rain those are fairly niche games. Why didn't Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake or better yet Baten Kaitos sell well? Amazing games, just poorly marketed, and they appeal to a smaller audience.

MAG was a concept, it was a game designed to show people that you can have smooth 256 player multiplayer on the PS3. What does that prove? More oponents doesn't mean better multiplayer, Gears of War 1 got away with 4 vs 4, and Halo 3 was limited to 32 players (I haven't played in a while, is this right?)? MAG didn't redefine anything.

Modern Warfare really defined realistic shooters, and by realistic I mean your not fighting Aliens, or a planet that doesn't exist. By real I mean your fighting using guns which simulate real guns, in environments which simulate real places, and battles which simulate potential wars (it's a game some fiction must be used). Modern Warfare 2 took off because many gamers missed Modern Warfare 1, or simply wanted more.

Basically, you can't blaime just marketing, there are other factors involved. Killzone is an awesome game, and it pushed the bar graphically on what the PS3 can do, but it doesn't look that much better then Gears of War 2, and the Plot is not that different from older FPS games, it's not that different from Halo. Gears of War was the first amazing third person shooter. Yes there was Kill Switch beforehand, but that was a glitchy game with a mediocre story. Halo was epic in 2001, and in 2004 it defined online console gaming.

As for LittleBigPlanet, yes it came out before New Super Mario Bros Wii, but Super Mario Bros is a 20 year old franchise, that defined platforming, and a new game after what about 20 years? THATS EPIC! I know people who don't play games who wanted a Wii for this thing because of nostalgia.

Sony makes some great games on the PS3, there is no doubt about that. However, I already forgot the Plot to Resistance 1, yet I still remember what happened in Halo 1, and going back further I still remember all the environments and level layouts to Donkey Kong Country. I cannot say that about Sonic, which was also a great game.

You think that both GoW and MGS are genre defining but as you can see they're not mega franchises like Halo or Gears , it's more like you disagree with him XD .

we can't just blame lack of innovation in Sony games ( which is not true, and you seem to agree with me about some games) as he suggests either .

I think Sony is happy with it , they seem that they don't want to focus on single franchise to make it mainstream therefore they don't launch huge marketing campaigns, building a mega library is all that matters,  but I don't know for sure just like everybody else in this thread.

On the PS3, Metal Gear Solid, and God of War are borderline mega-franchises. On the PS2 and PS1 MGS sold over 5.5 million copies, thats a lot, just a touch below Gears of War, which is definatly a mega franchise. After actually looking up God of War sales, I'll take back them being a mega franchise, 3.73 for God of War 1 is not enough to be mega in my opinion.

It definatly is not the lack of innovation, but a lot of the bigger PS3 eclusives don't really seem to offer much. I mean what does Killzone do that Halo or Call of Duty don't do better? What make the Chimera more interesting over the Covanent or Locust? Killzone, and Resistance are interesting games, but offer no real solid reason to switch from a bigger franchise.

Uncharted 2 is exempt from this, but it's sales are moderatly strong, especially considering since Uncharted 1 wasn't that special (BTW, I own and beat it).

I'll tell you, one of the big reasons I still play Halo 3 is to see a Grunts head explode with colouful paper, and hear Horray!

However, I'll agree with you about sony not focusing on any key franchises, thats why none of their big games (except Gran Turismo) ever see huge marketing.

Gear IS NOT owned by Microsoft.

http://spong.com/article/20904/Epic-Gears-of-War-Not-Owned-By-Microsoft

I already said it way earlier in this thread, Besides HALO what other MS IP sells truck loads?

Fable 3m plus

Forza 4m

Crackdown 1.5m

Lost odessy 800k

LBP 3m

Uncharted 3m

Infamous 1.6m

god of war 3m

Demon souls 700k

Besides GT5 and Halo both MS and Sony IP's sells the same ammount the only difference is SONY pumps out more IP's.

Agreed 100%, and I know Gears isn't MS, but I compared it to MGS which isn't Sony. Both not MS or Sony, but I consider them mega if they break 5 million.

Also for your last statement, I agree 100%, but I also want to add that MS produces more sequels to their games, so the number of exclusives is also about the same. I mean currently there is only 1 Killzone on the PS3, and 2 Uncharteds. There are 2 Halo games, and Halo Wars. 1 Gran Turismo, 2 Forzas, etc.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:
Squilliam said:

Mega Franchises:

Sony 3 generations:

• Gran Turismo
  • God of War
  • LittleBigPlanet

Microsoft 2 generations:

• Halo
  • Gears
  • Fable
  • Forza Motorsport

Nintendo 5 generations plus Arcade titles.

• Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Duck Hunt
  • Zelda
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Party
  • Wii Sports franchises
  • Wii Fit (I would clasify all Wii --- games as one franchise)
  • Probably another one or two that I missed.
  • Smash Bros.
  • Brain Age
  • Nintendogs
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario & Sonic franchise (kind of)
  • Pokemon (kind of)

Anyway Nintendos rate of massive franchise generation is simply higher. Probably this is due to the one man Miyamoto who had a significant hand in many of these games. Its not that Sony sucks, its just that one person is probably worth as much as all their studios combined. Luckily for Sony Miyamoto will retire eventually.

Filled in the blanks

God of War, LBP, Fable and Forza are NOT megafranchises.  Animal Crossing isn't either. Smash is fine, maybe Mario and Sonic, like you say.  For the others, I think the thread is leaning toward consoles, not handhelds. 

Animal Crossing: Wild World for DS has outsold Halo 3, if thats not a mega franchise, then nothing on the 360 or PS3 is.

The rest is debatable, as mega-franchise is not a word. God of War for PS2 broke 5 million sales, Forza 2 and 3 appear to get about 4 million sales on the 360, so does Fable. LBP is probably the smallest of the bunch, I guess it isn't mega, but to me the rest are.

That's fine, but the focus here seems to be on consoles for the most part.  I don't think Animal Crossing has ever produced those results on a console (much like Pokemon), so there's that.  Well in the beginning, people were using 10 million as the marker.  And any impact on hardware sales are perhaps a good factor.  They're top tier, but it sounds like people are talking about the freakish games.

NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:
NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:
Squilliam said:

Mega Franchises:

Sony 3 generations:

• Gran Turismo
  • God of War
  • LittleBigPlanet

Microsoft 2 generations:

• Halo
  • Gears
  • Fable
  • Forza Motorsport

• Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Duck Hunt
  • Zelda
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Party
  • Wii Sports franchises
  • Smash Bros.
  • Brain Age
  • Nintendogs
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pokemon (kind of)

Anyway Nintendos rate of massive franchise generation is simply higher. Probably this is due to the one man Miyamoto who had a significant hand in many of these games. Its not that Sony sucks, its just that one person is probably worth as much as all their studios combined. Luckily for Sony Miyamoto will retire eventually.

Filled in the blanks

God of War, LBP, Fable and Forza are NOT megafranchises.  Animal Crossing isn't either. Smash is fine, maybe Mario and Sonic, like you say.  For the others, I think the thread is leaning toward consoles, not handhelds. 

Animal Crossing: Wild World for DS has outsold Halo 3, if thats not a mega franchise, then nothing on the 360 or PS3 is.

The rest is debatable, as mega-franchise is not a word. God of War for PS2 broke 5 million sales, Forza 2 and 3 appear to get about 4 million sales on the 360, so does Fable. LBP is probably the smallest of the bunch, I guess it isn't mega, but to me the rest are.

That's fine, but the focus here seems to be on consoles for the most part.  I don't think Animal Crossing has ever produced those results on a console (much like Pokemon), so there's that.  Well in the beginning, people were using 10 million as the marker.  And any impact on hardware sales are perhaps a good factor.  They're top tier, but it sounds like people are talking about the freakish games.

Okay fine then Animal Crossing is out for consoles, but as a franchise it's still mega.

Also I looked into it and God of War 1 only sold 3.73 million, so I retract it being a mega franchise.

So actually I change my opinion, AC is mega on handhelds, and games like Forza, God of War, Fable, LBP, Metroid, Kirby, and Star Fox are "super" franchises. I think 5 million is the cut off for mega, and he cut off for super should be 3 million, but with exceptions (like Metroid).

10 million should be a cut off for "freakish." However this is getting too technical as Super, Mega, or Freakish franchises are not technical terms.

RolStoppable said:
evolution_1ne said:

question Rol, do you think Wii fit, wii sports, and nintendogs, are better quality games than uncharted, little big planet, and infamous?

That's hard, if not impossible to say because those are six games in six different genres.

It also depends whether you're talking about quality as in "games I want to play in order of how much I like them" or quality as in "How well made each game is regardless of my desire to play them". Someone taking the former position will almost never find accord with someone taking the latter position because they are coming from completely different perspectives.

Tease.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:
NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:
Squilliam said:

Mega Franchises:

Sony 3 generations:

• Gran Turismo
  • God of War
  • LittleBigPlanet

Microsoft 2 generations:

• Halo
  • Gears
  • Fable
  • Forza Motorsport

• Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Duck Hunt
  • Zelda
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Party
  • Wii Sports franchises
  • Smash Bros.
  • Brain Age
  • Nintendogs
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pokemon (kind of)

Filled in the blanks

Okay fine then Animal Crossing is out for consoles, but as a franchise it's still mega.

Also I looked into it and God of War 1 only sold 3.73 million, so I retract it being a mega franchise.

So actually I change my opinion, AC is mega on handhelds, and games like Forza, God of War, Fable, LBP, Metroid, Kirby, and Star Fox are "super" franchises. I think 5 million is the cut off for mega, and he cut off for super should be 3 million, but with exceptions (like Metroid).

10 million should be a cut off for "freakish." However this is getting too technical as Super, Mega, or Freakish franchises are not technical terms.

Haha that's fine for me because I think most of this thread is pretty rubbish lol.  And why should Metroid be exempted? I know it's a big NAME franchise, but that doesn't change the dollar amounts.  It's not huge. For instance, Uncharted and Gears (which doesn't count, but for example) would qualify as super I think right? They're clearly not on the same level as Halo or GT5.  They are probably moderate system sellers. MGS5, now that was another story as it only sold 5 million, but it seemed to give a massive hardware boost. 

But yes, too technical. Ugh.

Lol, can we just say 10 million plus sales are Miyamoto 85% of the time.  Everyone has a mega game.  Let Ninty be happy for Shigeru's existence, and let Sony continue to make amazingly awesome games while lamenting his existence, until he retires? I'm a Sony fan and this is fine with me, I'm satsified with my games.  :)

RolStoppable said:
zgamer5 said:

gears of war copied killswitch, so all those games which copied gears of war actually copied kill switch hence it did "redefine" the genra by your definition. and yes kill switch did have many of the elements of gears, blind fire, a cover system.....

halo copied games, hence those games are the ones which redifined the genra, again, copieng a agame that isnt original doesnt mean that that game redifined the genra.

many games copied god of war, but god of war didnt redifine the genra. 

again, you contradict yourself, if something is unique then it is redefining (well it has to do with how important those elements are and a weight system is), just because nothing copied killzone doesnt mean that it isnt redefining. again the sony franchises are fine, and they could be mega franchises. but they dont appeal to the mainstream gamers, alan wake has the elements to become a mega franchise, castlevania has them, mass effect has them, infamous has them, killzone has them, but theyr not mega franchises, that still doesnt dispute the fact that they have the elements to become a mega franchise, and that they are as good as mega franchises.

also again gears, halo didnt redfinine their respective genras, same with cod, but they are mega franchises, mainly because they appeal to the mainstream.

lol lbp sold more then 3.6 and its selling about 10k or more every week, it should surpass 4 million.

again quality doesnt equal to sales. mcdonalds isnt the best restaurant in the war, also wii sold the more, that doesnt mean that its the best console(tech wise). uncharted 2, demon souls, batman arkham asylum, won many game of the year awards last year(demon souls won one, i think) but did they sell the most? they didnt. 

you do know what diverse means? a little bit of that here and their, the ps3 user base is about 37 million, if lbp reached 5 million that would mean that 13.5 of its userbase like platformers. lets say the ps3's userbase has 5 million people who love platformers, are all of them going to love lbp? no cod, halo are mege franchises but many peopel dislike the games.

the sales potential of 2d platformers arent huge on the ps3, other then lbp i dont know a game that passed a million(maybe sonic unleashed). this isnt the wii, the wii is all platformers and wii... something with the exception of zelda and other big nintendo franchises. thats why mario with huge help from its brand power gets such great sales.

about the 2 million levels in lbp, many gamers like myself dont build, we play! also the 2 million are without counting the thousands of crappy levels. also lbp sales are 3.6. if it didnt have the create aspect it would have gotten less then 2 million sales.

if you want to continue this debate pm me, i dont want to keep this thread alive.

If people talk about the cover mechanics in games like Uncharted, Quantum Theory or Vanquish, what do they say? "It's similar to Gears of War." Nobody cares for kill.switch, probably because it wasn't well executed. Not well executed = not amazing. Which game defined the 3D platformer genre? Super Mario 64 or Jumpin' Flash!? The former did even though the latter title was released first. Super Mario 64 was amazing while Jumpin' Flash! was forgettable.

Those games that came first, but didn't end up influencing a plethora of other games made gamers say: "New idea, yes. But needs a lot more work to be fun." Hence why nobody (gamers, journalists, developers) says about Vanquish that it is like kill.switch, instead everyone refers to it as a GeoW on speed or something like that.

Something that is unique is not necessarily defining or redefining its genre. Fire Emblem features permanent death of defeated characters, but how many other SRPGs do that as well? Nearly none. That means perma-death is a unique element of FE, but not genre-defining. Just like Killzone's weight system is only unique, but not defining. There is no contradiction here from my side, only a lack of comprehension on your part.

Quality doesn't equal to sales? I agree and if you read through my posts in this thread you'll see that I never said otherwise. Your Wii example is quite silly, because I've never heard anyone saying that high sales equal best technology. I doubt you did, but really, it doesn't matter.

I very well know what diverse means. In theory, a diverse userbase would allow games of many different types to become huge hits, right? So shouldn't a 2D platformer, one of the most popular genres in gaming's existence, be able to hit five million even on the PS3? In reality, the PS3's userbase isn't that much more diverse than the 360's. The top of the million sellers lists look quite similar when it comes to the genres that sell really well. And by the way, Sonic Unleashed isn't even a 2D platformer.

Me being wrong about LBP's sales didn't hurt my argument. The game selling better than I assumed only strengthens my point that most gamers aren't interested in building their own levels, hence why LBP's new thing (the extensive level editor) had little impact on the market.

If you don't want to keep this thread alive, then refrain from posting in it.

yes but gears of war copied killswitch! hence by subsituation the titles which are copieng it are actually copieng killswitch. the only reason killswitch is forgetable is because it sold less then gears, ofcourse gears was executed better, but since its no 100% original its not redifining the genra. about mario and jumpin flash, i have no idea what jumpin flash is so i cant comment on that.

killswitch was fun, the games which copied halo were fun, but they werent popular. again sales doesnt equal to quality. gears copied other games, so killswitch did get copied, but people dont talk about it because 99% of gamers dont even know what that game is.

like i said in my previous postthe element must be on a certain scale to redifine the genra, and a weight system does that. why because it has to do directly with the fundementals of the a fps games: the controls, the psychics and the gameplay. you cant turn past a 180 degree turn, you feel the weight of the gun, and it changes the strategy in the game, that is redifining the realism of fps games.

i know its silly, i took the example from the top of my head. 

lbp should be able to hit 5 million units, if their were only a couple of genras, like i it selling 5 million would mean that the userbase 14% or more, platformer lovers, but their are always haters, hence its not going to sell like that. i know that the userbase is close to the one of the 360, but titles like lbp and heavy rain woudnt have performed as well if they were on the 360, a console which is mainly shooter oriented. by looking at titles such as mw2 about 25% of the ps3 userbase love shooters, if you look at gta4 you see that 18% of the ps3 userbase like sandbox games, if you look at lbp you see that 10% of ps3 owners like 2d platformers, if you look at gow3 you see that 8 % of its userbsae like hack n slash games, looking at gt5:P 14 % of its userbase like racing games. i can go on and on, but the point is this isnt the wii, its not platformer and wii ....... love. 

also with a 37 million userbase and lots of genras not every big hit will reach 5 million, lbp is reaching 4 million and thats great considering half of the ps3 userbase consider it a kid game.

again like i said before if it wasnt for the level builder of lbp the game woudnt have the sales it has now, the level editor has an impact on the market, look at modnation racers not even 500k sales and it has more then  a million user created content.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:

Haha that's fine for me because I think most of this thread is pretty rubbish lol.  And why should Metroid be exempted? I know it's a big NAME franchise, but that doesn't change the dollar amounts.  It's not huge. For instance, Uncharted and Gears (which doesn't count, but for example) would qualify as super I think right? They're clearly not on the same level as Halo or GT5.  They are probably moderate system sellers. MGS5, now that was another story as it only sold 5 million, but it seemed to give a massive hardware boost. 

But yes, too technical. Ugh.

Lol, can we just say 10 million plus sales are Miyamoto 85% of the time.  Everyone has a mega game.  Let Ninty be happy for Shigeru's existence, and let Sony continue to make amazingly awesome games while lamenting his existence, until he retires? I'm a Sony fan and this is fine with me, I'm satsified with my games.  :)

Okay fine, Metroid isn't super, but it's an awesome franchise, and has the potential to go super with the semi-casual Other M.

And what do mean Gears is not on the same level as Halo or GT5? Gears games sell 6 million a peice. I guess it really depends on the cut-off, and if it's 10 million, then no Gears isn't the same as Halo. as for Uncharted 2, it sold about 3.5 million, so with my silly cut off, Halo and GT5 are freakish, Gears is mega, and Uncharted is super, but all are great.

As for MGS, MGS 1 and 2 sold about 5.5 million, and MGS4 came bundled with the last backward compatible PS3 model. Hence the hardware boost.

As for your last statment, I can't 100% agree. Before the Wii, almost no Nintendo console games broke 10 million. Not one Gamecube game, and only Super Mario 64 on the N64 did this (with Mario Kart just missing the cut-off).

I will admit that Miyamoto has made some of the most amazing games ever, and has continually redefined the market. From literally saving the video game market in 1985, to making the most established names in the buisness. I just wish I had a Wii (I said I would wait for a backward compatible successor and I stand by it, $200 is too much to pay for a console with about 10 titles I'm interested in, especially since those games are still near full price)

zgamer5 said:
RolStoppable said:
zgamer5 said:

gears of war copied killswitch, so all those games which copied gears of war actually copied kill switch hence it did "redefine" the genra by your definition. and yes kill switch did have many of the elements of gears, blind fire, a cover system.....

halo copied games, hence those games are the ones which redifined the genra, again, copieng a agame that isnt original doesnt mean that that game redifined the genra.

again, you contradict yourself, if something is unique then it is redefining (well it has to do with how important those elements are and a weight system is), just because nothing copied killzone doesnt mean that it isnt redefining. again the sony franchises are fine, and they could be mega franchises. but they dont appeal to the mainstream gamers, alan wake has the elements to become a mega franchise, castlevania has them, mass effect has them, infamous has them, killzone has them, but theyr not mega franchises, that still doesnt dispute the fact that they have the elements to become a mega franchise, and that they are as good as mega franchises.

also again gears, halo didnt redfinine their respective genras, same with cod, but they are mega franchises, mainly because they appeal to the mainstream.

lol lbp sold more then 3.6 and its selling about 10k or more every week, it should surpass 4 million.

again quality doesnt equal to sales. mcdonalds isnt the best restaurant in the war, also wii sold the more, that doesnt mean that its the best console(tech wise). uncharted 2, demon souls, batman arkham asylum, won many game of the year awards last year(demon souls won one, i think) but did they sell the most? they didnt. 

you do know what diverse means? a little bit of that here and their, the ps3 user base is about 37 million, if lbp reached 5 million that would mean that 13.5 of its userbase like platformers. lets say the ps3's userbase has 5 million people who love platformers, are all of them going to love lbp? no cod, halo are mege franchises but many peopel dislike the games.

the sales potential of 2d platformers arent huge on the ps3, other then lbp i dont know a game that passed a million(maybe sonic unleashed). this isnt the wii, the wii is all platformers and wii... something with the exception of zelda and other big nintendo franchises. thats why mario with huge help from its brand power gets such great sales.

about the 2 million levels in lbp, many gamers like myself dont build, we play! also the 2 million are without counting the thousands of crappy levels. also lbp sales are 3.6. if it didnt have the create aspect it would have gotten less then 2 million sales.

if you want to continue this debate pm me, i dont want to keep this thread alive.

If people talk about the cover mechanics in games like Uncharted, Quantum Theory or Vanquish, what do they say? "It's similar to Gears of War." Nobody cares for kill.switch, probably because it wasn't well executed. Not well executed = not amazing. Which game defined the 3D platformer genre? Super Mario 64 or Jumpin' Flash!? The former did even though the latter title was released first. Super Mario 64 was amazing while Jumpin' Flash! was forgettable.

Those games that came first, but didn't end up influencing a plethora of other games made gamers say: "New idea, yes. But needs a lot more work to be fun." Hence why nobody (gamers, journalists, developers) says about Vanquish that it is like kill.switch, instead everyone refers to it as a GeoW on speed or something like that.

Something that is unique is not necessarily defining or redefining its genre. Fire Emblem features permanent death of defeated characters, but how many other SRPGs do that as well? Nearly none. That means perma-death is a unique element of FE, but not genre-defining. Just like Killzone's weight system is only unique, but not defining. There is no contradiction here from my side, only a lack of comprehension on your part.

Quality doesn't equal to sales? I agree and if you read through my posts in this thread you'll see that I never said otherwise. Your Wii example is quite silly, because I've never heard anyone saying that high sales equal best technology. I doubt you did, but really, it doesn't matter.

I very well know what diverse means. In theory, a diverse userbase would allow games of many different types to become huge hits, right? So shouldn't a 2D platformer, one of the most popular genres in gaming's existence, be able to hit five million even on the PS3? In reality, the PS3's userbase isn't that much more diverse than the 360's. The top of the million sellers lists look quite similar when it comes to the genres that sell really well. And by the way, Sonic Unleashed isn't even a 2D platformer.

Me being wrong about LBP's sales didn't hurt my argument. The game selling better than I assumed only strengthens my point that most gamers aren't interested in building their own levels, hence why LBP's new thing (the extensive level editor) had little impact on the market.

yes but gears of war copied killswitch! hence by subsituation the titles which are copieng it are actually copieng killswitch. the only reason killswitch is forgetable is because it sold less then gears, ofcourse gears was executed better, but since its no 100% original its not redifining the genra. about mario and jumpin flash, i have no idea what jumpin flash is so i cant comment on that.

killswitch was fun, the games which copied halo were fun, but they werent popular. again sales doesnt equal to quality. gears copied other games, so killswitch did get copied, but people dont talk about it because 99% of gamers dont even know what that game is.

like i said in my previous postthe element must be on a certain scale to redifine the genra, and a weight system does that. why because it has to do directly with the fundementals of the a fps games: the controls, the psychics and the gameplay. you cant turn past a 180 degree turn, you feel the weight of the gun, and it changes the strategy in the game, that is redifining the realism of fps games.

lbp should be able to hit 5 million units, if their were only a couple of genras, like i it selling 5 million would mean that the userbase 14% or more, platformer lovers, but their are always haters, hence its not going to sell like that. i know that the userbase is close to the one of the 360, but titles like lbp and heavy rain woudnt have performed as well if they were on the 360, a console which is mainly shooter oriented. by looking at titles such as mw2 about 25% of the ps3 userbase love shooters, if you look at gta4 you see that 18% of the ps3 userbase like sandbox games, if you look at lbp you see that 10% of ps3 owners like 2d platformers, if you look at gow3 you see that 8 % of its userbsae like hack n slash games, looking at gt5:P 14 % of its userbase like racing games. i can go on and on, but the point is this isnt the wii, its not platformer and wii ....... love. 

also with a 37 million userbase and lots of genras not every big hit will reach 5 million, lbp is reaching 4 million and thats great considering half of the ps3 userbase consider it a kid game.

again like i said before if it wasnt for the level builder of lbp the game woudnt have the sales it has now, the level editor has an impact on the market, look at modnation racers not even 500k sales and it has more then  a million user created content.

Everyone copied everyone. Video games are just serious alterations of Pong. I mean what game lacks an opponent now?

My quick opinion, some games are first to the market (Flash Jumpin), but being first doesn't garentee sales. It's being the best that counts, and being the best for the longest. Kill-Switch was a joke game, have you two even played it? Why do you think Halo sells 5 times better then Killzone? Is it marketed that much more? Is it that much better? No! It's an old franchise, which has garenteed quality in the past, and Killzone does not prove to me that it's better. Not only must Killzone be a better game then Halo to take away some of it's game sales, but it has to be A LOT better. I am taking a risk getting Killzone, they need to show me several good reasons to do so, and by me I mean a typical Halo fan.

I mean why do you think Zelda sells so well compared to other adventure games? Shadow of the Colossus was just as good, but Zelda has established itself long before. Most people just stick with what they love.

LBP is an amazing game, but Mario is far better known, and it has been around for a long long time. New franchises often have trouble re-defining the genre, and LBP has to do A LOT more then be "as good" as Super Mario Bros to compete for sales.

I mean, I am more interested in Donkey Kong Country Returns then LBP 2, why? Donkey Kong Country was probably the best platformer ever made to me, and definatly a great game to most SNES owners. LBP is new, and hasn't proved anything. Why risk it when I know DKCR will be a great game that I know I like? I've played it before and have no reason to switch. LBP 2 has to offer A LOT more to convince me anything, and by me I mean DKC fans from the SNES era, and casual gamers who see Donkey Kong and the Nintendo logo on the back.

Just the idea, that a game I really love is having a sequel, even if it's bad, makes me want to play it. Why else did I buy Lost Planet 2? I was considering buying a Wii if Golden Sun was released onto the console because I love Golden Sun that much. People stick with what they love.

Michael-5 said:
zgamer5 said:
RolStoppable said:
zgamer5 said:

Everyone copied everyone. Video games are just serious alterations of Pong. I mean what game lacks an opponent now?

My quick opinion, some games are first to the market (Flash Jumpin), but being first doesn't garentee sales. It's being the best that counts, and being the best for the longest. Kill-Switch was a joke game, have you two even played it? Why do you think Halo sells 5 times better then Killzone? Is it marketed that much more? Is it that much better? No! It's an old franchise, which has garenteed quality in the past, and Killzone does not prove to me that it's better. Not only must Killzone be a better game then Halo to take away some of it's game sales, but it has to be A LOT better. I am taking a risk getting Killzone, they need to show me several good reasons to do so, and by me I mean a typical Halo fan.

I mean why do you think Zelda sells so well compared to other adventure games? Shadow of the Colossus was just as good, but Zelda has established itself long before. Most people just stick with what they love.

LBP is an amazing game, but Mario is far better known, and it has been around for a long long time. New franchises often have trouble re-defining the genre, and LBP has to do A LOT more then be "as good" as Super Mario Bros to compete for sales.

I mean, I am more interested in Donkey Kong Country Returns then LBP 2, why? Donkey Kong Country was probably the best platformer ever made to me, and definatly a great game to most SNES owners. LBP is new, and hasn't proved anything. Why risk it when I know DKCR will be a great game that I know I like? I've played it before and have no reason to switch. LBP 2 has to offer A LOT more to convince me anything, and by me I mean DKC fans from the SNES era, and casual gamers who see Donkey Kong and the Nintendo logo on the back.

Just the idea, that a game I really love is having a sequel, even if it's bad, makes me want to play it. Why else did I buy Lost Planet 2? I was considering buying a Wii if Golden Sun was released onto the console because I love Golden Sun that much. People stick with what they love.

kilzlone=realistic shooter

halo=arcade shooter

those are two diffrent things. also halo isnt on ps3, when killzone came out it was competiting with cod not with halo.

gears is better then killswitch, but since gears copied killswitch then it didnt redifine the genra.

for the rest,im not going to reply about it because it doesnt have anything to do with my post. and its common knowledge that donkey kong and mario are more popular then lbp, only a fanboy would doubt that.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good