By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does Sony fail at making another mega franchise?

zgamer5 said:
Michael-5 said:
zgamer5 said:
jarrod said:
zgamer5 said:

kilzlone=realistic shooter

halo=arcade shooter

those are two diffrent things. also halo isnt on ps3, when killzone came out it was competiting with cod not with halo.

Eh... I don't think any console first FPS can really be considered "realistic".  If you want something more sim-y or realistic, you need a PC.  Halo, Killzone, COD, etc are all more "arcade" than not.

i was talking quality wise. you cant compare halo and killzone since killzone aims for a more realistic feeling, while halo is just plain arcady fun. the console fps which i consider realistic is killzone, because of the weight system(in real life you cant turn 360 degrees) also because if you concetrate your eyes on the screen for a while you will think that you are really in that game, that was one of the complaints my friends had with the game.

It doesn't make it a more realistic shooter, none of the plot is realistic, most of the tech isn't, and except for how your gun fires and how you walk around, it's not really a realistic game. Yes playing the game, you feel human, and it simulates how you would move well, but in Halo your a Spartan, your in a mechanically powered suit. Of course you can jump two stories, and turn 360 degrees, I mean the suit weighs over a ton, how would you be able to move that youself?

If anything, a future war is more likely to have suits like this, war would not be like it is today, so by that logic, Halo is more realistic.

:p lol

you tried, but you failed./facepalm

Killzone is not a realistic shooter. Realistic shooters don't have people flying around in jetpacks being completly exposed. You fail to prove me otherwise.

Only games comparable to Call of Duty are Medal of Honor, Battlefield, and similar games. These types of games do not involve space colonization of any sort, and do not use tech that doesn't exist.

Killzone, Resistance, Halo, Gears of War, Lost Planet, Half Life, etc. They are comparable as they are all arcade sci-fi shooters.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
shinyuhadouken said:
HexenLord said:

The games you thought were 'failures' will probably end up selling another couple of million before gen is over. The Ps3 hasn't hit the 50% mark as far as total console sales go. Games like Uncharted 2, and Killzone 2 will eventually be bought by new console owners in the next few years especially since they will be 20-30 dollar 'greatest hits'.

They won't go on to sell 10 million, but 5 million would be a reasonable goal for them.

at $10 - $20 a piece. 

that's not very impressive.

Killzone 2, a game that sold 2.2 million in 2 years, you think will doube its sales as a greatest hit? Greatest hits games only add about 10% to sales, 2.5 is reasonable, sorry buddy.

Uncharted 2 could break 4 million, but not 5. Maybe Uncharted 3.

Also PS3 is over the hill, it's sold 50% of systems sold, but I'm not going to debate this.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Miguel_Zorro said:

Gears of War isn't that big of a seller (around 6 million), at least compared to Halo.  It had a better sales trajectory than Uncharted 2 has, but it's not that extreme.

As for why Sony can't seem to produce a "Halo" franchise?  I think there are a lot of reasons.

1) Marketing.  Halo marketing is huge, and effective.  I haven't seen Sony go as big with a marketing campaign yet.

2) Bundles.  Sony could pick a flagship game and bundle it with their console.  They don't do that enough.

3) Investing in franchises across generations.  The first Halo on the original xbox sold 6 million.  The next one sold 8.  They carried that over to the 360, where now Halo 3 sold over 10 million.  Sony carried over Gran Turismo from the PSOne, but what about Crash Bandicoot?  It had three titles which sold around 7 million each.

4) Not owning their biggest game.  The biggest exclusive on the PSOne after Gran Turismo was Final Fantasy 7.  The biggest game on the PS2 was GTA: San Andreas.  Imagine if Sony had released FF13 or GTA4 as an exclusive on the PS3?  Sony could have purchase Squaresoft in the 90s before it merged with Enix.  I think they've learned from this by purchasing the first party studios behind their PS3 games (like Media Molecule).

5) The 360 audience is perfectly suited to make Halo big.  Most people who own 360s are American.  Most people who own 360s like shooting games.  It's the perfect audience to make games like Halo and Gears huge.  The PS3 has more owners in Europe vs. the Americans, with a bunch in Japan, where shooters don't sell as well.

6) Diverse gaming audience - as mentioned, a lot of PS3 owners like different types of games, it'd be easier to hit 10 million if they all liked one type of game.

7) People who buy the 360 buy it for the games.  That's pretty much it.  The console has an amazing attach rate.  A lot of PS3 owners bought it primarily for the Blu-Ray player.  They're not buying a lot of games.  A lot of people bought the PS2 because it wasn't that much more expensive than a DVD player.  Same story.

When you're looking at mega-franchises (8-10 million sold per title) that started this gen or last, the list is small: Halo, Wii Fit (I'm excluding Play and Sports for hopefulyl obvious reasons). Then multiplats like Call of Duty and GTA.  (I may have missed a few).  The real question is - what is it about those games that make them such blockbusters?

1) I 100% Agree

2) MGS4 was bundled with the last PS2 backward compatible model PS3. So if you wanted a backward compatible PS3, you had to buy MGS4 as stand alone PS3's were different models. Motorstorm did the same, why do you think MGS4 sold 5 million?

Also Halo did 11 million without any significant bundles. There was a Halo 3/Fable 2 bundle a year and a half later on Elite models, but that didn't boost sales much.

3) I think in past generations, Sony relied a lot on 3rd party exclusives. GTA, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, all went multiplatform, or simply switched consoles entirely. It should have brought over Crash Bandicoot, bu I think they ran out of money when everyone left them.

4) in 1987 Square was a company on the verge of bankruptcy. In 1990, they were cheap to buy, but largly loyal to Nintendo, and Sony didn't even have a console back then. By the time PS1 came out, Sony did buy about 40% of the square stock, and they still own a large portion now (thats why FFXIII was not released on the 360 in Japan), but by 1996 Square was a rich and expensive company, and then they merged with Enix. Sony tried, but I don't think the had enough $$$ to buy Rockstar or Square. Even MS could only buy a timed DLC exclusive from Rockstar for 50 million.

5) Gran Turismo 5 will sell well as it appeals to PS3 owners tastes better.

6) I 100% agree

7) I 100% agree, I even know people who bought the PS3 for Blu-Ray and end up buying a couple games for it, just because they can.

As for 10 million sellers, there were a bunch in the NES era, but N64 took a dive in sales, so for N64 and SNES era it was uncommon. During PS2 era, games jumped again, remember PS2 has 5 10 million sellers, 3 GTA titles, 2 GT titles.

Wii just tapped that casual audience, and so did Halo and CoD kind of.

miz1q2w3e said:
iWarMachine said:

but uncharted 2 it's one of the best games this gen, even if it's copying Gears or whatever, the presentation, the story, and the gameplay it's far better than most of the games out there....following that reasoning, then killswitch has to be the best game ever, half life should be the biggest hit ever, Mario games should not sell that well, and Halo would be dead already.

Which games did Mario and Halo copy off of?

Probably late to the party here, but what did Halo rip off?

See Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Rise of the Triad (for the dual weapons), Blood 2, etc. etc. etc.

Only thing it really "innovated" was that it was on the xbox, limiting to two weapons and the regenerating shields.  So, if UC2 borrowed lots of ideas, Halo did too.  Just saying :)

Michael-5 said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Gears of War isn't that big of a seller (around 6 million), at least compared to Halo.  It had a better sales trajectory than Uncharted 2 has, but it's not that extreme.

As for why Sony can't seem to produce a "Halo" franchise?  I think there are a lot of reasons.

1) Marketing.  Halo marketing is huge, and effective.  I haven't seen Sony go as big with a marketing campaign yet.

2) Bundles.  Sony could pick a flagship game and bundle it with their console.  They don't do that enough.

3) Investing in franchises across generations.  The first Halo on the original xbox sold 6 million.  The next one sold 8.  They carried that over to the 360, where now Halo 3 sold over 10 million.  Sony carried over Gran Turismo from the PSOne, but what about Crash Bandicoot?  It had three titles which sold around 7 million each.

4) Not owning their biggest game.  The biggest exclusive on the PSOne after Gran Turismo was Final Fantasy 7.  The biggest game on the PS2 was GTA: San Andreas.  Imagine if Sony had released FF13 or GTA4 as an exclusive on the PS3?  Sony could have purchase Squaresoft in the 90s before it merged with Enix.  I think they've learned from this by purchasing the first party studios behind their PS3 games (like Media Molecule).

5) The 360 audience is perfectly suited to make Halo big.  Most people who own 360s are American.  Most people who own 360s like shooting games.  It's the perfect audience to make games like Halo and Gears huge.  The PS3 has more owners in Europe vs. the Americans, with a bunch in Japan, where shooters don't sell as well.

6) Diverse gaming audience - as mentioned, a lot of PS3 owners like different types of games, it'd be easier to hit 10 million if they all liked one type of game.

7) People who buy the 360 buy it for the games.  That's pretty much it.  The console has an amazing attach rate.  A lot of PS3 owners bought it primarily for the Blu-Ray player.  They're not buying a lot of games.  A lot of people bought the PS2 because it wasn't that much more expensive than a DVD player.  Same story.

When you're looking at mega-franchises (8-10 million sold per title) that started this gen or last, the list is small: Halo, Wii Fit (I'm excluding Play and Sports for hopefulyl obvious reasons). Then multiplats like Call of Duty and GTA.  (I may have missed a few).  The real question is - what is it about those games that make them such blockbusters?

1) I 100% Agree

2) MGS4 was bundled with the last PS2 backward compatible model PS3. So if you wanted a backward compatible PS3, you had to buy MGS4 as stand alone PS3's were different models. Motorstorm did the same, why do you think MGS4 sold 5 million?

Also Halo did 11 million without any significant bundles. There was a Halo 3/Fable 2 bundle a year and a half later on Elite models, but that didn't boost sales much.

3) I think in past generations, Sony relied a lot on 3rd party exclusives. GTA, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, all went multiplatform, or simply switched consoles entirely. It should have brought over Crash Bandicoot, bu I think they ran out of money when everyone left them.

4) in 1987 Square was a company on the verge of bankruptcy. In 1990, they were cheap to buy, but largly loyal to Nintendo, and Sony didn't even have a console back then. By the time PS1 came out, Sony did buy about 40% of the square stock, and they still own a large portion now (thats why FFXIII was not released on the 360 in Japan), but by 1996 Square was a rich and expensive company, and then they merged with Enix. Sony tried, but I don't think the had enough $$$ to buy Rockstar or Square. Even MS could only buy a timed DLC exclusive from Rockstar for 50 million.

6) I 100% agree

7) I 100% agree, I even know people who bought the PS3 for Blu-Ray and end up buying a couple games for it, just because they can.

As for 10 million sellers, there were a bunch in the NES era, but N64 took a dive in sales, so for N64 and SNES era it was uncommon. During PS2 era, games jumped again, remember PS2 has 5 10 million sellers, 3 GTA titles, 2 GT titles.

i remember seeing heaps of halo bundles bought one myself and the used game shelf  was full of the bundled version .
as to crash bandicoot has i have stated before universal own the IP and the squaresoft bail out was 25% now down to less than half that it is a simple fact that with 3 major players  the 3rd partys are gonna spread ,where halo got it right was bringing a genre more at home on the pc and making it work on console with a star wars style universal appeal so as with lots of things there is a case of right product at the right time .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:

i remember seeing heaps of halo bundles bought one myself and the used game shelf  was full of the bundled version .

The used game shelf had bundled consoles? What?

If you meant that the used game shelf was filled with copies of Halo, then that just makes it difficult for the game to sell new.

Also the only Halo 3 bundle came out a year and a half after Halo 3 came out. Halo 3 had sold 8 million of it's 11.1 million sum in holidays 2007, without bundles.

Michael-5 said:
mjk45 said:

The used game shelf had bundled consoles? What?

If you meant that the used game shelf was filled with copies of Halo, then that just makes it difficult for the game to sell new.

Also the only Halo 3 bundle came out a year and a half after Halo 3 came out. Halo 3 had sold 8 million of it's 11.1 million sum in holidays 2007, without bundles.

sorry i meant the games from the bundled  consoles , but more to the point each Halo version has had less need of bundling than the one before in regards  to it's sales, but for the sake of selling consoles  it might be a different story. many people i know said getting halo when they got a Xbox or 360 was a no brainer so i imagine they would look at getting it bundled if possible  making it  important to the system whether it sold consoles or was picked up after. What seems missing here is not the fact that MS and SONY have one huge first party each , but will we get a monster hit from either party originating this gen, In regards to the two titles they both seemed to fill a void at the time of there publishing so is it a matter of geat games at the right moment for it to be replicated  or is it something else?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Miguel_Zorro said:

I'm not just talking about things that Halo does well, but things that Sony could do to develop a 10 million seller.  You're right about that being a driving force behind MGS4.  It's also a reason that Uncharted 1 sold relatively well compared to other PS3 games at the time.

I know, I'm just saying that in general, Sony relied too much on thrid party exclusives to lead it's line-up. It never really formed much of a blockbuster first party lineup like Nintendo. Sony also does not know how to market a game as well as MS, and I beleive their exclusives are generally pretty bland. I mean Uncharted 2 (not 1) is a great game, Resistance and Killzone were fun too, but they don't seem as unique as a Halo or Gears title. Just like how Forza seems more bland then GT. It does not mean that Killzone isn't better then Halo, or Forza isn't better then GT, it just means that Halo and GT stand out more.

I think if Sony wanted to make a 10 million seller game, they should merge Naughty Dog and Guerilla (or make a joint project), and just make that epic shooter. They just don't want to invest the $$$ into it like they have for GT, probably because only until recently the PS3 console wasn't been making much of a profit at all.

To make a 10 million seller either requires a large investment, or a very intelligent concept (e.g. Wii Fit).

Michael-5 said:
zgamer5 said:
Michael-5 said:
zgamer5 said:
jarrod said:
zgamer5 said:

kilzlone=realistic shooter

halo=arcade shooter

those are two diffrent things. also halo isnt on ps3, when killzone came out it was competiting with cod not with halo.

Eh... I don't think any console first FPS can really be considered "realistic".  If you want something more sim-y or realistic, you need a PC.  Halo, Killzone, COD, etc are all more "arcade" than not.

i was talking quality wise. you cant compare halo and killzone since killzone aims for a more realistic feeling, while halo is just plain arcady fun. the console fps which i consider realistic is killzone, because of the weight system(in real life you cant turn 360 degrees) also because if you concetrate your eyes on the screen for a while you will think that you are really in that game, that was one of the complaints my friends had with the game.

It doesn't make it a more realistic shooter, none of the plot is realistic, most of the tech isn't, and except for how your gun fires and how you walk around, it's not really a realistic game. Yes playing the game, you feel human, and it simulates how you would move well, but in Halo your a Spartan, your in a mechanically powered suit. Of course you can jump two stories, and turn 360 degrees, I mean the suit weighs over a ton, how would you be able to move that youself?

If anything, a future war is more likely to have suits like this, war would not be like it is today, so by that logic, Halo is more realistic.

:p lol

you tried, but you failed./facepalm

Killzone is not a realistic shooter. Realistic shooters don't have people flying around in jetpacks being completly exposed. You fail to prove me otherwise.

Only games comparable to Call of Duty are Medal of Honor, Battlefield, and similar games. These types of games do not involve space colonization of any sort, and do not use tech that doesn't exist.

Killzone, Resistance, Halo, Gears of War, Lost Planet, Half Life, etc. They are comparable as they are all arcade sci-fi shooters.

im not going to bother arguieng with you, you still dont get what im saying. 

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Michael-5 said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

1) I 100% Agree

6) I 100% agree

4) They bought like, 10% or 20% of Square stock.  Which is now down to 4-8% due to Enix being the more valuable company when they merged.  Additionally, it's non voting stock and Sony never EVER had anyone on their board of directors.  So that's NOT why FFXIII was on PS3 only in japan.  Sony literally has no rights outside of dividends.

The reason it wasn't on 360 was time.  They made the 360 decision late and they didn't want to risk the game being pushed back anymore.  (While never having an announced date before, it obviously was meant to come out sooner.)

Also you aren't going to sell 10 million unless you tap some of the casual market.