By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does Sony fail at making another mega franchise?

Around the Network
Ping_ii said:

Besides Halo what other MS owned IP sells 10m? right......
Besides GT games what other Sony IP's sells 10m?

Fable 3m
Uncharted 3m
LBP 3m
Resistance 3m

Crackdown 1.5m
Infamous 1.6m

Lost Odessy 800k
Valkyria 900k
Demon soul's 700k

MS IP's sells the same as Sony's IP's quit bitchin.

This.

I forgot Gears isn't MS owned.

Slimebeast said:

But I'm only happy that Sony doesn't have any mega franchises.

I don't like mega franchises because they always tend to dominate everything else and overshadow other great games (at least in the eyes of casuals they do).

I always hated GTA for being so huge. In this generation that game is Call of Duty. All other shooters are compared to Call of Duty and they even have to adjust release dates in fear of CoD.

I love Assassin's Creed but I'm starting to feel it's getting too big (I mean AC II is on track to sell 10 million. 10 million!)

I hate Mario because everyone buys Mario instead of other platformers which I think are far more interesting.

I love Xbox but I don't like the extreme hype for Halo as if it's the only game on earth. Same with Gears of War.

And most of all I hate World of Warcraft and Starcraft because I don't like the style of Blizzard and it pisses me off that everyone is playing WoW and ignoring better MMOs. I will get Diablo but I think it's extremely overrated and it pisses me off.

And Age of Empires slays Starcraft.

Seriously, awesome post. All you said was very intelligent and I agree with a lot of things there, especially your las sentence. Sadly, there are not a lot of people who think Age of.. games slay Star-Warcraft games. Age of... is my favorite IP of all time although I didn't really play the first one (I was 2 years old when it released). For me, the best one is definitly Age of Mythology, which is my favorite game of all time. I liked it so much that i was really disapointed with the third one. I can't explain with I disliked with it, but it just didnt have the same feeling, I dunno. And the home city thing was garbage.

mikwow said:
Slimebeast said:

I don't like mega franchises because they always tend to dominate everything else and overshadow other great games (at least in the eyes of casuals they do).

I always hated GTA for being so huge. In this generation that game is Call of Duty. All other shooters are compared to Call of Duty and they even have to adjust release dates in fear of CoD.

I love Assassin's Creed but I'm starting to feel it's getting too big (I mean AC II is on track to sell 10 million. 10 million!)

I hate Mario because everyone buys Mario instead of other platformers which I think are far more interesting.

I love Xbox but I don't like the extreme hype for Halo as if it's the only game on earth. Same with Gears of War.

And most of all I hate World of Warcraft and Starcraft because I don't like the style of Blizzard and it pisses me off that everyone is playing WoW and ignoring better MMOs. I will get Diablo but I think it's extremely overrated and it pisses me off.

Seriously, awesome post. All you said was very intelligent and I agree with a lot of things there, especially your las sentence. Sadly, there are not a lot of people who think Age of.. games slay Star-Warcraft games.

So it seems intelligent as long as it's not pro-PS3 as it seems.  Hmmm...

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

mhsillen said:
ultraslick said:

Sony has the best first party developers which create new ips all the time.

Why doesnt Microsoft do this? Because they buy their exclusives and have almost zero first party devs.

Why doesnt Nintendo do this? Because they have a legacy of Mario and Pokemon and Metroid which they rarely go away from for a new ip.

Halo is Halo, Gears is popular because outside of those 2 games there is really only Fable and Fortza, that IS microsofts first party.

Sony does infact get recognized for Mega franchises. Gran Turismo > Halo world wide

Metal Gear, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank > Gears.

You ask why arent there more mega franchise games, I ask why isnt there more diversity in the competition?

Please:

Wii Fit

Nintendogs

Wii sports

All new IP's

Ummm...  Nintendo fanboy speaking here.  This might be out of context but as a hardcore gamer and Nintendo fanboy here, the titles you listed does almost nothing to enhance and strengthen the hardcore/core gaming experience.  But then again, I think I'm on context here.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
mikwow said:
Slimebeast said:

Seriously, awesome post. All you said was very intelligent and I agree with a lot of things there, especially your las sentence. Sadly, there are not a lot of people who think Age of.. games slay Star-Warcraft games.

So it seems intelligent as long as it's not pro-PS3 as it seems.  Hmmm...

Please, can you explain what you were trying to say? Seriously, I didn't understand. You're saying I'm a pro-ps3? 

RolStoppable said:
Jordahn said:
mhsillen said:
ultraslick said:

Sony has the best first party developers which create new ips all the time.

Why doesnt Microsoft do this? Because they buy their exclusives and have almost zero first party devs.

Why doesnt Nintendo do this? Because they have a legacy of Mario and Pokemon and Metroid which they rarely go away from for a new ip.

Halo is Halo, Gears is popular because outside of those 2 games there is really only Fable and Fortza, that IS microsofts first party.

Sony does infact get recognized for Mega franchises. Gran Turismo > Halo world wide

Metal Gear, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank > Gears.

You ask why arent there more mega franchise games, I ask why isnt there more diversity in the competition?

Please:

Wii Fit

Nintendogs

Wii sports

All new IP's

Ummm...  Nintendo fanboy speaking here.  This might be out of context but as a hardcore gamer and Nintendo fanboy here, the titles you listed does almost nothing to enhance and strengthen the hardcore/core gaming experience.  But then again, I think I'm on context here.

There's no valid reason to disregard the above IPs from the list of mega franchises.

If you are looking for mistakes, search a little above. For example, Metal Gear (Solid) isn't a Sony franhise and neither Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet or Ratchet & Clank are biggcer than Gears of War.

Gears isn't Microsofts IP, and fable,crackdown,forza sells the same as Uncharted, LBP, Infamous, ratchet.

NYANKS said:
Michael-5 said:
Squilliam said:

Mega Franchises:

Sony 3 generations:

• Gran Turismo
  • God of War
  • LittleBigPlanet

Microsoft 2 generations:

• Halo
  • Gears
  • Fable
  • Forza Motorsport

Nintendo 5 generations plus Arcade titles.

• Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Duck Hunt
  • Zelda
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Party
  • Wii Sports franchises
  • Wii Fit (I would clasify all Wii --- games as one franchise)
  • Probably another one or two that I missed.
  • Smash Bros.
  • Brain Age
  • Nintendogs
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario & Sonic franchise (kind of)
  • Pokemon (kind of)

Anyway Nintendos rate of massive franchise generation is simply higher. Probably this is due to the one man Miyamoto who had a significant hand in many of these games. Its not that Sony sucks, its just that one person is probably worth as much as all their studios combined. Luckily for Sony Miyamoto will retire eventually.

Filled in the blanks

God of War, LBP, Fable and Forza are NOT megafranchises.  Animal Crossing isn't either. Smash is fine, maybe Mario and Sonic, like you say.  For the others, I think the thread is leaning toward consoles, not handhelds. 

Animal Crossing: Wild World for DS has outsold Halo 3, if thats not a mega franchise, then nothing on the 360 or PS3 is.

The rest is debatable, as mega-franchise is not a word. God of War for PS2 broke 5 million sales, Forza 2 and 3 appear to get about 4 million sales on the 360, so does Fable. LBP is probably the smallest of the bunch, I guess it isn't mega, but to me the rest are.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

RolStoppable said:
Ping_ii said:
RolStoppable said:

There's no valid reason to disregard the above IPs from the list of mega franchises.

If you are looking for mistakes, search a little above. For example, Metal Gear (Solid) isn't a Sony franhise and neither Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet or Ratchet & Clank are biggcer than Gears of War.

Gears isn't Microsofts IP, and fable,crackdown,forza sells the same as Uncharted, LBP, Infamous, ratchet.

I said "for example", because I knew I hadn't pointed out all of ultraslick's mistake. Thank you for your support.

question Rol, do you think Wii fit, wii sports, and nintendogs, are better quality games than uncharted, little big planet, and infamous?

VXIII said:

I agree with RolStoppable. In the past Sony has really made some genre defining, or redefining games, but this generation not so much.

VXIII I agree with you on God of War, that game redefined the genre, but not mainly with it's gameplay, with it terific plot, gory battles (I mean ripping a head off!?!), and topless sex depicting cut scenes. Then again, this is one of PS3's best selling games, already selling 3 million units. Thats more then any Action game I know.

Metal Gear Solid is also genre defining, but thats the best selling PS3 exclusive, and has been among the best selling exclusives on a Sony console since the franchise started.

Twisted Metal also used to be big on the PS1 era, I'm a big fan of the franchise, but Sony butchered the series when they released "Small Brawl", and as a PS2 game, Twisted Metal Black didn't offer much (outside of the amazing cinematics). The PS3 version looks very cheap as well, why does an entire building fall when you shoot the corner? The physics and gameplay engine are simply too dated, and Sony hasn't really put enough $$$ into Twisted Metal since the PS1 titles.

As for ICO, Shadow of the Colosus, and Heavy Rain those are fairly niche games. Why didn't Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake or better yet Baten Kaitos sell well? Amazing games, just poorly marketed, and they appeal to a smaller audience.

MAG was a concept, it was a game designed to show people that you can have smooth 256 player multiplayer on the PS3. What does that prove? More oponents doesn't mean better multiplayer, Gears of War 1 got away with 4 vs 4, and Halo 3 was limited to 32 players (I haven't played in a while, is this right?)? MAG didn't redefine anything.

Modern Warfare really defined realistic shooters, and by realistic I mean your not fighting Aliens, or a planet that doesn't exist. By real I mean your fighting using guns which simulate real guns, in environments which simulate real places, and battles which simulate potential wars (it's a game some fiction must be used). Modern Warfare 2 took off because many gamers missed Modern Warfare 1, or simply wanted more.

Basically, you can't blaime just marketing, there are other factors involved. Killzone is an awesome game, and it pushed the bar graphically on what the PS3 can do, but it doesn't look that much better then Gears of War 2, and the Plot is not that different from older FPS games, it's not that different from Halo. Gears of War was the first amazing third person shooter. Yes there was Kill Switch beforehand, but that was a glitchy game with a mediocre story. Halo was epic in 2001, and in 2004 it defined online console gaming.

As for LittleBigPlanet, yes it came out before New Super Mario Bros Wii, but Super Mario Bros is a 20 year old franchise, that defined platforming, and a new game after what about 20 years? THATS EPIC! I know people who don't play games who wanted a Wii for this thing because of nostalgia.

Sony makes some great games on the PS3, there is no doubt about that. However, I already forgot the Plot to Resistance 1, yet I still remember what happened in Halo 1, and going back further I still remember all the environments and level layouts to Donkey Kong Country. I cannot say that about Sonic, which was also a great game.

You think that both GoW and MGS are genre defining but as you can see they're not mega franchises like Halo or Gears , it's more like you disagree with him XD .

we can't just blame lack of innovation in Sony games ( which is not true, and you seem to agree with me about some games) as he suggests either .

I think Sony is happy with it , they seem that they don't want to focus on single franchise to make it mainstream therefore they don't launch huge marketing campaigns, building a mega library is all that matters,  but I don't know for sure just like everybody else in this thread.

On the PS3, Metal Gear Solid, and God of War are borderline mega-franchises. On the PS2 and PS1 MGS sold over 5.5 million copies, thats a lot, just a touch below Gears of War, which is definatly a mega franchise. After actually looking up God of War sales, I'll take back them being a mega franchise, 3.73 for God of War 1 is not enough to be mega in my opinion.

It definatly is not the lack of innovation, but a lot of the bigger PS3 eclusives don't really seem to offer much. I mean what does Killzone do that Halo or Call of Duty don't do better? What make the Chimera more interesting over the Covanent or Locust? Killzone, and Resistance are interesting games, but offer no real solid reason to switch from a bigger franchise.

Uncharted 2 is exempt from this, but it's sales are moderatly strong, especially considering since Uncharted 1 wasn't that special (BTW, I own and beat it).

I'll tell you, one of the big reasons I still play Halo 3 is to see a Grunts head explode with colouful paper, and hear Horray!

However, I'll agree with you about sony not focusing on any key franchises, thats why none of their big games (except Gran Turismo) ever see huge marketing.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results