By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 20 Best Selling New IPs of 2010

How about a list of niche and great selling Ips ? such as cult games.

Around the Network
Declan said:
Vetteman94 said:
Declan said:
Vetteman94 said:
Declan said:

I'd agree that Wii Party should count as a new IP, even if it is just a rebranding of an older IP (i.e. Mario Party).  Be interested to see how Flingsmash does as Nintendo's latest new IP.

If its a rebranding of an older IP how can you say it should be counted as new?

I mean that the game itself emulates a lot of what's done in a long-running series of a different IP, but in rebranding it Nintendo have technically vreated a new IP.  It's new in the same way that something like Dante's Inferno is new - it does what has clearly been done before, but not with that name.

Well rebranding wouldnt be the right term then.   Dante's Inferno is new because its a new game based off no other game before it.  Just because its similar to other games in the same genre doesnt make it the same game with a different name.  

Not sure I agree with you on that one - I'd say Dante's Inferno is very much based on some games that have gone before it, particularly God of War and perhaps Castlevania.  Also, the release of Wii Party along with an unusually lengthy absence for a Mario Party update strongly suggests to me that a rebranding has taken place - I'd expect to see Wii Party 2 before Mario Party 9.

Rebranding is just taking an existing product and giving it a different name.  The only thing Dante's Inferno is based off of is old literature.  While it may have gameplay mechanics similar to other games,  it was never the same product with a different name.  Also,  if Wii Party is a rebranding of Mario Party,  then it does not belong on this list since it was already an existing franchise.  

This is probably the most active this thread has ever been, I should have put Wii party on it sooner

I just want to something cleared up in the case of Red Dead. 

Demon's Souls (King's Field)
[Possibly] Project Dark (Demon's Souls)
BlazBlue (Guilty Gear)
Shadow of Colossus (ICO)
Xenosaga (Xenogears)

Are all of these games considered the same IP as the game they're stated as being a spiritual successor to? Last I checked, the answer was no... If that's the case that Red Dead Redemption is technically a new IP...

IMU1808 said:

BlazBlue (Guilty Gear)
Shadow of Colossus (ICO)
Xenosaga (Xenogears)

Are all of these games considered the same IP as the game they're stated as being a spiritual successor to? Last I checked, the answer was no... If that's the case that Red Dead Redemption is technically a new IP...

"A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel or a companion piece, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not directly build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, but nevertheless features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material."

If we use that definition we could say each Final Fantasy is one, is each final fantasy game a new IP? Or every game in the GTA.

I mean if Rockstar's next open world Western game was Red Dead *insert anything here* would we class that as a new IP too? If Rockstar announce it as Red Dead Redemption 2 then I'll admit I was wrong

Although honestly the issue is really grey,  I put Wii Party on the list because it's the console name and they've done it before, as in Super Metroid, Mario 64,  Although if they released 3DS Party I would say it was the same IP

Honestly when I was creating this thread I had a fairly set idea of what I was going to classify as a new IP but I've been forced to change that a couple of times , so I'm not ruling Red Dead out completely  but for now I'm leaving it off

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
Declan said:
Vetteman94 said:
Declan said:
Vetteman94 said:
Declan said:

I'd agree that Wii Party should count as a new IP, even if it is just a rebranding of an older IP (i.e. Mario Party).  Be interested to see how Flingsmash does as Nintendo's latest new IP.

If its a rebranding of an older IP how can you say it should be counted as new?

I mean that the game itself emulates a lot of what's done in a long-running series of a different IP, but in rebranding it Nintendo have technically vreated a new IP.  It's new in the same way that something like Dante's Inferno is new - it does what has clearly been done before, but not with that name.

Well rebranding wouldnt be the right term then.   Dante's Inferno is new because its a new game based off no other game before it.  Just because its similar to other games in the same genre doesnt make it the same game with a different name.  

Not sure I agree with you on that one - I'd say Dante's Inferno is very much based on some games that have gone before it, particularly God of War and perhaps Castlevania.  Also, the release of Wii Party along with an unusually lengthy absence for a Mario Party update strongly suggests to me that a rebranding has taken place - I'd expect to see Wii Party 2 before Mario Party 9.

Rebranding is just taking an existing product and giving it a different name.  The only thing Dante's Inferno is based off of is old literature.  While it may have gameplay mechanics similar to other games,  it was never the same product with a different name.  Also,  if Wii Party is a rebranding of Mario Party,  then it does not belong on this list since it was already an existing franchise.  

But sometimes terms like "rebranding" are used in a not quite literal sense - more in a derogatory sense.  To say that Wii Party is a rebranding of Mario Party is to say that it is akin to Mario Party in so many ways that it may as well be Mario Party 9.  It uses Miis instead of Mushroom Kingdom characters - some might interpret that as simply a different wrapping (a bit like how the Star bar became the Peanut Boost [before reverting back to being a Star Bar again]).  Wii Party is a new IP, but it looks like it is simply a replacement for the Mario Party series.

i have Heavy Rain, Darksiders and Sports Champions and i'm glad i toke the leap, to get myself into these new IPs, because they are pretty good. will get modnation and MAG in the near future to see if the innovation in these games turns on the fun factor.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Shorty11857 said:
IMU1808 said:

BlazBlue (Guilty Gear)
Shadow of Colossus (ICO)
Xenosaga (Xenogears)

"A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel or a companion piece, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not directly build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, but nevertheless features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material."

If we use that definition we could say each Final Fantasy is one, is each final fantasy game a new IP? Or every game in the GTA.

I mean if Rockstar's next open world Western game was Red Dead *insert anything here* would we class that as a new IP too? If Rockstar announce it as Red Dead Redemption 2 then I'll admit I was wrong

Although honestly the issue is really grey,  I put Wii Party on the list because it's the console name and they've done it before, as in Super Metroid, Mario 64,  Although if they released 3DS Party I would say it was the same IP

Honestly when I was creating this thread I had a fairly set idea of what I was going to classify as a new IP but I've been forced to change that a couple of times , so I'm not ruling Red Dead out completely  but for now I'm leaving it off

It all depends dude on what makes a spiritual successor. In the case of every final fantasy, I would say no. Each one is a different story with new characters but it's all still just Turn based RPG each time with some improved gameplay elements. It wasn't until FFX12 that things really began to change up and it got a lot of backlash for it. For some reason, fans like to say the series reinvents itself with each entry but that's really not the case in my opinion. It's always just seemed like improvements based on the improvements of technology that are seen in the series and masked with a new Story and characters.

In the case of GTA, no. Again, same open world experience with improved gameplay and we just get a new story, characters. The name has nothing to do with it. 

King's field was a FIRST PERSON game. Demon's Souls was 3rd person action style. King's Field was a dungeon crawler. Demon's Souls you had a high level of freedom in how you tackled the world and what order you wanted to go through 5 different sections of it. The only thing the two games honesty had in common was the art  style and that they were both RPGs.

Guilty Gear to BlazBlue.... as far the realm of 2D fighting series, this one's obvious...

ICO, Shadow of The Colossus, The Last Guardian - They all have relatively the same artstyle. According to Ueda, they all happen in the same World. Other than, that's it. They're all completely different games.

These games have all made much bigger changes (for the genre, BlazBlue as well in it's own right)have all seen much bigger changes than when compared to FF and GTA. AND YOU AVOIDED MY QUESTION. Do you consider these games the same IP as the one they're being called a Spiritual Successor to?

Soon Kinect Adventures will enter this top.

Jadedx said:

Alan Wake should have sold more, way underrated and appreciated.

Couldn't agree more. And now that its also available as a digital download it will be impossible to track accurately. Definately one of my favourite games of 2010 and i've got my fingers crossed that we do get a sequel.