By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to increase price of Xbox Live Gold

$10 extra per year isn't that bad but its still kind of annoying.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
gekkokamen said:

so you'll be happy paying over $100 yearly for Live Gold in say, 10 years? happy online gaming, but I think I'll pass.

It only went up $10 in 8 years.

If it gets more expensive down the road, I may rethink paying for the service. But right now it only comes out to $5. Most of us can easily afford that.

Why would anybody defend big business and not care about themselves? Microsoft is making money, yet they fell a need to demand more. You seem like the kind of guy with a 360 emblem tatooed on the mouth and anus because you will defend any business practice, get real you should matter to yourself more than a business should define you.

chocoloco said:
Mr Puggsly said:
gekkokamen said:

so you'll be happy paying over $100 yearly for Live Gold in say, 10 years? happy online gaming, but I think I'll pass.

If it gets more expensive down the road, I may rethink paying for the service. But right now it only comes out to $5. Most of us can easily afford that.

Why would anybody defend big business and not care about themselves? Microsoft is making money, yet they fell a need to demand more. You seem like the kind of guy with a 360 emblem tatooed on the mouth and anus because you will defend any business practice, get real you should matter to yourself more than a business should define you.

Microsoft is making money, but they still need to make a lot to get the 360 out of the red. Wouldn't you like to see atleast one HD console in the black this gen? We both know Sony ain't gonna get there.

I used to pay $10 - $15 dollars to play a single MMO. Now I pay considerably less to play 360 games online.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
chocoloco said:
Mr Puggsly said:
gekkokamen said:

Microsoft is making money, but they still need to make a lot to get the 360 out of the red. Wouldn't you like to see atleast one HD console in the black this gen? We both know Sony ain't gonna get there.

I used to pay $10 - $15 dollars to play a single MMO. Now I pay considerably less to play 360 games online.

I agree strongly with the idea that the HD consoles should be making profit. Still I think Microsoft should focus on doing it in ways that benifit the consumer. You know man, like make new IPs like Halo, Gears, or Fable so that the consumer gains something and not to continue trends of increasing services that are already profitable.

Its cool you paid to play what you like, but the practice of getting a consumer hooked on something and then going on to increase its value with the full intention of knowing your consumer is hooked and will continue to pay is not a practice that benifits anyone but the already rich. Its minipulation and a method of control that only those with tons of money can do. It may be the principle of capitalism to always be looking for greater profit, but at some point you must demand mutual benits from a company and not just have them demand more of you.     BTW I would criticize MS less if they did what I said earlier and made more true exclusives.

Mr Puggsly said:
Mvp4eVa said:

Microsoft: damn let stick it to them and use Inflation as an excuse...  ha, ha, ha

Sony: what inflation ?  I care about the economy, I let the player play online for FREEEEEEE !! ain't that the standard no?

Microsoft: but if I let online for free for Silver no body would have an interest in upgrading to gold ..

Sony: so your using online gameplay which is free on my console to lure gamers into paying for apps that they dont want nor need but still have to pay that fee because thats the only way they would have access to online gameplay?

Sony: lol...more like fishing? 

Ms: Shhh!  shut up! Sony, I dont want them to know, but that how business goes.. otherwise they all would be silver members just to play online for free and than ignore gold all together ..

Sony: thats F'ed up , yo!

Sony: I'm adding apps here and there and making it for PSN PLUS for those who are willing to upgrade and gain an edge over the basic users for extra contents and free stuffs..

MS:that sounds cool but understand this, pay to play COD black Ops and halo: Reach online, or miss out, dude they have to pay me first to play nad its been working since so why change.

Sony: keep doing what your doing, -I will add extras, free stuff, apps for a premium, but I will keep whats the been the norm and that is, let my users feel free anytime they want to play online.

Microsft: u suk!...

The public: VOTE for Sony Campaign..

Microsoft: What's your finacial situation this generation? Selling those PS3s like you expected?

Sony: ...

Microsoft: Well you guys still rolling in that PS2 money, right?

Microsoft: Well you still must have PSP money, right? Those things sold like hot cakes.

Microsoft: PS3 hardware ate all that money up? Ouch. I imagine PSN Plus is a big hit. All the great stuff you get, people must be signing up like crazy.

Sony: Well... we give the best PSN features for free.

Microsoft: ...

Microsoft: Are you even trying to make money?

Sony: But we can make money doing everything you do for free.

Microsoft: Really?

Sony: No...

Valve: Hey Microsoft, wanna partner with us to make a service that could put PC Gaming over the top?

Microsoft: No, your idea is 10 years too soon. We don't want to have anything with you guys.

Valve: You are losing a great opportunity.

Microsoft: Whatever, we are going to consoles. We aren't focused on PC games.

Microsoft: How's business?

Valve: Steam is all over. And you guys said it couldn't be done.

Microsoft: But aren't you giving Steam for free?

Valve: Yeah, which is why getting million of new costumers.

Microsoft: Whatever, PC games don't sell. Consoles are where the money's at.

Valve: But didn't you lose billions with the Xbox?!

Microsoft: Yes, but our idea was to win the console industry with the Xbox 360, not the original Xbox.

Microsoft: Hey Valve, I'm launching GFWL! It will be a stronghold for PC gaming.

Valve: Cool, but what is GFWL?

Microsoft: It's like Xbox Live for PC, and you to pay to use it too.

Valve: What the hell?! PC Gamers won't pay for GFWL ever!

Microsoft: Whatever, we forced millions of console gamers to pay for nothing, PC gamers will too.

Valve: It won't work. PC gamers can't be forced to use GFWL.

Microsoft: We'll win, many big publishers  are already supporting us.

Valve: So how's GFWL?

Microsoft: Badly. No one paid for it, so we had to make GFWL free.

Valve: I told you.

Microsoft: Whatever, PC Gaming is dying. We're closing down all our PC studios.

Valve: WTF?! That's insane! You'll regret this.

Microsoft: PC Gaming is dying, and the money's on consoles.

Valve: You should stop reading NPD numbers...

Microsoft: *reads PR statement* "PC Gaming is important to us. We are always committed to PC Gaming"

Valve: Huh?!

Microsoft: We are coming back in full force to PC Gaming! We are releasing new games on PC, and GFWL will be a stronghold for PC Gaming.

Valve: I've heard this before. Have you even released anything in the past 3 years on PC?

Microsoft: No, "but we are committed..."

Valve: Dude, look:
- You lost billions with the original Xbox.
- You are losing billions with the Xbox 360, and are nowhere near the Wii.
- You closed all your PC studios.
- GFWL hasn't improved since launch and is still complete crap.
- All publishers that supported GFWL have abandoned you, and came over to Steam instead.
- You haven't released a PC game for years, and won't release before 2011 (if at all).

Microsoft: We thought PC Gaming was dying...

Valve: PC was the only platform to grow in 2009, and 2010 so far. It has always been growing. It was your fault for only reading NPD, and now Steam is so big that we are on MAC now. HAHAHAHA!!!!

Around the Network
shio said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Mvp4eVa said:

Microsoft: damn let stick it to them and use Inflation as an excuse...  ha, ha, ha

Sony: what inflation ?  I care about the economy, I let the player play online for FREEEEEEE !! ain't that the standard no?

Microsoft: but if I let online for free for Silver no body would have an interest in upgrading to gold ..

Sony: so your using online gameplay which is free on my console to lure gamers into paying for apps that they dont want nor need but still have to pay that fee because thats the only way they would have access to online gameplay?

Ms: Shhh!  shut up! Sony, I dont want them to know, but that how business goes.. otherwise they all would be silver members just to play online for free and than ignore gold all together ..

Sony: I'm adding apps here and there and making it for PSN PLUS for those who are willing to upgrade and gain an edge over the basic users for extra contents and free stuffs..

MS:that sounds cool but understand this, pay to play COD black Ops and halo: Reach online, or miss out, dude they have to pay me first to play nad its been working since so why change.

Sony: keep doing what your doing, -I will add extras, free stuff, apps for a premium, but I will keep whats the been the norm and that is, let my users feel free anytime they want to play online.

Microsoft: What's your finacial situation this generation? Selling those PS3s like you expected?

Microsoft: Well you still must have PSP money, right? Those things sold like hot cakes.

Microsoft: PS3 hardware ate all that money up? Ouch. I imagine PSN Plus is a big hit. All the great stuff you get, people must be signing up like crazy.

Valve: Hey Microsoft, wanna partner with us to make a service that could put PC Gaming over the top?

Microsoft: No, your idea is 10 years too soon. We don't want to have anything with you guys.

Microsoft: Yes, but our idea was to win the console industry with the Xbox 360, not the original Xbox.

Microsoft: Hey Valve, I'm launching GFWL! It will be a stronghold for PC gaming.

Microsoft: Whatever, we forced millions of console gamers to pay for nothing, PC gamers will too.

Steam: So how's GFWL?

Steam: I told you.

Steam: WTF?! That's insane! You'll regret this.

Steam: You should stop reading NPD numbers...

Microsoft: *reads PR statement* "PC Gaming is important to us. We are always committed to PC Gaming"

Microsoft: We are coming back in full force to PC Gaming! We are releasing new games on PC, and GFWL will be a stronghold for PC Gaming.

Valve: I've heard this before. Have you even released anything in the past 3 years on PC.

- All publishers that supported GFWL have abandoned you, and came over to Steam instead.
- You haven't released a PC game for years, and won't release before 2011 (if at all).

Valve: PC was the only platform to grow in 2009, and 2010 so far. It has always been growing. It was your fault for only reading NPD, and now Steam is so big that we are on MAC now. HAHAHAHA!!!!

this is getting interesting.

quick someone reply

*goes and grabs popcorn*

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Alby_da_Wolf said:
ironman said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

I kind of wished microsoft introduced another type of membership. I wish they had membership just for playing online and party chat for like $30-$40. Because honestly i dont care about last.fm (have an ipod), facebook (have a computer), twitter (have a computer), and ESPN (have cable). With all of these useless services thay should have introduced a platinum membership for $60 for people who actually use these services.

Wait, do XBL users PAY for Facebook??? So are they the origin of false rumours and chain letters about Facebook becoming a pay service?   :-S  :-@ 

No, facebook was added to the XBL experiance. The price of XBL did not go up to compensate for the add on, so basically it is free.

So if it was added for free, it's available also with Silver accounts.

Did you not read a word I wrote? Here, let me put it a differant way so you can hopefully understand. Facebook was an add-on that did not cost Gold users any more money than before, therefore it is NOT a pay service, if it was, the price of Gold would have gone up at launch to compensate.

Squilliam said:

Gamer butts have been found to be very accommodating. Im sure they can fit a few more inches at least...

I simply MUST quote you on this, good sir!!!

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

shio said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Mvp4eVa said:

Valve: So how's GFWL?

Valve: I told you.

Valve: WTF?! That's insane! You'll regret this.

Valve: You should stop reading NPD numbers...

Valve: I've heard this before. Have you even released anything in the past 3 years on PC?

- You lost billions with the original Xbox.
- You are losing billions with the Xbox 360, and are nowhere near the Wii.

Which explains why Valve are suddenly focusing on the PS3??? 

I like how you are quick to focus on Microsofts money making agenda then seem to forget 99% of commercially available Steam games are overpriced compared to their retail counterparts.

Given you have no intention of ever trying xbox live I think you're input in this thread is of little worth personally.

chocoloco said:

I agree strongly with the idea that the HD consoles should be making profit. Still I think Microsoft should focus on doing it in ways that benifit the consumer. You know man, like make new IPs like Halo, Gears, or Fable so that the consumer gains something and not to continue trends of increasing services that are already profitable.

Its cool you paid to play what you like, but the practice of getting a consumer hooked on something and then going on to increase its value with the full intention of knowing your consumer is hooked and will continue to pay is not a practice that benifits anyone but the already rich. Its minipulation and a method of control that only those with tons of money can do. It may be the principle of capitalism to always be looking for greater profit, but at some point you must demand mutual benits from a company and not just have them demand more of you.     BTW I would criticize MS less if they did what I said earlier and made more true exclusives.

I see... so big bad Micrsoft is forcing Live on the brainless consumers. The consumers can't choose the competition and the evil MS is forcing them to buy 360s in droves (except Japan, they are too smart)!

Instead of spewing bullshit about how MS is hurting consumers... why don't we just let consumers choose what they want? If consumers are really opposed to paying for onine services, they can go elsewhere. MS doesn't make it a secret that online services come with a fee and that's just part of the way they make money.

People pay $15 to play WoW and nobody gives a shit. That fee only covers the cost of that single crappy game. Yet Activision/Blizzard are often praised for having such an incredibly successful game.

MS charges much less for online play and throw in a bunch of features on top of it. Yet somehow they are greedy and earning money the wrong way? Your arguement is crap.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ironman said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
ironman said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

I kind of wished microsoft introduced another type of membership. I wish they had membership just for playing online and party chat for like $30-$40. Because honestly i dont care about last.fm (have an ipod), facebook (have a computer), twitter (have a computer), and ESPN (have cable). With all of these useless services thay should have introduced a platinum membership for $60 for people who actually use these services.

Wait, do XBL users PAY for Facebook??? So are they the origin of false rumours and chain letters about Facebook becoming a pay service?   :-S  :-@ 

No, facebook was added to the XBL experiance. The price of XBL did not go up to compensate for the add on, so basically it is free.

So if it was added for free, it's available also with Silver accounts.

Did you not read a word I wrote? Here, let me put it a differant way so you can hopefully understand. Facebook was an add-on that did not cost Gold users any more money than before, therefore it is NOT a pay service, if it was, the price of Gold would have gone up at launch to compensate.

Squilliam said:

Gamer butts have been found to be very accommodating. Im sure they can fit a few more inches at least...

I simply MUST quote you on this, good sir!!!

My concept of "free" is "not paying for it", sorry if I'm too fussy about it...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!