By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What console this generation will be home for 90% of the markets RPG's?

And you are banned for 3 days. Chill out, and don't insult forum members.

Around the Network

Wii, all the way.

This gen we're seeing a near-unprecedented sort of shift in market-share. While things will appear roughly equal for the time being, as the Wii continues to outsell its competition, more and more developers will announce riskier titles for it. And RPGs are about the riskiest title that one can announce, due to the development time.

I predict a full or near-full commitment to the Wii from Namco-Bandai, Capcom, and Atlus USA (who will start announcing imports of niche titles by Q1 2009), not to mention first- and second-party titles like Fire Emblem, Baten Kaitos, and at least one new title set in the Xenosaga or Ogre Battle universes.

Konami will remain loyal to the PS3, and with that, that's where Suikoden 6 will be going. Square-Enix will extricate itself from the home console market and devote itself primarily to developing for handhelds by the end of this generation - with a few exceptions. By the end of the generation, we'll see a FF13 spin-off on the Wii and the finishing of FF13, Versus 13, and the Crystal Chronicles games, but that's about it. FF14 will appear on the Wii 2, while most of S-E's offerings in the meantime will appear on the DS, DS-2, and (less often) the PSP.

The 360, of course, will continue to get the odd Bethesda or BioWare title. MS may also procure the occasional JRPG from a Japanese developer looking to break into the Western market, but after 2008, these will be extremely sparse.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

DS and PS3 for jRPGS. The two biggest series - Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are on them, respectably. That means that the jRPG fanbase will probably be on those consoles. The xbox 360 is getting a few, but they are heavily subsidized by Microsoft.

For Western RPGs, definitely 360.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

naznatips said:

I take the time to compile that list and that smegma crosses some out without even fucking verifying them.  Wouldn't you be angry if a clueless twit tried to mess up your work?

I'm going to try and make a comprehensive RPG list for all systems. Try and help me out with this guys if you can. I know I'll be missing some.

Wii:

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3
Monster Lab
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
Monster Hunter 3
Sword of Legendia
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Baten Kaitos 3
Opoona
Super Paper Mario
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Young King and the Promised Land
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Call for Heroes: Pompolic Wars
Alien Syndrome
Legend of the River King

Playstation 3:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (plus expansions)
Enchanted Arms
Mist of Chaos
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
The Last Remnant
White Knight Story
Eternal Sonata
Folklore
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles
Rise of the Argonauts
Gothic IV
Borderlands
Record of Agarest War
Mist of Chaos
Makai Wars

Xbox 360:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (plus expansions)
The Last Remnant
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Two Worlds
Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Fallout 3
Enchanted Arms
Fable 2
Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures
Arkadian Warriors
Two Worlds: The Temptation
Spectral Force 3
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Phantasy Star Universe
Final Fantasy XI
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon 2
The Secret World
Magna Carta 2
Cry On
Spectral Diario
X Quest
Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel
Apocalypse - Desire Next -
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Talisman
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Dungeon Hero
Gothic IV
Rise of the Argonauts
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements
Operation Darkness
Culdcept Saga
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Elveon

Help me complete this list, but some things that you should not tell me to add are: Games that have no chance of being released outside of Japan at all. Games that are unnamed, rumored, or have no official platform confirmation (If you say Kingdom Hearts 3 Wii Soriku I swear I'll ban you), and finally:  No games without a publisher.  As in, the IGN list will say "TBA" next to publisher.  Well over 75% of those games never make it to market, so if it doesn't have a publisher, don't list it.  Now have at it.

As a side note, RTS games are not RPGs.  There are RPG RTS games, but Warhammer Battle March is not one of them.  

Around the Network
SantaClause2 said:
naznatips said:

I take the time to compile that list and that smegma crosses some out without even fucking verifying them.  Wouldn't you be angry if a clueless twit tried to mess up your work?

Fine, I'll unban you.  You should have been warned first anyway.  In the future, don't curse, and especially don't curse out other forum members.

@naz you put folklore on 360

naznatips said:
SantaClause2 said:
naznatips said:

I take the time to compile that list and that smegma crosses some out without even fucking verifying them. Wouldn't you be angry if a clueless twit tried to mess up your work?

Fine, I'll unban you. You should have been warned first anyway. In the future, don't curse, and especially don't curse out other forum members.

Most of the 360's list is multiplatform shared with the PC or PS3. Very little of it is unique to the platform whereas the Wii by comparison has a lot of Wii-only RPGs. Why bother with a 360 when you can get 70% of the lineup on the PC anyway?

As for the banning, Naz he dropped 4 F-bombs in a single post and continued to swear even with the alternate account none of which wishstanding the offensiveness of his signature. I agree with Rol and am very disappointed you actually unbanned him.

Everyone deserves 1 warning WoW.

List has been updated. His has been cleaned up. Multiplatform games are still games, and when people look to buy a system they look at the overall amount of games, not just exclusives.

So far: 360 has quantity of WRPGs, Wii has quantity of JRPGs, PS3 is in the middle of both.

naznatips said:

Hey just ban him. He is the same retarded that was insulting others yesterday. He even had a topless woman as his sig.

Here is the link:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=11448#end

Gbush 

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."