By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Informer (America) review of Metroid Other M

darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:

In the case of Metroid: Other M the list of black listed sites is getting pretty damn lengthy.

@Maxwell - I'm surprised by your ad space quip to be honest, 'cos you know we get those sorts of comments with our reviews (perhaps even your own) sometimes and it's total bs.

I'm 98.7% sure Maxwell was joking.

I was joking which is why I put the smiley there.  But the statement is based on Game Informers own stats which stated how their front cover games have averaged a whole point higher than their overall average score.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Lower score yes but the things it says are the things pretty much everyone says in their reviews for the game....so this is not a Jim Sterlin move by them

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Mr Khan said:

What's starting to piss me off is the reviewers that have done no research into the game development. They keep blaming a lot of stuff on Team Ninja that Team Ninja had nothing to do with. Team Ninja was gameplay and gameplay only.

This is very true, translations and VO is completely on NOA, while the game wasn't just developed by Team Ninja it was a co-development with the creators of Metroid, so if they wanna get pissed get pissed at both sides.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:

In the case of Metroid: Other M the list of black listed sites is getting pretty damn lengthy.

@Maxwell - I'm surprised by your ad space quip to be honest, 'cos you know we get those sorts of comments with our reviews (perhaps even your own) sometimes and it's total bs.

I was joking which is why I put the smiley there.  But the statement is based on Game Informers own stats which stated how their front cover games have averaged a whole point higher than their overall average score.

But thats because Front Cover games are usually games from places that make "quality" games.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

MaxwellGT2000 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:

well that makes sense doesn't it? 

Game Informer gets to play and see games LONG before anyone else does so why would they put games on their covers that they think may score low and be bad games?  Obviously they are goning to be putting the games on the cover that they see have the most potential.

I mean its common sense every gaming magazine is like that

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Xxain said:

This thread seems kinda banwagonish.

1. The stupid plot element that prevents Samus from using her full potential

2. A spoiled, Whiny and brainless Samus thats gets scared of enemies that she beat 4 times already

3. shoddy aiming and controls

4. not so great writing

these issues have been addressed in every review REGARDLESS of score. What does it matter that one site gave it a 6 and th other a 8? the issues arestill there its just some ppl have decided to look past it and others didnt... too much emphasis is being put on the number and not the actually review

The bit where she kept saying baby over and over does get annoying, it's repeated over a bit too much though they're trying to give the emphasis of this being a constant thing running through her head.

The plot point preventing her from using her powers is Adam a major character in Samus' life if you've played the series.

As for controls G4 and GI seem to be the ones bitching about that, reading other reviews actually call it innovative, surprise surprise.

It seems to me there are things that could have been done better but both G4 and GI seem to spew nonsense and even their reviews conflict with each other despite both of them being the lowest scores for this game focusing to bash on the same things, one says the music is very prevalent and amazing the other says it's hardly there, now that is something that is easy to discern and is just a fact if its there its there if its not its not... someone is flat out wrong between the two at least on that subject.  

1. 1. I have played the metroids front to back, but i am NOT gonna fall for.. Samus wont use her full potential because somebody told her too..regardless of there relationship...its dumb.. period. Dont even try to juatify that.

2. IGN austrailia, who gave it a 8, also "touched didnt whine about but they realized it was there" on the control

3. Once again we cannot expect awhole branch of reviewers to agree on the same thing even if they part of the same branch, i mean there not robots. I would agree with youon the music( though i havent seem that as a complaint) but whole mindset that if this revie gives it a 9 then everything else should or we cry about or discredit the reviewer company* who we would praise if it gave the score we wanted* is just one stupidest most annying thing to happen.

darthdevidem01 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:

But thats because Front Cover games are usually games from places that make "quality" games.

What?  I've seen some front covers from developers that have yet to prove themselves but this gen there hasn't been a single Nintendo published game on the front cover of GI cause the cover is ad space, just like the ads inside the magazine, if the publisher of said game doesn't give money for the ad/typically some exclusive content for the magazine to talk about then it doesn't get put on the cover.  

I think maxwell's questioning of GameInformer stems from the time he spent employed at GameStop.  Anybody that reads GameInformer consistently knows their reviews can be quite suspect.  Working at GameStop only compounds this when you see how their reviews and magazine ads correlate with their in-store marketing for new games.

Honestly, the entire notion of a retailer rating the product they sell is suspect, as they will obviously have a vested interest in promoting certain product over others.  It is also in their interest to nurture the relationship they have with larger publishers, which often leads to their favoring of blockbuster releases over more niche titles in both their own (non-publisher funded) marketing and previews/reviews.

That being said, this is a Nintendo title, so its final score is unexpected given GI's normal MO.  Their scores for Sin & Punishment and New Super Mario Bros. were both above the Metacritic average, for example, and I would've expected the same to be the case here.  Given the fact that this review is not only below the average, but is thus far the lowest review out after G4's, I can only assume the guy just really didn't like it.  Which is odd, considering most reviewers seem to think it's pretty cool.

But yeah, GI's reviews have always been questionable.  I think maxwell just tossed in a joke about this to explain away the low score.

This part of the review made me lol though:

Even worse, Samus often comes off as an idiot. After one supporting character has clearly established that the space station has been doing biological weapons tests, Samus asks, "Do you think they were doing biological weapons tests?" Later, in her internal monologue, she again reiterates this confirmed fact we learned just 20 minutes ago.

Has the guy never played a Japanese game before?  I'd hate to see his reaction after playing MGS4.

makingmusic476 said:

I think maxwell's questioning of GameInformer stems from the time he spent employed at GameStop.  Anybody that reads GameInformer consistently knows their reviews can be quite suspect.  Working at GameStop only compounds this when you see how their reviews and magazine ads correlate with their in-store marketing for new games.

Honestly, the entire notion of a retailer rating the product they sell is suspect, as they will obviously have a vested interest in promoting certain product over others.  It is also in their interest to nurture the relationship they have with larger publishers, which often leads to their favoring of blockbuster releases over more niche titles in both their own (non-publisher funded) marketing and previews/reviews.

That being said, this is a Nintendo title, so its final score is unexpected given GI's normal MO.  Their scores for Sin & Punishment and New Super Mario Bros. were both above the Metacritic average, for example, and I would've expected the same to be the case here.  The fact that this review is not only below the average, but is thus far the lowest review out after G4's, I can only assume the guy just really didn't like it.  Which is odd, considering most reviewers seem to think it's pretty cool.

But yeah, GI's reviews have always been questionable.  I think maxwell just tossed in a joke about this to explain away the low score.

Even worse, Samus often comes off as an idiot. After one supporting character has clearly established that the space station has been doing biological weapons tests, Samus asks, "Do you think they were doing biological weapons tests?" Later, in her internal monologue, she again reiterates this confirmed fact we learned just 20 minutes ago.

Has the guy never played a Japanese game before?  I'd hate to see his reaction after playing MGS4.

Unlikely

Every dialogue in MGS4 is essential and gives you a sense of the greater purpose. Every grunt Snake makes has been put there to evoke some kind of hidden meaning!

Don't link that masterpiece to other games.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

makingmusic476 said:

That being said, this is a Nintendo title, so its final score is unexpected given GI's normal MO.  Their scores for Sin & Punishment and New Super Mario Bros. were both above the Metacritic average, for example, and I would've expected the same to be the case here.  The fact that this review is not only below the average, but is thus far the lowest review out after G4's, I can only assume the guy just really didn't like it.  Which is odd, considering most reviewers seem to think it's pretty cool.

Pretty much nailing it, I don't really trust GI's scores on any console but it's highly suspect when you can go on meta and find a lot of the lowest reviews for Wii games being from GI and when you read the full review it has poor writing/reasoning, this review is better written than say the Silent Hill review, but it's still got some iffy reasoning, since GI as a whole seems to bitch whenever they need to point the Wii remote at a screen and no other reviewer has this problem.

Also I listed an obvious inconsistency between two similar reviews but it was a subject that should be cut and dry, being music.