By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

Rhonin the wizard said:
jarrod said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
jarrod said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
jarrod said:

And as far as the freakout itself, Samus thought she'd killed Ridley and blew up the planet he was on.  In the manga he'd told her as a child he can escape death by consuming the flesh of others, the realization of that being true likely just heightened the shock and may have helped trigger the response.  That's how PTSD works, it's not predictable, and anything could trigger it really.  Plus it's also not like we really saw Samus response one way or the other in Metroid 1 or 3, though she did also inexplicably pause for several seconds when first encountering Ridley in Super Metroid , which allowed him to roid-nap the baby and take it off the space station.  Perhaps that was the 16bit portrayal of shock/hesitation/panic/PTSD?

In the manga Samus met Ridley, had a PSTD, was completely useless for a while, Then she got better. There is no point in portraying Samus like she goes like this every time she meets Ridley, otherwise she should have died in Metroid .

I know.  But, PSTD isn't something you really 'get over', the trauma causes a permanent damage.  It's something you cope with, or at least try to.  And for someone as emotionally stunted and distant as Samus is supposed to be, with basically no support network to fall back on, that's likely even more difficult.

Samus was caught off guard, by surprise, and she relapsed.  That's not exactly abnormal, or even unlikely.

Then she should have died in Metroid 1 because there was no one there to help her, would have made a downer ending, but it would have fit Sakamoto's vision.

Again, these sort of responses are unpredictable.  And afaik, we don't have much backstory on Metroid 1's setup outside the bounty order on Mother Brain, so Samus likely went in expecting to face Ridley and able to prepare herself.  Which is... well, different than what we have in Other M.

It is shown in the manga, Adam gives her bombs, while a ghost of Chozo shows her were the Varia suite is, and that makes her practically invulnerable to Ridley's attacks, and here is a little exchange were it proves that Samus got over her problems with RIdley.

And now she's relapsed. Again, I'm not seeing any retcon here, I'm not seeing anything impossible or improbable.  Human beings are complex creatures, let Sakamoto revel in complexity if he wants.  He's deserved it imo, Super Metroid's a legitimate contender for best game ever made.

I should probably add that I don't think (at least, what I've seen of) Other M's narrative is exactly good.  Overall, it seems pretty cliche, lots of the usual tropes for JP sci-fi fiction, but I've definitely seen way, way worse in popular games.  By genre standards, I'd say it's pretty inoffensive really... which is probably why I find these laughable claims of sexism so particularly inflammatory and irresponsible.  A real feminist would, frankly, know better...

Around the Network

"And now she's relapsed."

No, relapses do not work that way. Especially not with what Samus said in the linked pages.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Well like many other i receive my copy yesterday and i bilieve in my opinion yet so far the game is awesome.  is a little difficult at the begining till you adapt to the new controls.  the game has a complete set of details i never expected to the Wii can provide, the motion of the caracter is really smooth and very fast, the controls are very sensitive and response in the right moment.  the only flaw that i found is you can't replenish your energy like the other games with energy capsules every time you destroy an enemy but that not matter to much because now you can be more careful with you life points and enjoy the exploration with caution.  after all i give a 9.5 of 10 IMO.

LordTheNightKnight said:

"And now she's relapsed."

No, relapses do not work that way. Especially not with what Samus said in the linked pages.

There's no one way relapses work.  How about trying to explain 'why' rather than just saying 'no' and 'especially' though?

Wow, so much fuss over the Ridley scene :o

As for the review, I understand that it's her opinion and all, but my opinion is that she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about :b

Around the Network

I find it rather laughable that anyone would tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about.  Especially since she did play the game, while most of you haven't.

It's her opinion.  She doesn't like your dream game.  Big deal.  Calling her a whore and a cunt just because she has a diverging opinion is quite sad, actually. 

Yeah, that's humanity and internet for you. :(

Funny how people just want to crucify she instead of discussing her points in the review. In the first place, she didn't only complained about sexis. There were other points, and valid ones, that most "reviewrs" forget to mention. Also, based on the videos I saw and on what I read, she is very right about Sakamoto having ruined the Samus character by turning her into a crybaby.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:

Funny how people just want to crucify she instead of discussing her points in the review. In the first place, she didn't only complained about sexis. There were other points, and valid ones, that most "reviewrs" forget to mention. Also, based on the videos I saw and on what I read, she is very right about Sakamoto having ruined the Samus character by turning her into a crybaby.

She expected a game more in the veins of what Metroid had been so far.  She didn't like most of the changes they did (Life Energy recharging, the way you aquire "new" weapons and abilities, the switch to first person and its controls and most importently, the characterization and voice acting.) when you actually watch the videos that complement the review (not the video review, the other one) where she explains her gripes about the game, she actually makes pretty valid points.

Hynad said:

I find it rather laughable that anyone would tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about.  Especially since she did play the game, while most of you haven't.

It's her opinion.  She doesn't like your dream game.  Big deal.  Calling her a whore and a cunt just because she has a diverging opinion is quite sad, actually. 

I did play the game and I do understand that it's her opinion. My opinion, on the other hand, is that she really doesn't know what she's talking about.

-PaNdOrA- said:
Hynad said:

I did play the game and I do understand that it's her opinion. My opinion, on the other hand, is that she really doesn't know what she's talking about.

She really doesn't know? 

Would you kindly read this and come back after? http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81781/too-many-gamers-are-intellectual-cowards/

Now that you did, would it be too much to ask of you to elaborate on this opinion of yours a little further?