By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ds 68.1% psp 31.9%

hunter_alien said:
PS4 said:
PSP is doing great in terms of hardware, software sales are pretty abysmal though!

Well software did improved lately , and hardware is doing excelent ... lets dont forget the DS is the best selling console of all :)

software?? hardware ok, but software???

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

The PSP sells nicely in terms of hardware, but not in software. People must be buying it to play movies or to pirate games or something like that...

To tell the truth, I don't quite understand why 3rd party developers care about making games for the PSP. There must be some games which sell fine, but how many?

Not many games sell well. I think the PSP has only one million seller in Japan, for example. There are always a few that become profitable, but it seems to be very sparse compared to the DS.

Developers don't always make sound financial decisions.  The installed-base / profitability issue is moving front-and-center because it's gotten to the point that your platform of choice may no longer be profitable, and not only not profitable but it may be a huge loss.  A lot of devs have been burned with the PS3.  

Suddenly, a lot more attention is being paid to whether or not a high quality game can be profitable on a given platform.  It used to be the case that a high quality game would much more likely be profitable, but the extent to which depended on where it landed. Developers could choose platforms they preferred, were familiar with, etc.  This generation is the first generation where behavior has to change, and where most developers will have to go where the money is. 

This will likely trickle down to handhelds as well.  Not out of necessity, but because the practice won't be disconnected between handhelds and home consoles.

RolStoppable said:
starcraft said:
In the handheld market Sony is doing fantastically. They have come into a Nintendominated sector of the industry and seen respectable sales first go.

Of course in the home console market its the opposite, overwhelming first to overwhelming last............

That's probably the most popular excuse why the PSP couldn't beat the DS, but it's seriously flawed. Remember that in the mid '90s Sony entered a market dominated by Nintendo and Sega and crushed them both with their first go. The Playstation did this without having a known brandname.

The PSP however was released at the peak of the Playstation popularity and every 3rd party publisher was backing it right from the start with their big names like GTA and MGS. The PSP had the most popular brandname in videogames and much stronger 3rd party support than the DS.

If you consider these circumstances the PSP clearly hasn't done fantastically, in fact the contrary is the case. It failed to meet the expectations of analysts and more important, Sony itself. Especially in software sales.

That's exactly what I was trying to say Rol but you're obviously more literate than me (or is that I)

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ said:
PSP is losing to the DS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wow, I hadn't known that until I read this thread!

Do you mind posting threads about things we don't know?

But if someone posts about things we don't know, you are going to attack the thread starter as well...

stop, that is only if ps3 comes forward in a negative way or wii or xbox 360 positive

Yeah, sure.  Or maybe, this thread is useless.  Did you not know that?  Is this news?  And you're insinuating that I am a fanboy, which I'm not, if you didn't post sooooooo many stories on how bad that Sony is doing, I wouldn't respond so much.  But this really isn't news.  the PSP has been losing for a year.  Why post a thread now?

DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ said:

But if someone posts about things we don't know, you are going to attack the thread starter as well...

stop, that is only if ps3 comes forward in a negative way or wii or xbox 360 positive

Yeah, sure. Or maybe, this thread is useless. Did you not know that? Is this news? And you're insinuating that I am a fanboy, which I'm not, if you didn't post sooooooo many stories on how bad that Sony is doing, I wouldn't respond so much. But this really isn't news. the PSP has been losing for a year. Why post a thread now?

perhaps this is a thread on how well Nintendo are doing rather than how badly Sony are

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ said:

Yeah, sure.  Or maybe, this thread is useless.  Did you not know that?  Is this news?  And you're insinuating that I am a fanboy, which I'm not, if you didn't post sooooooo many stories on how bad that Sony is doing, I wouldn't respond so much.  But this really isn't news.  the PSP has been losing for a year.  Why post a thread now?

troll

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

gawalls said:
DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ said:

Yeah, sure. Or maybe, this thread is useless. Did you not know that? Is this news? And you're insinuating that I am a fanboy, which I'm not, if you didn't post sooooooo many stories on how bad that Sony is doing, I wouldn't respond so much. But this really isn't news. the PSP has been losing for a year. Why post a thread now?

perhaps this is a thread on how well Nintendo are doing rather than how badly Sony are

It's not that I care if a thread casts Nintendo in a good light or whatever, just that the PSP has been losing for two years now.  Why post the thread that the PSP's market share is bad at this stage of the game?

@ Rolstoppable

Even better for my argument, it's been losing for two years, why post this thread now?

32% is a nice number it it is at

RolStoppable said:
starcraft said:
In the handheld market Sony is doing fantastically. They have come into a Nintendominated sector of the industry and seen respectable sales first go.

Of course in the home console market its the opposite, overwhelming first to overwhelming last............

That's probably the most popular excuse why the PSP couldn't beat the DS, but it's seriously flawed. Remember that in the mid '90s Sony entered a market dominated by Nintendo and Sega and crushed them both with their first go. The Playstation did this without having a known brandname.

The PSP however was released at the peak of the Playstation popularity and every 3rd party publisher was backing it right from the start with their big names like GTA and MGS. The PSP had the most popular brandname in videogames and much stronger 3rd party support than the DS.

If you consider these circumstances the PSP clearly hasn't done fantastically, in fact the contrary is the case. It failed to meet the expectations of analysts and more important, Sony itself. Especially in software sales.

Actually the barnd was SONY , and that saied a lot ... also , back that Sega and Nintendo where pretty close ... I would go as far as saying that Sega could have won the 5th gen , if Sony wouldent have entered . Also , the Nintendo portable market had 15 years to fully evolve alone on the market ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!