By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "New IP, not rival battle, is our barometer of success"

jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Sony is the best at new IP's by a mile over Nintendo and MS. That's one of the things I like best about Sony.

Commercially Nintendo (Brain Training, Nintendogs, Wii Sports/Fit/etc, Professor Layton,  etc) and even Microsoft (Gears of War) have been way more successful.  Sony hasn't even had a new IP crack 5m yet, while Microsoft has and Nintendo's had multiple ones manage it.

yeah cuz we all think quantity = quality right?

I heard just dance is so much better than many games out there

/s

what nonsense

I'm not arguing quality, I'm arguing commerical success.  A lot seems to get made of Sony's new IPs being modest successes sales wise, where as Nintendo and MS have both made new IPs that not only did better, but they have many, many more new IPs that have done comparably to Sony's better selling new IPs (Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean, Tomodachi Collection, etc, etc) that tend to go unmentioned. 

Why bring up ME? that game did way way less than impressive...another great example where a good quality game not getting the sale it deseves

Games like UC, LBP, HR, inFamous and so on have done so well....and overall if you look at it collectively PS3 had a pretty impressive start for those new IPs...and it will only will get better..if you check their upcoming line up of games, next year is going to be huge for them exclusive wise

and also considering the market share they have compared to the wii...wouldn't you agree they have done really well? Especially it's only now (well since about an year ago) that they have started to pick up good momentum?

ME outsold every new IP Sony's published except Uncharted, LBP, Resistance and MotorStorm.  And all those games were bundled to hell, and two were mostly pushed due to being launch titles.  If that's "less than impressive" what's that say about Sony's games?  What's that say about Heavy Rain, inFamous, etc?

I do think Sony's been doing well with new IPs, but I'd say they've always done well with new IPs, so in some ways this really isn't 'new'.  I think my favorite period for SCE is still the PSone era, when we got genuinely new IPs and concepts like Parappa, GT, Carnage Heart, Jumping Flash and tons of really unique and interesting games.  These days I think a lot of that pioneering spirit has been lost or shifted, and it correlates to the (relative) fall of their Japan Studio, which is also probably why I'm not so enthusiastic about modern SCE.  That experimental 'spirit' seems to have weirdly transferred to Nintendo actually, with stuff like Elite Beat Agents, electroplankton, Wii Fit, etc.  More oddball, more experimental, even if it doesn't always pan out for them.

I know your probably over this little argument right now, but I'd like to point out that Mass Effect sold 2,241,427 over 144 weeks. Infamous has sold 1,567,150 over 65 weeks. Heavy Rain has sold 1,406,275 over 27 weeks. So making that comparison is kinda ridiculous and ruins your whole 'New Microsoft IP's sell better than new Sony IP's' argument. 

The only thing Microsoft has over Sony when it comes to top selling new IP's is Gears, but now that Uncharted 2 has released, it can at least hope to come close to Gears of War 2 in terms of sales. Gears 2 has sold 5,840,303 in 94 weeks, Uncharted 2 has sold 3,579,385 in 45 weeks. With the little info I have, Uncharted 2 looks to be out pacing Gears in terms of weekly sales after they'd both shared similar time on the market, Gears 2 had a larger opening, but Uncharted 2 is having much better legs. 

Sony also have 9 new IP's that have sold over 1 million copies, Microsoft  has 5. 

Your comments about SCEJ are kinda true, but that really only applies when you overlook PSN. Really, they've released eccentric titles such Echochrome, The Eye of Judgement, Piyotama, LocoRoco, The Last Guy, Trash Panic, Numblast and then you have their retail titles like White Knight Chronicles (with Level 5), Demon's Souls (with From Software) and Siren: Blood Curse. If your referring to Sony in general not offering any unique or interesting games, then I'd point to Little Big Planet, Flower, Heavy Rain, Flow, Noby Noby Boy, Demon's Souls, Afrika, Folklore and EyePet.

You gotta get on the Sony bandwagon man, it's not cool to hate.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

yeah...until their next big game is just around the corner then its back to the next blank-killer chatter

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Doobie_wop said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Sony is the best at new IP's by a mile over Nintendo and MS. That's one of the things I like best about Sony.

Commercially Nintendo (Brain Training, Nintendogs, Wii Sports/Fit/etc, Professor Layton,  etc) and even Microsoft (Gears of War) have been way more successful.  Sony hasn't even had a new IP crack 5m yet, while Microsoft has and Nintendo's had multiple ones manage it.

/s

what nonsense

I'm not arguing quality, I'm arguing commerical success.  A lot seems to get made of Sony's new IPs being modest successes sales wise, where as Nintendo and MS have both made new IPs that not only did better, but they have many, many more new IPs that have done comparably to Sony's better selling new IPs (Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean, Tomodachi Collection, etc, etc) that tend to go unmentioned. 

Why bring up ME? that game did way way less than impressive...another great example where a good quality game not getting the sale it deseves

Games like UC, LBP, HR, inFamous and so on have done so well....and overall if you look at it collectively PS3 had a pretty impressive start for those new IPs...and it will only will get better..if you check their upcoming line up of games, next year is going to be huge for them exclusive wise

and also considering the market share they have compared to the wii...wouldn't you agree they have done really well? Especially it's only now (well since about an year ago) that they have started to pick up good momentum?

ME outsold every new IP Sony's published except Uncharted, LBP, Resistance and MotorStorm.  And all those games were bundled to hell, and two were mostly pushed due to being launch titles.  If that's "less than impressive" what's that say about Sony's games?  What's that say about Heavy Rain, inFamous, etc?

I do think Sony's been doing well with new IPs, but I'd say they've always done well with new IPs, so in some ways this really isn't 'new'.  I think my favorite period for SCE is still the PSone era, when we got genuinely new IPs and concepts like Parappa, GT, Carnage Heart, Jumping Flash and tons of really unique and interesting games.  These days I think a lot of that pioneering spirit has been lost or shifted, and it correlates to the (relative) fall of their Japan Studio, which is also probably why I'm not so enthusiastic about modern SCE.  That experimental 'spirit' seems to have weirdly transferred to Nintendo actually, with stuff like Elite Beat Agents, electroplankton, Wii Fit, etc.  More oddball, more experimental, even if it doesn't always pan out for them.

I know your probably over this little argument right now, but I'd like to point out that Mass Effect sold 2,241,427 over 144 weeks. Infamous has sold 1,567,150 over 65 weeks. Heavy Rain has sold 1,406,275 over 27 weeks. So making that comparison is kinda ridiculous and ruins your whole 'New Microsoft IP's sell better than new Sony IP's' argument. 

The only thing Microsoft has over Sony when it comes to top selling new IP's is Gears, but now that Uncharted 2 has released, it can at least hope to come close to Gears of War 2 in terms of sales. Gears 2 has sold 5,840,303 in 94 weeks, Uncharted 2 has sold 3,579,385 in 45 weeks. With the little info I have, Uncharted 2 looks to be out pacing Gears in terms of weekly sales after they'd both shared similar time on the market, Gears 2 had a larger opening, but Uncharted 2 is having much better legs. 

Sony also have 9 new IP's that have sold over 1 million copies, Microsoft  has 5. 

Your comments about SCEJ are kinda true, but that really only applies when you overlook PSN. Really, they've released eccentric titles such Echochrome, The Eye of Judgement, Piyotama, LocoRoco, The Last Guy, Trash Panic, Numblast and then you have their retail titles like White Knight Chronicles (with Level 5), Demon's Souls (with From Software) and Siren: Blood Curse. If your referring to Sony in general not offering any unique or interesting games, then I'd point to Little Big Planet, Flower, Heavy Rain, Flow, Noby Noby Boy, Demon's Souls, Afrika, Folklore and EyePet.

Mass Effect was a title I listed as having comparable, not better sales.  All the latter titles I listed were.

Other than that, I don't really disagree with you, though SCEJ's new IPs still leave something to be desired compared to previous generations imo.  And Siren's not a new IP, there were also 2 PS2 games.  And Noby Noby Boy was from Namco.

Xxain said:

I Swear I am always floored by how much Heavy Rain has sold... I was one of those ppl who thought 300k was pushing it.

I'm with ya. I was hoping it performed like it ended up doing but I was skeptical the whole time....Until week one sales and the legs that followed. I may have to check this game out some time soon

Hide your kids, hide your wife

Doobie_wop said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

/s

what nonsense

Wouldn't it be great if this site had a graphing feature for just the comparison....oh wait....didn't it..

Hide your kids, hide your wife

Around the Network

AMAZING

THis is how amazing SONY is internally now, they care about titles and providing fresh experiences.

And Horizon sounds even better than Heavy Rain which is already a very good game, hope they nail the Sci-Fi feel!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

sonys does what sony does best make great games

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...