By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "New IP, not rival battle, is our barometer of success"

jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Sony is the best at new IP's by a mile over Nintendo and MS. That's one of the things I like best about Sony.

Commercially Nintendo (Brain Training, Nintendogs, Wii Sports/Fit/etc, Professor Layton,  etc) and even Microsoft (Gears of War) have been way more successful.  Sony hasn't even had a new IP crack 5m yet, while Microsoft has and Nintendo's had multiple ones manage it.

yeah cuz we all think quantity = quality right?

I heard just dance is so much better than many games out there

/s

what nonsense

I'm not arguing quality, I'm arguing commerical success.  A lot seems to get made of Sony's new IPs being modest successes sales wise, where as Nintendo and MS have both made new IPs that not only did better, but they have many, many more new IPs that have done comparably to Sony's better selling new IPs (Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean, Tomodachi Collection, etc, etc) that tend to go unmentioned. 

Why bring up ME? that game did way way less than impressive...another great example where a good quality game not getting the sale it deseves

Games like UC, LBP, HR, inFamous and so on have done so well....and overall if you look at it collectively PS3 had a pretty impressive start for those new IPs...and it will only will get better..if you check their upcoming line up of games, next year is going to be huge for them exclusive wise

and also considering the market share they have compared to the wii...wouldn't you agree they have done really well? Especially it's only now (well since about an year ago) that they have started to pick up good momentum?

ME outsold every new IP Sony's published except Uncharted, LBP, Resistance and MotorStorm.  And all those games were bundled to hell, and two were mostly pushed due to being launch titles.  If that's "less than impressive" what's that say about Sony's games?  What's that say about Heavy Rain, inFamous, etc?

You said ME has done comparably well to sony new IPs and yet you mention 4 games that have outsold it? really now? and HR not only did it destroy everyones expectations for a niche game it WILL outsell ME at soem point, for certain.

and endless ocean? lost O? did you check their numbers before saying they did comprably 'better' than sony new IPS? Heck even infamous did more than crackdown 1 and 2 (so far)....doesn't matter how you spin it but no most of those games you mentioned have not done as well as Sony New IP's...

And again, some of these games like infamous came out when ps3 was having trouble....it's only now they have picked up steam and moving ahead (the number of users I mean) so it will only get better for them now onwards...

I was just throwing out some comparable games, stuff that sold in the area of 500k-4m, which seems to be Sony's range for successful new IPs.  Why did you deride Mass Effect's sales and then list two games that sold less than it?

inFamous flopped upfront btw... it's done well as a catalog release though, probably in large part due to the $299/slim fueled PS3 resurgence.  Bundling and price drops probably helped quite a bit too, that really seems to be a key part in Sony's success formula for pushing new 1st party IPs (LBP, Motorstorm, Uncharted, etc).

For a change here I thought I might actually have a decent convo with you but you seem to hell bent on spinning things in a negative way for sony no matter what. And it was you who brought out the lists here, not me and you didn't even do that properly. Bundling and price drops are done by all, not just Sony....and the first thing that Sony 1st party are doing to push their new IP's is to actually make them really really good...so much so that they get critical and user praise everywhere. Well maybe not by some users here obviously cuz Sony killed their dog and ran way with their wives.

again given the numbers at the time, those games did really really well....with a better price point now it will only get better...that is all I have to say

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Sony is the best at new IP's by a mile over Nintendo and MS. That's one of the things I like best about Sony.

Commercially Nintendo (Brain Training, Nintendogs, Wii Sports/Fit/etc, Professor Layton,  etc) and even Microsoft (Gears of War) have been way more successful.  Sony hasn't even had a new IP crack 5m yet, while Microsoft has and Nintendo's had multiple ones manage it.

yeah cuz we all think quantity = quality right?

I heard just dance is so much better than many games out there

/s

what nonsense

I'm not arguing quality, I'm arguing commerical success.  A lot seems to get made of Sony's new IPs being modest successes sales wise, where as Nintendo and MS have both made new IPs that not only did better, but they have many, many more new IPs that have done comparably to Sony's better selling new IPs (Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean, Tomodachi Collection, etc, etc) that tend to go unmentioned. 

Why bring up ME? that game did way way less than impressive...another great example where a good quality game not getting the sale it deseves

Games like UC, LBP, HR, inFamous and so on have done so well....and overall if you look at it collectively PS3 had a pretty impressive start for those new IPs...and it will only will get better..if you check their upcoming line up of games, next year is going to be huge for them exclusive wise

and also considering the market share they have compared to the wii...wouldn't you agree they have done really well? Especially it's only now (well since about an year ago) that they have started to pick up good momentum?

ME outsold every new IP Sony's published except Uncharted, LBP, Resistance and MotorStorm.  And all those games were bundled to hell, and two were mostly pushed due to being launch titles.  If that's "less than impressive" what's that say about Sony's games?  What's that say about Heavy Rain, inFamous, etc?

You said ME has done comparably well to sony new IPs and yet you mention 4 games that have outsold it? really now? and HR not only did it destroy everyones expectations for a niche game it WILL outsell ME at soem point, for certain.

and endless ocean? lost O? did you check their numbers before saying they did comprably 'better' than sony new IPS? Heck even infamous did more than crackdown 1 and 2 (so far)....doesn't matter how you spin it but no most of those games you mentioned have not done as well as Sony New IP's...

And again, some of these games like infamous came out when ps3 was having trouble....it's only now they have picked up steam and moving ahead (the number of users I mean) so it will only get better for them now onwards...

I was just throwing out some comparable games, stuff that sold in the area of 500k-4m, which seems to be Sony's range for successful new IPs.  Why did you deride Mass Effect's sales and then list two games that sold less than it?

inFamous flopped upfront btw... it's done well as a catalog release though, probably in large part due to the $299/slim fueled PS3 resurgence.  Bundling and price drops probably helped quite a bit too, that really seems to be a key part in Sony's success formula for pushing new 1st party IPs (LBP, Motorstorm, Uncharted, etc).

For a change here I thought I might actually have a decent convo with you but you seem to hell bent on spinning things in a negative way for sony no matter what. And it was you who brought out the lists here, not me and you didn't even do that properly. Bundling and price drops are done by all, not just Sony....and the first thing that Sony 1st party are doing to push their new IP's is to actually make them really really good...so much so that they get critical and user praise everywhere. Well maybe not by some users here obviously cuz Sony killed their dog and ran way with their wives.

again given the numbers at the time, those games did really really well....with a better price point now it will only get better...that is all I have to say

Sony tends to bundle sooner and more frequently, and more with new IPs frequently at that.  Nintendo and MS tend to bundle games after the fact (sometimes years after launch), and often titles that are already pretty successful too (ie: Halo 3, Forza 2, NSMB, Wii Sports Resort, Brain-Age, etc).  The only real exception was Wii Sports in the west, which is basically a standard pack in.

Also, I said nice stuff about Heavy Rain!   And PSone era SCE (<3)!  :P

Hynad said:
RVDondaPC said:
CGI-Quality said:
RVDondaPC said:

Sony makes the Best IP's in terms of games but unlike NIntendo who makes the most memorable characters Sony is not going to be able to cash in on their IP's forever like NIntendo does. Heavy Rain, MAG, Demon Soul's, etc. are good/great games but are there any carry over characters from those games? The only character IPs that sony made this gen that I think Sony can bank on for a long time is Nathan Drake and possibly Little Big Planet/Sackboy. All the other characters are nothing special. Cole, Nathan Hale, and other characters are good characters in the context of the game but they are not unique enough to stand the test of time like a Mario or Link. 

But that's the bread and butter of Sony. Not a couple of memorable characters, but a plethora of characters that exist throughout an entire gen. Each gen will bring new characters/experiences/games too. The PlayStation will never just be about a few memorable characters, which id a good thing. Each company has their strengths.

Well I'm not complaining as a gamer and I'm not saying it's a bad strategy but from a marketing stand point and sales wise Nintando's strategy is much more sound. Slap Mario on a game or call is "Wii something" and it instantly sells more than it would otherwise. It's instantly recognizable. Sony has to keep selling the consumer on new things. It takes a lot more resources that way. Great diversity for me and you to enjoy but it takes a lot more resources to get it out to the masses. Games like MAG, Heavy Rain, Folklore have zero credibility to start, with someone that isn't hardcore or someone that used to play a lot of games but doesn't have the time to check the internet now days. 

Yeah, just imagine how it could apply to movies eh?

Marty Mcfly: The Dark Knight

Marty Mcfly: The Informant

Marty Mcfly in Shutter Island

Marty Mcfly is The Watchman

Marty Mcfly in Avatar

Surely that would be the best approach!!

They use the same concept in movies already except they use the actors like Leonardo Dicaprio or Robert Dinero to sell movies, since video games are computer generated graphics they use the characters. It's the same thing. Also The Dark Knight is like Batman #7 or #8 and that does a lot better business than trying to create movies from new comic book characters everytime. 

jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

A game doesn't need to sell 5 million to be successful, not many games, even in well established franchises, sell 5 million.

But anyways I was more referring to sheer number of quality new IP's as opposed to commercial success.

Chairman-Mao said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

A game doesn't need to sell 5 million to be successful, not many games, even in well established franchises, sell 5 million.

But anyways I was more referring to sheer number of quality new IP's as opposed to commercial success.

Nintendo's actually introduced more new IPs than Sony and Microsoft combined this gen.  Thing is, they're mostly handheld and a good amount stay JP only.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Nintendo's actually introduced more new IPs than Sony and Microsoft combined this gen.  Thing is, they're mostly handheld and a good amount stay JP only.

Yeah they do really well on the handheld front. It just seems like for home consoles they rely on their well-established franchises like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc. There's no problem at all with that but some new IP's would be nice. The "Wii" series games are great but we need more than just those!

Successful would be to bring a Shadow of Colossus sequel.

Now that would be a great success.

Chairman-Mao said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Yeah they do really well on the handheld front. It just seems like for home consoles they rely on their well-established franchises like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc. There's no problem at all with that but some new IP's would be nice. The "Wii" series games are great but we need more than just those!

Well there's been side stuff like Endless Ocean or Flingsmash, franchise revivals like Punch-Out or Sin & Punishment 2 and more in Japan (Takt of Magic, Zangeki no Reginliev, And Kensaku, etc).  Nintendo's new RPG IPs (Xenoblade and The Last Story) have been getting a good amount of attention too, arguably moreso than any other 1st party RPGs since Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey, and there's been some experimental stuff on WiiWare.  Nintendo does get their regulars in (Mario Kart, Zelda, etc) but they have pretty diverse and expansive lineup really, people just tend to overlook the stuff that isn't Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc and not see the bigger picture.

jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:
jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Well there's been side stuff like Endless Ocean or Flingsmash, franchise revivals like Punch-Out or Sin & Punishment 2 and more in Japan (Takt of Magic, Zangeki no Reginliev, And Kensaku, etc).  Nintendo's new RPG IPs (Xenoblade and The Last Story) have been getting a good amount of attention too, arguably moreso than any other 1st party RPGs since Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey, and there's been some experimental stuff on WiiWare.  Nintendo does get their regulars in (Mario Kart, Zelda, etc) but they have pretty diverse and expansive lineup really, people just tend to overlook the stuff that isn't Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc and not see the bigger picture.

I forgot about some of those games, thanks for reminding me. Now that my family has a wii I should give some of those games a try!

It only does new IP

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5