By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "New IP, not rival battle, is our barometer of success"

CGI-Quality said:
Boutros said:

Is The Last Guardian a new IP?

Technically, yes. They said it wasn't a sequel to SotC or Ico, but took place in the same universe (similar with FFvXIII and FFXIII).

Yeah, really it depends how you define new IP.  If there can be nothing taken from another game for the IP to be new then the fact that TLR, SotC and Ico occur in the same universe means they're the same IP.  Personally I think of SotC and Ico as so different in gameplay, storyline, and characterization that I think it's unfair to call them the same IP, but I can see where the argument comes from.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

He said: "There are a whole number of metrics we could measure success by, but for me on a worldwide studios side of things, there's nothing more gratifying than when we break new IPs - innovative games we bring to PlayStation fans.:

He said that it was gratifying but he didn't say that it was their barometer of success. Read it again.

If that's in regard to the thread title, that's the title of the article.

Regardless, that's what he's saying. He measures the success on what new ideas and properties Sony brings to the table.

Badly titled article.

In any case, it was an interesting opinion and it gives us some insight into the personal wants/wishes of some of the high level SCE crew.

Tease.

Yea this new IPs are great and all

but where the (Insert curse word here)is Journey

Do I really have to wait till next year?

Joel12345 said:

Did they not already say it's gonna be 2011? :S I might be wrong

but I read a small preview of the game and it sounds mind blowing...will be worth the wait

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Joel12345 said:

Did they not already say it's gonna be 2011? :S I might be wrong

but I read a small preview of the game and it sounds mind blowing...will be worth the wait

I guess your right.

Around the Network

Sony makes the Best IP's in terms of games but unlike NIntendo who makes the most memorable characters Sony is not going to be able to cash in on their IP's forever like NIntendo does. Heavy Rain, MAG, Demon Soul's, etc. are good/great games but are there any carry over characters from those games? The only character IPs that sony made this gen that I think Sony can bank on for a long time is Nathan Drake and possibly Little Big Planet/Sackboy. All the other characters are nothing special. Cole, Nathan Hale, and other characters are good characters in the context of the game but they are not unique enough to stand the test of time like a Mario or Link. 

Severance said:
demonfox13 said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Sony is the best at new IP's by a mile over Nintendo and MS. That's one of the things I like best about Sony.

Although I agree with you, it's best to state "IMO" because if there is anything I have learned in VGC is that nothing in the world tops Nintendo. For me though I can no longer play a Mario game, nor pokemon, nor Zelda, nor the various party games (other M i look forward to thoug). I think Sony has gambled and considering how horrible they did with the PS3 launch (damn you Kutaragi) they have managed to improve upon many things. Uncharted series surprised me, so did LBP and its community. I know Zucas will sooner or later appear to criticize LBP but heres my anticipation to his hatred for create/share type games: I have not created the first level in LBP but playing the tons of existing ones from other people has been soooooo much fun, and thankfully a platformer does not need any relevant or even halfway decent plot (look at main Mario titles). Also I've had tons of fun with Heavy Rain, Flower, Fat Princess, etc,

he is talking about new IPs , the only new ip i can think of by Nintendo is the "Wii (something)" games

nintendo was never the one with new IPs but thats the charm of them actually, not the weakness.

Edit : i also forgot about Nintendogs and Professor Layton

This. I was just talking about this gen not all time.

PS3 has Resistance, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, MAG, LittleBigPlanet and more. As Severance said all Nintendo really has that's notable is the Wii series.

Boutros said:
CGI-Quality said:
Boutros said:

Is The Last Guardian a new IP?

Technically, yes. They said it wasn't a sequel to SotC or Ico, but took place in the same universe (similar with FFvXIII and FFXIII).

Ok because last time jarrod was telling me that a new IP needs to be a whole new universe.

For example, he said Folklore isn't a new IP because it's in the same world as a very obscure game on the PSP (I don't remember what it was).

I think it's pretty silly. That's why I prefer the word franchise over IP.

Folklore is it's own game. I've heard about that PSP game in question. It was released after Folklore so no matter how you look at it, Folklore's a new IP this gen. And after looking up as much as I could about Coded Soul (the psp game), both games have you collecting monsters to use but that's pretty much it. Gameplay, story, execution, EVERYTHING is different from Folklore. They also had different developers and nothing to do with each other. Only real thing connecting the two is a patch that lets you switch monsters between the two games. Still, stuff like shared content between to different franchises isn't uncommon. MGS4 with Altair's out fit. Teasers of Jak and Ratchet in the other franchises games, etc.

CGI-Quality said:
RVDondaPC said:

Sony makes the Best IP's in terms of games but unlike NIntendo who makes the most memorable characters Sony is not going to be able to cash in on their IP's forever like NIntendo does. Heavy Rain, MAG, Demon Soul's, etc. are good/great games but are there any carry over characters from those games? The only character IPs that sony made this gen that I think Sony can bank on for a long time is Nathan Drake and possibly Little Big Planet/Sackboy. All the other characters are nothing special. Cole, Nathan Hale, and other characters are good characters in the context of the game but they are not unique enough to stand the test of time like a Mario or Link. 

But that's the bread and butter of Sony. Not a couple of memorable characters, but a plethora of characters that exist throughout an entire gen. Each gen will bring new characters/experiences/games too. The PlayStation will never just be about a few memorable characters, which id a good thing. Each company has their strengths.

Well I'm not complaining as a gamer and I'm not saying it's a bad strategy but from a marketing stand point and sales wise Nintando's strategy is much more sound. Slap Mario on a game or call is "Wii something" and it instantly sells more than it would otherwise. It's instantly recognizable. Sony has to keep selling the consumer on new things. It takes a lot more resources that way. Great diversity for me and you to enjoy but it takes a lot more resources to get it out to the masses. Games like MAG, Heavy Rain, Folklore have zero credibility to start, with someone that isn't hardcore or someone that used to play a lot of games but doesn't have the time to check the internet now days. 

RVDondaPC said:
CGI-Quality said:
RVDondaPC said:

But that's the bread and butter of Sony. Not a couple of memorable characters, but a plethora of characters that exist throughout an entire gen. Each gen will bring new characters/experiences/games too. The PlayStation will never just be about a few memorable characters, which id a good thing. Each company has their strengths.

Well I'm not complaining as a gamer and I'm not saying it's a bad strategy but from a marketing stand point and sales wise Nintando's strategy is much more sound. Slap Mario on a game or call is "Wii something" and it instantly sells more than it would otherwise. It's instantly recognizable. Sony has to keep selling the consumer on new things. It takes a lot more resources that way. Great diversity for me and you to enjoy but it takes a lot more resources to get it out to the masses. Games like MAG, Heavy Rain, Folklore have zero credibility to start, with someone that isn't hardcore or someone that used to play a lot of games but doesn't have the time to check the internet now days. 

Yeah, just imagine how it could apply to movies eh?

Marty Mcfly: The Dark Knight

Marty Mcfly: The Informant

Marty Mcfly in Shutter Island

Marty Mcfly is The Watchman

Marty Mcfly in Avatar

Surely that would be the best approach!!