By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS Move will fail

So I am still in a hurry, but I will post some thoughts.

First: I don't get the hating. Discussion is cool, you may not agree with me, but attacking the person and not the opinion is never ever a good thing.

Second: Sure there are casual titles for Move. But it seems like Sony tries to market Move as a more hardcore device than a casual one. I think that there are VERY very few hardcore gamers interested in motion controls anyway. So I think Sony is wasting time and money to advertise Move to the hardcore players.

The marketing for Move wasn't / isn't big (yet) in the first place. Neither can I see people picking up Move for Killzone 3 / Socom nor can I see people picking up Killzone 3 or Socom for Move.

Casual titles in general need more advertising than hardcore titles. This is what Ubisoft said and I would agree. So the limited marketing for PS Move needs to be used very efficient. We all know MS will drop one of the biggest marketing campaigns this industry has ever seen to promote Kinect. It already started 12 weeks before its release. Sony needs to show us the social aspect of the PS Move. To advertise Move-features for hardcore games won't do the trick.

Is it just marketing or the 'innovative-factor' but I see more hype aroung Dance Central than any PS Move compatible game.
Kinect Harry Potter is NOT my type of game and I won't pick it up, but it just delivers straight to the audience MS and Sony are aiming at. Justin Bieber playing Kinect, Smallville actors using it etc. you don't see anything like that for Move. I doubt Sony has a chance to get the casuals this holiday season.

Note: I NEVER said the PS Move is a bad product. It certainly isn't. If you are looking forward to it, go and preorder it today. All I am saying is that PS Move might not sell that well overall, because of the points I mentioned before.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

First: I don't get the hating. Discussion is cool, you may not agree with me, but attacking the person and not the opinion is never ever a good thing.

Second: Sure there are casual titles for Move. But it seems like Sony tries to market Move as a more hardcore device than a casual one. I think that there are VERY very few hardcore gamers interested in motion controls anyway. So I think Sony is wasting time and money to advertise Move to the hardcore players.

The marketing for Move wasn't / isn't big (yet) in the first place. Neither can I see people picking up Move for Killzone 3 / Socom nor can I see people picking up Killzone 3 or Socom for Move.

Casual titles in general need more advertising than hardcore titles. This is what Ubisoft said and I would agree. So the limited marketing for PS Move needs to be used very efficient. We all know MS will drop one of the biggest marketing campaigns this industry has ever seen to promote Kinect. It already started 12 weeks before its release. Sony needs to show us the social aspect of the PS Move. To advertise Move-features for hardcore games won't do the trick.

Is it just marketing or the 'innovative-factor' but I see more hype aroung Dance Central than any PS Move compatible game.
Kinect Harry Potter is NOT my type of game and I won't pick it up, but it just delivers straight to the audience MS and Sony are aiming at. Justin Bieber playing Kinect, Smallville actors using it etc. you don't see anything like that for Move. I doubt Sony has a chance to get the casuals this holiday season.

Note: I NEVER said the PS Move is a bad product. It certainly isn't. If you are looking forward to it, go and preorder it today. All I am saying is that PS Move might not sell that well overall, because of the points I mentioned before.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

"PS Move might not sell that well overall" is very different from "why ps move will fail"

there is a difference between failure and selling less than Kinect which you are having an issue with. Yes, Kinect will sell more, it's more innovative and so far has the killer games, but Move will do fine TOO.

But that Dance Central will sell crazy numbers

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Kinect should sell more in a short term but in a long term I'm not sure.

And another advantage (in sales) of the Move is able to sell more than one unit to the same buyer.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

Second: Sure there are casual titles for Move. But it seems like Sony tries to market Move as a more hardcore device than a casual one. I think that there are VERY very few hardcore gamers interested in motion controls anyway. So I think Sony is wasting time and money to advertise Move to the hardcore players. I don't remember SONY at E3, TGS or Gamescon showing off move with strictly hardcore games. I remember one showing in the early days with Resident Evil 5, that's pretty much it. Everything else has been strictly casual. Even when they're showing montages the bulk of Move montages consist mainly of colorful games and clips of families enjoying the move. if you're using forum hype to judge casual interest, you're getting the wrong info. 

The marketing for Move wasn't / isn't big (yet) in the first place. Neither can I see people picking up Move for Killzone 3 / Socom nor can I see people picking up Killzone 3 or Socom for Move. Don't know about Killzone but a lot of SOCOM players are pretty interested in the Move JUST BECAUSE of SOCOM. And I still find it funny that you continue to talk about SONY advertising it as a hardcore device yet you only have two hardcore game examples compared to the lists of casual software people are posting. It's as if you want SONY to not offer any core options at all.

Casual titles in general need more advertising than hardcore titles. This is what Ubisoft said and I would agree. So the limited marketing for PS Move needs to be used very efficient. We all know MS will drop one of the biggest marketing campaigns this industry has ever seen to promote Kinect. It already started 12 weeks before its release. Sony needs to show us the social aspect of the PS Move. To advertise Move-features for hardcore games won't do the trick. They haven't been advertising hardcore titles much at all... every ounce of promotion I've seen has been primarily casual focused. Are you talking about forums? PR? Who reads into PR? Casuals don't... so of course in PR they're gonna say the stuff that people who actually look this stuff up are gonna want to hear.

Note: I NEVER said the PS Move is a bad product. It certainly isn't. If you are looking forward to it, go and preorder it today. All I am saying is that PS Move might not sell that well overall, because of the points I mentioned before. No... that's not what you said... what you said was "fail".

DirtyP2002 said:

I hope so. It doesn't need to sell well in the begining. In 2011 there will be more promising games with MOVE Support (Killzone 2, Sorcery, Ni no Kuni) so Sony can still start advertising later on.

DirtyP2002 said:

When the title is "Why PS move will fail" and you make abstractions of the reality in order to prove your point. Add to that, half of your essay praise another device instead of explaining why PS move will fail. Please, dont be surprise people attack your neutrality instead of your opinion.

Note: You said "why PS move will fail", not that it might not sell that well overall.

Surprised this discussion is still going, plenty of users have already pointed out that move won't fail.

since 2006 anything Sony gaming related will always be DOOOOOMMMED!!!!