By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guild Wars 2 To Be 10xTimes Better Than World of Warcraft?

Watch the new trailer on the website (below)

http://www.guildwars2.com/

one thing GW doesn't have is MONTHLY FEES,

This game looks like it's going to blow every RPG MMO out of the water!

Thoughts?

Around the Network

It doesn't have subscription fees because they plan to release DLC every year. First additional expansion pack or episode is almost certainly going to be released in about 1 year from original release. Of course, there's probably some DLC within months of release. If those won't sell, servers are going to be shut down (just as with all other failed MMO's) and you can't play even original game anymore. Those are only 2 options, either pay subscription fee or DLC. Either way, players have to pay every year or game is going to die because maintaining game and servers cost money all the time.

Also, Guild Wars isn't a "real" MMO. At least original Guild Wars was mostly instanced (except couple of towns), meaning there is no open world for all players of the game. When you are exploring the game world, the only human players in area are your own group and everyone else are NPC. That also makes server costs much smaller. And GW2 has the same approach. Doesn't mean that GW is any worse than "real" MMO's though, it's just different...

GW2 does seem a very good game but don't expect pay for the game once and then play forever without a cost.

Yeah good game.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I'll wait for Rainbird's opinion.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Untamoi said:

It doesn't have subscription fees because they plan to release DLC every year. First additional expansion pack or episode is almost certainly going to be released in about 1 year from original release. Of course, there's probably some DLC within months of release. If those won't sell, servers are going to be shut down (just as with all other failed MMO's) and you can't play even original game anymore. Those are only 2 options, either pay subscription fee or DLC. Either way, players have to pay every year or game is going to die because maintaining game and servers cost money all the time.

Also, Guild Wars isn't a "real" MMO. At least original Guild Wars was mostly instanced (except couple of towns), meaning there is no open world for all players of the game. When you are exploring the game world, the only human players in area are your own group and everyone else are NPC. That also makes server costs much smaller. And GW2 has the same approach. Doesn't mean that GW is any worse than "real" MMO's though, it's just different...

GW2 does seem a very good game but don't expect pay for the game once and then play forever without a cost.

This.

Around the Network
Untamoi said:

Guild Wars 2 isn't instanced anymore... dungeons are I think, but the overall world isn't.

Untamoi said:

Guild Wars has been  a huge success, last time I checked it had shifted 6 Million copies and has been going for 6 years almost,

Guild wars is still playable so I'm not quite sure where you've seen it's  not playable.

I'm cool with DLC expansions, bottom line the design of the game looks in a different league compared with other MMO's! GW2 FTW

I remeber hearing these same predictions about Aion.....and Warhammer Online...

i hope GW2 is better than the first (which, IMO, sucked). maybe ill check it out sometime but with the new WoW expansion coming, my computer time will be tied...

10 times better than WoW is an understatement! I think WoW sucks horribly though, so it's relative, but still.

Honestly, this game looks to be absolutely incredible, and it's amazing how well the demo was received at GamesCom, the game won Online Game of the Show! And thanks for the support huaxiong90.

Untamoi said:

You won't have to pay for anything apart from the game, just like with the first Guild Wars. You can easily have bought only the original campaign and still jump in now and play the game again. ArenaNet have created content that people want though, and that's how they make money. They don't force you to buy anything, they create stuff you want to buy, because that content is awesome.

And true, Guild Wars was heavily instanced, but Guild Wars 2 is a persistent world with few instances that are used for dungeons and storytelling.

Guild Wars 2 will shake the foundations of persistent online worlds!

Heres my 2 cents. 

Guildwars 2 will not achieve the success of WoW. As the thread titles questions. GuildWars 2 has been made already. It's called Darkfall. Though reputation, publishers, marketing all play a part. So GW2 will be more successful.

Rather than go on that GW2 doesn't offering anything you can't find else where. I will go on to say instead. that GW2 looks like a good conglomeration of many aspects of RPG's that have come before. I'm sure GW2 will do well.

Why will GW2 fail like other MMO. Why it won't be a WoW killer. I know it's hard for many people to understand(no actually it's not). But GW2 already failed based on the video link. Why? because 99% of what the developers talked about were focused on 1 aspect. "Our product is cool. Play our Product. Our Product is great". That's why GW2 will fail. That's why Conan, Warhammer...... all fail. They try to take WoW and top it. Sorry FAIL.

Why EQ and WoW succeeded.
Verant Entertainment when they developed EQ remade classic MUD like experiences with 3D graphics. This offered a NEW EXPERIENCE that had never really been done before. Once EQ built it's user base no other EQ clones(Asherons Call...) ever succeeded as much. Verrant got lucky. They didn't understand why they suceeded. That's why EQ2 got stomped so badly by WoW.

Blizzard is not a company that makes games for the sake of something cool. Blizzards games always succeed because of something that other companies just don't get. Blizzard games are made around the gamers behavior. That's why Blizzard games are "easy to learn, hard to master". They was to encourage people to get in with easy rewarding game play. But invest their time over a long period of time by slowly increasing the skills of the player. So that they are encouraged to keep on playing.

WoW is built on Player/Consumer behavior. If you could find many of the old interviews. You will find that many of their game development choices are based around the gamer and their play habits. This is why WoW succeeds where other WoW clones fail. The other clones think they can flap their wings and fly. Rather than understand the nature of aerodynamics and flight itself.

Why GW2 will not be a WoW killer and end up in obscurity. Simply put listen to the video. All they ever talk about is the game and not the people. Hmmmm anyone ever remember the early Nintendo discussions about the Wii? they talked about the people.

However from a gamer perspective. I can easily see that the GW2 design being superior. Though much of that is built on the backs of other games since WoW release. However. Even before WoW I always wanted to make a computer game with a dynamic living thriving world. Where the actions of the players would dictate the outcome of areas. Those choices would then shift nearby areas and continue to down the road. GW2 sounds like it may have that. So I WILL by this game. I will LIKE this game. But I think it will not be a WoW killer. Sounds like this game was built for my attention.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.