By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Months Have Passed, Dust Settled; Rate FFXIII!

Months Have Passed, Dust Settled; Rate FFXIII!

Best game ever! 12 3.51%

Best FF game ever! 21 6.14%

Good, but not my favorite FF game. 114 33.33%

Decent, but lots of better RPGs out there. 88 25.73%

Bad. It isn't enjoyable. 48 14.04%

Awful. A waste of money and time. 59 17.25%

Total:342

wors rpg i ever played. well its the first jrpg i ever played. i only play wrpgs elder scrolls, dragon age origins..... the story was boring, the gameplay was bad, and the characters were gay, i hated it!

after 2 hours i gave up.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

I've never been a FF guy, but this, I'm playing right now, and although not a superb game, it is a good one at least.

Probably say the same as I've always done but here's my opinion.

It was the worse FF game I've played, that said it as I have enjoyed every FF game and would rate nigh on all of then as 8/10 plus (including X-2), this could easily be a 7/10 and therefore a good game to play.

Sadly, I don't think it is. While the graphics were excellent, I didn't mind the linear path as many FF games start that way but the world felt closed in even on the bit you could explore, having to unlock certain parts. I didn't mind the voice acting nor the characters except Hope, hated him.

It could have done with less dataloging narrative and actually explaining itself in game like every previous FF game. A little back story is fine but generally you start most FF games as a clean slate ready to learn. This had information and terms thrown at you expecting you to either know what they were or pause the game and go do some reading so you'd know. 

Battle system was frantic and flawed by the ease of death and lack of patience. Changing classes was nice and somewhat smoothened the battle but was better done in FFX-2. Enemies having one hit kills too shouldn't occur when if only your main character dies you game over, I guess that's why they added the 'retry'.

Leveling up was fine, infact best part of it, kinda like FFX's sphere grid, which was nice but should have been 'cheaper' to upgrade a class that wasn't the common one the character uses. It would mean a repeat play would end up the same while in other FF games you could change it around. Summons felt pointless too other then using it as a revive spell. Weapon upgrades were a bit weird too, apparently there is an actual pattern to it, which I only just found out. Not that I'm going to go back and do it.

Overall poor, some good bits but none of the good make it up. 

Hmm, pie.

Icyedge said:
Scoobes said:
  • Poor story-telling techniques. I'm not talking about the cut-scenes but the data-log. Having a text book of lore to read on screen off the menu ruins immersion, but is neccessary to get a full understanding of the story. Many games (including Final Fantasys) have used the interactivity of games to help tell the story, instead they made it completely passive.

Your not the first to say that, but personally I didnt check the data log once. Sure they dont literally explain what is falcie, lcie, cocoon ect but you understand soon enough by playing the game. I actually think the story telling was one of the strong point of this FF.

In the cut-scenes and main story I agree. They concentrated on character development over pure storyline but it worked fairly well. It was the details I had an issue with. They didn't embrace the interactivity of games as a story-telling medium when it came to the details. It's odd because I can point to FPS' (namely Half-Life 2) that embrace interactivity for storytelling more than FFXIII.

Scoobes said:
Icyedge said:
Scoobes said:
  • Poor story-telling techniques. I'm not talking about the cut-scenes but the data-log. Having a text book of lore to read on screen off the menu ruins immersion, but is neccessary to get a full understanding of the story. Many games (including Final Fantasys) have used the interactivity of games to help tell the story, instead they made it completely passive.

Your not the first to say that, but personally I didnt check the data log once. Sure they dont literally explain what is falcie, lcie, cocoon ect but you understand soon enough by playing the game. I actually think the story telling was one of the strong point of this FF.

In the cut-scenes and main story I agree. They concentrated on character development over pure storyline but it worked fairly well. It was the details I had an issue with. They didn't embrace the interactivity of games as a story-telling medium when it came to the details. It's odd because I can point to FPS' (namely Half-Life 2) that embrace interactivity for storytelling more than FFXIII.

Your not the only one who thinks that. it feels like the gameplay is an ubstruction you have to over come so you can watch the next cutscene. the developers dont seem to undertand a game is meant to be played, not to be watched. maybe it could be tollerated, but every cutscene seemed to regurgitate the same thing..."its our focus, Serah said so". point is that cutscenes dont make a game, gameplay does!! it dosent help that we had lines like "hold on baby your hero's on the way". imo the script writing and desgin choices were poor.

Around the Network

I liked the game a lot.  I bought the ps3 version of the game and the gameplay, characters, voice acting, graphics, sound etc for the most part are great.  The only thing I didn't like was that the story was just decent not great.  There are a few memorable moments but not as many as I'm used to having in a final fantasy title.

darthdevidem01 said:

9.7/10

One of the best FF's

Pro's:

- Fantastic mythology/lore especially if you read the analects and so on. Lots of potential to be expanded upon in Versus XIII and Agito XIII

- Fabulous cast of characters except Vanille who is one of the worst ones ever. But you have Lightning, Fang who are some of the best ever.

- Surprisingly very good music even though it wasn't Uematsu. Has memorable tracks but sometimes in the wrong place.

- Best battle system in the series that mixes FFX-2 and adds its own elements.

- Good story that keeps you hooked but not the best story by any means.

- Gran Pulse, chapter 5/6/7/8/9 were all phenomenol and some of the best time I've had in gaming (especially chapter 7/8 and 11).

- A few CGI cut scenes leave your breathless (Chapter 11/12 opening)

Con's:

- Lack of variety and freedom kills the replay value unless you want to do a NO CRYSTARIUM USE play through.

- Vanille

- The story doesn't live up to the great characters and the amazing mythology/lore created. There is much lost potential in this games story.

- The script/writing 

Overall its one of the best FF's and much better than the last 2 Main FF releases (FFX-2, FFXII). 

Ironic that we both gave it the exact same score lol. But like always, I have to come to Vanille`s defense and say that she is one of my favorite characters in the series. Don`t know how you hate her so much Darth lol.

Also, I can`t believe I forgot to mention the music in my post. It is some of the best music I`ve heard in a game this generation.

Great my fav FF.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

A203D said:

i didnt know you liked it so much darth... i personally think that it was about an 8 maybe 7.5, and i think FF12 was a superior game. didnt really think Lighting or Fang were that good, they were just OTT, not realistic enough like Fran or Ashe, imo. i thought the characters in 13 were an evolution of FF10 characters, who i really didnt like. anyway i could go on and on about why i thought 12 was better, but i wont, the music was incredible thou, really good.

does anyone else dislike the way the Kitase is taking the series. i mean in FF13 we do walk foward - battle - cutscene, repeat. i think there were far too many cutscenes, about 6 hours worth. i think there are more ways to tell a story, and gameplay is one of them.

Well he hyped it in advance for like 2 years. I honestly think he's in denial  

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
A203D said:

i didnt know you liked it so much darth... i personally think that it was about an 8 maybe 7.5, and i think FF12 was a superior game. didnt really think Lighting or Fang were that good, they were just OTT, not realistic enough like Fran or Ashe, imo. i thought the characters in 13 were an evolution of FF10 characters, who i really didnt like. anyway i could go on and on about why i thought 12 was better, but i wont, the music was incredible thou, really good.

does anyone else dislike the way the Kitase is taking the series. i mean in FF13 we do walk foward - battle - cutscene, repeat. i think there were far too many cutscenes, about 6 hours worth. i think there are more ways to tell a story, and gameplay is one of them.

Well he hyped in advance for like 2 years. I honestly think he's in denial  

I' m starting a thread for FF12 tommorow, where i'm hoping to meet a lot of FF12 & 13 fans, hopefully talk about something like this. but yeah i was also in denial when FF13 came out. i rushed to the defense of Kitase and Toriyama. But anyway, i understand why fans like darth and akibafan loved it, but i dont necessarily agree with those reasons. either way i have to get up for work tommorow at 4.30, (nooooo) so hopefully we can discuss this type of thing on my thread tommorow.